Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    When your rhetoric revolves around justifying oppression and denying others basic human rights, we have every right to call you on it.
    Oppression...lol, give me a break. And all the Democrats wanna takes away our guns.

See what I did there? I generalized the left's overall position on their fringe's ideology.

Right wing as in "right", not the direction Conservatives are usually correct in everything they say, thus the term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Right wing as in "right", not the direction Conservatives are usually correct in everything they say, thus the term.
    Like how they were right on Romney winning by a landslide?
    Wiping is Fun! ™

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    Oppression...lol, give me a break. And all the Democrats wanna takes away our guns.

See what I did there? I generalized the left's overall position on their fringe's ideology.
    There's a point where principle must compromise with practice. Even though your post may be ironic, I feel obliged to reply to it. To restrict gun ownership and use is simply a reasonable derivative of statistics comparing societies with more or less gun control contra gun violence, accidental deaths, suicides, murders etc.. Politics is hugely a compromise between liberty and security, and in this case the democrats take the side of security. And come on, what's so friggin' great about owning a gun anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    There's a point where principle must compromise with practice. Even though your post may be ironic, I feel obliged to reply to it. To restrict gun ownership and use is simply a reasonable derivative of statistics comparing societies with more or less gun control contra gun violence, accidental deaths, suicides, murders etc.. Politics is hugely a compromise between liberty and security, and in this case the democrats take the side of security. And come on, what's so friggin' great about owning a gun anyway?
    A government that thinks twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please elaborate. Are you appealing to the idea that members of government would act more carefully with threats of gun violence from the population in their minds?
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

Im pretty sure your common gun will stop a tank.

I just think its because conservatives want everything to stay as it was - or as they think it was - and the past usually being more authoritarian they are the authoritarian ones while the progressives are the those seeking away from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please elaborate. Are you appealing to the idea that members of government would act more carefully with threats of gun violence from the population in their minds?
    That's the ultimate reason. There's a number of reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roveredo View Post
    In such a scenario, the vast majority of the military would side with the people anyway. As far as a revolution goes anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    In such a scenario, the vast majority of the military would side with the people anyway. As far as a revolution goes anyway.
    But then, if the army's on your side, why would YOU need a gun?
    Wiping is Fun! ™

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rommon64 View Post
    But then, if the army's on your side, why would YOU need a gun?
    Majority the key word. We can get into a discussion about this but..lol I can't even remember the topic of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I consider right wing ideals to be selfish and have a harsh "every man for himself" mentality. Conserving ancient ideals at the expense of others (mostly minorities) fits with that.
    You unfortunately have a very poor and unintelligent understanding of conservatism.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the ultimate reason. There's a number of reasons.
    That's just dumb. Firstly it doesn't seem effective, U.S. politicians tend to say and do way more stupid and offensive shit than politicians in countries with gun control. And secondly, even if it was effective, is that the relationship you would want? Government officials feeling legitimately life-threatened from its citizens, and not just homicidal maniacs? What you would basically imply is that violence, and the threat of it, is a legitimate and moral conduct of politics. I prefer reason. Maybe I'm insane.

You sure about that?

That government soldier or police officer who is trying to enforce the will of the oppressor will think twice if they try to oppress you. You'd think we're just over half a century out of WW2 people would understand the need for a populace to resist a totalitarian government. Oh I bet you think it can't happen again. Typical.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 12:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roveredo View Post
    Won't stop a tank, but it will stop that soldier from hurting your family if need be. I know most liberals would cower and even turn their families over to save themselves, but it shouldn't be hard to understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    You unfortunately have a very poor and unintelligent understanding of conservatism.
    Explain or go away. Socially conservatives don't want to move forward, how am I wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Well I think the thing is, with the United States we have such a large military that soldiers have way more in common and way more loyalty with "the common folk," than the powerful government figures. I think I read 6% of all Americans have served or currently serve in the armed forces. If you're an American, you're more than likely related to or are close friends with multiple soldiers.
    Very true. If me and my now wife hadn't of gave this world a little surprise at a young age, I would of went into the navy. But couldn't stand the idea of being away for so long from my family. A sacrifice I couldn't make.

Not sure how it is most countries, but we're an all volunteer force. I know some countries like Israel, there's conscription..while others it's either military or civil service. In our short history, we were born from war, survived through war via our Civil War, and helped keep the planet overall free from tyrants (WW2). So a lot of respect is given to our military and our military gives it right back. One grandfather of mine was in WW1, the other Korea. My dad was in Vietnam, a cousin in Iraqi Freedom. Also, a couple who served in peacetime. It's a regret I'll carry that I never joined, but again couldn't make that sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    That government soldier or police officer who is trying to enforce the will of the oppressor will think twice if they try to oppress you. You'd think we're just over half a century out of WW2 people would understand the need for a populace to resist a totalitarian government. Oh I bet you think it can't happen again. Typical.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 12:32 AM ----------

Won't stop a tank, but it will stop that soldier from hurting your family if need be. I know most liberals would cower and even turn their families over to save themselves, but it shouldn't be hard to understand.
    Mr. Dd614, im not even american but your opinions disgust me.

The terms left and right in politics originate from the National Assembly during the French Revolution; those who favored the revolution sat on to the left of the presiding officer, and those who favored the establishment (king and nobility) sat on the right. The association of modern conservatism with right-wing politics extends to the same period, with a split forming among European conservatives, in the 19th century, between those who favored industrial capitalism as a means of preserving the status quo vs. those who favored a rigid aristocracy. The aristocrats lost.

Conservatism isn't about sustaining any status quo, even those that are established by left-wing factions. It is the sustenance of a particular status quo in the face of constant revolutionary pressure, based upon an appeal to tradition as the ultimate expression of human wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    "To understand the workings of American politics, you have to understand this fundamental law: Conservatives think liberals are stupid. Liberals think conservatives are evil."
    --Charles Krauthammer

Pretty spot on. In every debate with a liberal I have ever had, this has proven true.
    I think conservatives are both evil and stupid, so there is an exception.