Thread: Frost DPS Help?

Frost DPS Help?

Hi,

Ok - I'm struggling here. I used to be a DK tank, but as the guild has got too many tanks at the moment, I've switched to DPS but I'm really struggling to get my DPS right. I'm about 20k less than the other DK in the guild (and on some fights I'm only doing half the dps!) and my gear isn't that much worse than theirs.

I've checked various guides and I think I'm doing stuff right - so can't work out what's gone wrong. I'm 2h Frost spec but checking the guides I've found, they all say there's not really that much difference between any of the DPS specs (2h unholy, 2h frost or DW frost) anymore and they should all do comparable damage if you get them right. I'm trying to use KM procs on obliterate, although with the cooldown on that a lot of those procs seem to pop just after I've cast obliterate and it proc is used with frost strike instead.

Here's a WoL link to a recent raid I did : http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...es7/details/4/

Oh - and my armoury details : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Velsen/simple

Can anyone spot what I'm screwing up? Is it easier DW frost (thinking about the issue with KM procs - you're more likely to be able to Frost strike whenever you get a proc than obliterate?)

One glaring thing is your disease uptime. Anytime you Obliterate with one disease missing it loses 12.5% of it's damage. Which, when they're hitting for around 100k, is A LOT. Maybe try to set up weak auras/TellMeWhen to show your diseases on the boss to avoid that in the future.

PoF was used 4 times on a 6 minute fight, you could have squeezed at least one more in. Unless you're saving it for some very particular reason, try to use it as often as possible. It really helps.

And it looks like you're playing the DW Masterforst priority even though you're geared for 2H haste. It shows you did 28 Obliterates (I'm looking at stone guards) and 50 howling blasts, yet the obliterates still did more damage. You should focus on using OB as much as possible.

That's all I can think of. The big one will be better disease uptime really. 50% on Blood Plague is going to gimp you a lot. As far as DW, it is a little trickier, but it can be more rewarding, especially on fights that have more than 1 target.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Thanks for the tips - I'll go and grab weakauras and try and set that up.

What should I be doing when Obliterate is still on cooldown though? I tend to fill that with howling blasts? Is that wrong?

Yeah you should be frost striking there. If you fill that time with howling blast that makes the cool down of obliterate longer because HB uses half of the runes needed for OB

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    And it looks like you're playing the DW Masterforst priority even though you're geared for 2H haste.
    Can you tell me the difference? I don't really know what my priorities are called, my DK is DW-Frost and I go for haste, the priority I use is Diseases -> Soul Reaper on under 35% HP -> Howling Blast (Rime Procc) -> Frost Strike (KM Procc) -> Frost Strike (Runic Power about to cap) -> Obliterate -> Howling Blast

Quote Originally Posted by Koganor View Post
    Can you tell me the difference? I don't really know what my priorities are called, my DK is DW-Frost and I go for haste, the priority I use is Diseases -> Soul Reaper on under 35% HP -> Howling Blast (Rime Procc) -> Frost Strike (KM Procc) -> Frost Strike (Runic Power about to cap) -> Obliterate -> Howling Blast
    You need to use Obliterate on KM procs not FS, FS only when you are near the RP cap or have nothing else too do.
    Its Diseases > Soul Reaper > Rime procc HB > Oblit on KM proc > FS (at or near RP cap) > Oblit > FS > HB
    I have loved to the point of madness; That which is called madness, That which to me, is the only sensible way to love.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eeket/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Koganor View Post
    If you want to play like this, go heavy mastery. That's also suggested for DW because its specialization grants extra frost strike damage so going heavy mastery doubles into that. But, switch ob as FS in your rotation if you're going haste.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to replace that Mogu trink, that thing is terrible compared to a Relic Of Xuen which can be had for a good price nowadays. You should see a nice dps jump with that alone, and as long as you line up your trink procs correctly, you should see even a bigger jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Laroux View Post
    You need to replace that Mogu trink, that thing is terrible compared to a Relic Of Xuen which can be had for a good price nowadays. You should see a nice dps jump with that alone, and as long as you line up your trink procs correctly, you should see even a bigger jump.
    Definitely get the Relic of Xuen. I bought it the second week of the expansion and my DPS went up 5k just from that. We're currently on Heroic Elegon and I still haven't replaced the Relic yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarosia View Post
    You need to use Obliterate on KM procs not FS, FS only when you are near the RP cap or have nothing else too do.
    Its Diseases > Soul Reaper > Rime procc HB > Oblit on KM proc > FS (at or near RP cap) > Oblit > FS > HB
    Wrong, as dual wield frost you do not use your KM Procs with Obliterate. You use your FS with KM procs because of the buff you get on frost strikes for dual wielding.
    Stack Mastery as dual wield also.
    Throw down DnD to keep unholy rune on cooldown. And spam swap between FS and HB.
    Last edited by Xabris; 2012-12-11 at 12:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing to add on to what Xabris said: I think, since DW gains KM procs so quickly, sometimes in back-to-back chains so fast you can barely spend them all, it's better to spend KM immediately than to sit on it like 2H does.

In other words, always prefer to use Frost Strike to consume KM. But if KM is up and you're RP starved or otherwise want to avoid spending RP right this moment (no depleted Runes with RE, etc), or are flooding on resources (mass Haste effect, etc) just Oblit to use up the KM immediately.

My gut instinct is that, for DW, allowing KM to overwrite itself is worse than Oblitting a KM.

Deleted
    Wow, only 20k ?

Well, i can easily do around 70-90k DPS during, off pop diseases > Howling blast as much as you can, then frost strike and obli, "prefer using oblit when it pops than wasting it on frost strike" > Rune tap, rune tap, rune tap everytime it hits about 5-6 > Repeat.

I'm 2H too.

Deleted
    I'm just going to add some tips to previous advices:

1) Replace NOW (litterally) your JP trinket. I mean, seriously?

2) Don't gem haste. You are not at this point, yet.

3) Get RE over BT. I don't think you can manage it and even if you could you'd need to manage it perfectly to see a really small dps increase (most of the time it'll be a dsp loss).