Deleted

New GPU calls for new cables - will this work?

Hello, I'm writing this to inquire about a new GPU I'm going to be getting and a question about the display cables. My current card has one display cable of each VGA, HDMI and DVI

MSI (Nvidia) GeForce GT 430:

My current monitor has hooked up to it a VGA cable. The GPU I'm looking at (MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk, which is MSI's take on a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti) has 2 DVI-I connectors in the back and one mini-HDMI connector.

MSI (Nvidia GeForce) N560GTX-Ti Hawk:

Simple question: Why are there 2 DVI-I connectors? My monitor has one DVI output and no HDMI outputs at all. You can get a DVI-HDMI adapter but I'm wondering whether it's worth it.

Can I run the card functionally with one DVI cable connected into one of the DVI-I slots? Or will I have to get a DVI-HDMI adapter and plug my DVI into the HDMI slot?

Even then, will the one input to the HDMI slot be enough? Do I need more than one cable coming out of my GPU? I hate cables.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok for the first question unless you are wanting sound to come from your monitor (if it has speakers) there is no reason to use the HDMI connector the DVI has the same quality it just doesn't have a sound signal like the HDMI.

Yeah you just use one of the DVI connectors for your monitor if you had another monitor you can hook it up to the other DVI connector.

You only need the one cable going from you DVI to your monitor.

Deleted
    Thanks a bunch. Like I say, I hate cables, and I use headphones so sound isn't an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if somebody is selling you a used 560ti or if you are getting one for a good deal but the HD7850 should cost less and is a better performer.

Deleted
    I'm having a ganders at this one now: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-154-MS&tool=3 and it seems superior to the Nvidia card, thanks for giving me the heads up.

Has to be from Overclockers UK since I got an RMA on a faulty card and if they give us a credit note then we'll have £185 to spend there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that MSI is a really good card I'm running a 7850 and really enjoy it haven't had any problems with it so far.