Need help for my new pc

Hello everybody!

My computer is getting old and I plan to change it. Im very good in computer hardware, but I think it's the right computer for me.

Here is my config that I plan to buy, but I want to see if this will satisfy my needs

OS PowerSupply CPU Heatsink Motherboard Ram GPU Case Hard drive
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack (Im not sure its the good OS that I need to buy, tell me If im wrong) XFX ATX 550 Power Supply - P1550SXXB9 Intel Core i3-3220 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 Ghz Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA1155 AMD CrossFireX W/HDMI,DVI Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77-D3H 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz MSI R7850 Twin Frozr OC GAMMA Classic Series ATX Mid Tower Interior Steel Chassis (Black) Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB (I might do down to 500Gb, I don't need 1000)
    What I need:

I want a budget gaming computer, Im currently playing a lot of Dota 2, WoW and Planetside 2. I would like to play with the graphics at high (probably not in planetside 2, but I expect no lag)
    I might play Gw2 and I wish to be able to play any upcoming game.
    I will be working on it too (Im making websites, but this will not be a problem with this computer)
    I'll do a lot of programming too, but lightweight programs.
    My main concern is about the CPU, will it be enough?? Else I looked at all the others products, and all seem good for me, but as I said, Im not very good in computer hardware.
    I can get this computer for 822 US

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 02:56 PM ----------

Im not nativly english, and write this text was a bit a challenge for me. If something is unclear, please tell me, and I'll reformulate my sentences.
    Here is my current setup, in case it would be usefull
    (Laptop)
    4 Go ram (unknown manufacturer)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9000 2.00GHz

Deleted
    I'd recommend an i5-2500k or i5-3570k. They will enable you to overclock. If you don't want to, you won't need an aftermarket cooler.

Everything else seems fine, the PSU will also run a setup with a 2500k / 3570k fine, in case you want to switch.

The i5 cpus are a bit too expensives for me, will the i3 still enough? What kind of programs are using the cpu a lot? And In the futur, if I see that the i3 is not enough, will I be able to change it? Or I'll need to rebuy all (that's the major point of making my own computer)
    Is the Cpu affects the game?

On internet browsing my cpu is running at 5% of his capacity, but while gaming I don't know, but I don't think it ever was a problem
    I'll play a dota game tonight and I'll check the usage while playing, I'll also do a bit of PlanetSide2, this is currently the only game that I have lags.
    (Im playing in low graphics in all my games yet, but It is more the GPU job right?)
    Last edited by Punisher; 2012-12-08 at 08:44 PM.

Deleted
    CPU affects the games a lot, but the 3220 is not bad per se for gaming. You will be able to change the 3220 later if you wish, but you don't need to buy the hyper 212 evo if you don't plan to buy a 2500k or 3570k for overclocking (which means you can keep your setup for longer, because you can "use" more of your CPU.)

As for GPU, this is where most games are limited, but the 7850 will do fine in most games, at about high detail levels.

That's what Im looking for, but If the Cpu is not enough powerfull I would be in crap

For example, if I play Bf3, does the Cpu (with the config that I plan to buy) will be adequate?

I also saw this one: Intel Core i5-3470 Quad-Core Processor 3.2 GHz, who is less expansive
    Would it be a good choice between the 3220 and the 3570k?

Deleted
    i5-3470 is a decent CPU, but I'd still pick the 3570k for overclockability, unless you remove the aftermarket cooler.

I'll think about the 3570k, but yet I don't have the money

I still have this question:
    Quote Originally Posted by PunisherQc View Post

For example, if I play Bf3, does the Cpu (with the config that I plan to buy (the 3220)) will be adequate?

The i5 cpus are a bit too expensives for me, will the i3 still enough? What kind of programs are using the cpu a lot? And In the futur, if I see that the i3 is not enough, will I be able to change it? Or I'll need to rebuy all (that's the major point of making my own computer)
    Is the Cpu affects the game?
    If i5s are too expensive, then you pretty much have no choice but to go i3. Programs that use the CPU a lot include video rendering and World of Warcraft. Unfortunately, the difference between i5 and i3 in WoW is primarily dependent on overclocking and not number of cores. Yes you'd be able to switch into a socket 1155 i5 with your motherboard. Its probably going to be cost prohibitive though. Moreover, WoW is one of the few games that relies heavily on CPU and currently the i3-3220 is decent. For most current games, the i3-3220 is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    CPU affects the games a lot, but the 3220 is not bad per se for gaming.
    Only in a few games like WoW and Skyrim does an i5 perform better than an i3.

I'd drop from your Z77 mobo to a H77 mobo to save ~$30

For example, if I play Bf3, does the Cpu (with the config that I plan to buy) will be adequate?
    Yes. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,3063-13.html See how the i3-2105 has the same performance as an i7-2600K?

You add an interesting point, I don't knew that the CPU performance where so differents between differents games. I think I'll go for the i3-3220, and if I see that I have problems I'll switch for another cpu when I'll have the money, but I think it will be ok.

The major problems in my game is the FPS rate, (GPU), my cpu is enough (I used to think that it was, but now I am not sure...)

I asked the BF3 question to compare with PlanetSide2, kind of the same conditions

In WoW, I have no lag problems, in pvp/instance, but my graphics are at medium (with some personalized settings at low)
    The only lag that I have is in 25man raid. In fights I get major lags but I always blamed my GPU for the visuals effects...
    If I can 25man without problems with the i3-3220, it would be awesome, but I would like to be able to pull my graphics to high/ultra
    Funny thing too, When I do boss fights, and I look at the ground I don't lag (FPS at +- 35, my normal point)
    Maybe it shows that the problem is the GPU? (Yes, sometime(s) I look at the ground in boss fights =D )

In Dota2 all is fine, but I have medium/low graphicals settings but I never lag

In PlanetSide2, this is where my computer fails: I can play, but in fights I lag, my computer is all screwed up when I close the game (slow as hell)
    Logging in the game is a hard time too: It takes time before I can start moving but I can play after few sec.( More like 1 min lol )

Extra question: Why does WoW need more CPU? Is it for all the Hp/Mana/Stats that need to be calculated??

Here is my current CPU info: (CPU-Z report)

Number of cores 4 (max 4)
    Number of threads 4 (max 4)
    Name Intel Mobile Core 2 Quad Q9000
    Codename Penryn
    Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9000 2.00GHz
    Package (platform ID) Socket P (478) (0x5)
    CPUID 6.7.A
    Extended CPUID 6.17
    Core Stepping R0
    Technology 45 nm
    Core Speed 2259.6 MHz
    Multiplier x FSB 8.5 x 265.8 MHz
    Rated Bus speed 1063.4 MHz
    Stock frequency 2000 MHz
    Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T, VT-x
    L1 Data cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L2 cache 2 x 3072 KBytes, 12-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    FID/VID Control yes
    FID range 6.0x - 8.5x
    Max VID 1.275 V
    Last edited by Punisher; 2012-12-09 at 04:06 AM.

Deleted
    WoW utilizes the CPU better than the GPU, because it's an old game, and that's the way the game is coded. Newer games like BF3 are coded to rely more on the GPU.

the 7850 is similar to my 560 ti, and I can run BF3 on ultra at about 40-50 fps, with no Anti Aliasing for lack of video ram. I'm not sure how much the cpu differs in a game like BF3, but I can't imagine it'd be much. I'm using a 2500k at 4.8 GHz.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    WoW utilizes the CPU better than the GPU, because it's an old game, and that's the way the game is coded. Newer games like BF3 are coded to rely more on the GPU.

the 7850 is similar to my 560 ti, and I can run BF3 on ultra at about 40-50 fps, with no Anti Aliasing for lack of video ram. I'm not sure how much the cpu differs in a game like BF3, but I can't imagine it'd be much. I'm using a 2500k at 4.8 GHz.
    First off, WoW's graphics engine gets updated every expansion. Second, newly coded games like Skyrim are still CPU dependent. Check out the big performance jump from 3 to 4 ghz:

WoW's CPU dependence might be due to one of two things:
    1) WoW tuned for casual users. Casual users tend to have systems that are CPU heavy so Blizzard allocates more load onto the CPU.

2) *conjecture, might be wrong* Think of a FPS like BF3. How many different types of character models guys are there? How many maps are there? "Not many" is the answer to both. For a GPU to render, the CPU would have to tell the GPU what polygons are visible and which polygons are in front of which. With a game like BF3, its possible to optimize these things. If you're in this room then only these polygons in the room matter. From that angle, only these polygons on this char model will be visible. Since FPS are limited in map size and character models, they might be optimized by computing a polygon display table from which the GPU can work. In contrast, a game like WoW has too many character models and too many maps such that its not possible to perform these types of optimizations without severely increasing the installation size.

I Found this on a MMO-Champ page

Originally Posted by Crowe
    So in summery, if you want to improve WoWs performance, check the following:
    1. Is my CPU younger than 3 years? If yes, go to step 2.
    2. Do I have 4GB of RAM? If yes, go to step 3, if no.....dude, RAM is dead cheap, go get some.
    3. Upgrade your GPU.
    If you want to improve performance in 25-man raids, swap 1 and 3 from that list.
    If you're only interested in arena/questing and no PvE or PvP raids then the above is correct.
    Since my only problem is the 25-Man (Or 40man perfomance), my GPU is the main thing to upgrade, but still want to be sure if this CPU (3220) will be enough powerfull to satisfy my needs, and comparing to my current one, does the 3220 is not enough better to worth the change?

-Edit

After test in Dota2 my CPU runned at 50-60% of is capacity in the whole game
    Last edited by Punisher; 2012-12-09 at 03:01 PM.

After test in Dota2 my CPU runned at 50-60% of is capacity in the whole game
    Windows CPU meter isn't the correct way of evaluating CPU usage. If you're on an i7 with 8 logical cores and only 2 of them are at 100% utilization, Windows CPU meter will show 25% CPU usage. Yet, if you open up Task Manager and see that 2 logical cores are being fully consumed by your game, you'd be correct to assume that you're CPU bottlenecked.

Deleted
    the 3220 will do fine, it's an ivy bridge dual core with hyper threading, so it has 4 cores (2 virtual cores). I still believe you shouldn't buy the hyper 212 if you're not overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Windows CPU meter isn't the correct way of evaluating CPU usage. If you're on an i7 with 8 logical cores and only 2 of them are at 100% utilization, Windows CPU meter will show 25% CPU usage. Yet, if you open up Task Manager and see that 2 logical cores are being fully consumed by your game, you'd be correct to assume that you're CPU bottlenecked.
    I actually have a 4 core (physical) ^_^

To Diesta

Yeah, if I buy a i3-3220 I won't take the cooler but I'll probably sell my current laptop to a friend, so I'll be able to get the i5, but I'll wait. If you say that the i3 is enough powerfull, I'll stay with the I3

And I probably won't overclock with the I5, as I said I am not very good in hardware and I don't want to take useless risk

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 03:40 PM ----------

Finally I sold my current computer, so I'll be able to afford the I5 =)

Before buying the pieces, is the graphic card will fit in the tower? I read that the tower can support 10.5 inch graphic card but the twin frozr seems bigger than this
    And is the windows 7 version is the good one?
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
    Last edited by Punisher; 2012-12-09 at 08:41 PM.

Deleted
    The MSI is about 9 inches long, no issue there. You also have the right Windows version for your use.

That's it! I bought all the pieces, except the Case and the Hard drive, for delivery reasons. I'll grab one at local stores.

Thx to both of you, you really guided my through this process.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    First off, WoW's graphics engine gets updated every expansion. Second, newly coded games like Skyrim are still CPU dependent. Check out the big performance jump from 3 to 4 ghz:

WoW's CPU dependence might be due to one of two things:
    1) WoW tuned for casual users. Casual users tend to have systems that are CPU heavy so Blizzard allocates more load onto the CPU.

2) *conjecture, might be wrong* Think of a FPS like BF3. How many different types of character models guys are there? How many maps are there? "Not many" is the answer to both. For a GPU to render, the CPU would have to tell the GPU what polygons are visible and which polygons are in front of which. With a game like BF3, its possible to optimize these things. If you're in this room then only these polygons in the room matter. From that angle, only these polygons on this char model will be visible. Since FPS are limited in map size and character models, they might be optimized by computing a polygon display table from which the GPU can work. In contrast, a game like WoW has too many character models and too many maps such that its not possible to perform these types of optimizations without severely increasing the installation size.
    CPU's don't give you fps you know.. They instruct the gpu and you get fps from the gpu.. A 2600k alone without a gpu, would only give you like 6fps (3dmark06)

Once the gpu is filled to 99%, you don't have to worry about a cpu though.

Hi!
    I have questions about the "making" of the pc. I didn't have all my pieces yet, but I got my case, my SSD ( I finally took one) and my CD/DVD

Is the motherboard coming with all the cables I need to plug my SSD and my CD/DVD driver in the Mobo?

Also, my CD/DVD drive is kind of... old.
    The connector behind it looks like 2 row of 23 pins (on one of the row, there is only 22 if I counted right)
    I have the cable to plug it, it looks like a big cable with a red wire on it, but I don't see where I will plug it in my motherboard...
    Last edited by Punisher; 2012-12-17 at 10:15 PM.