Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Why Cathar as the first new race?

I don't get why bioware decieded to make them the first new race/species.

I remember seeing more threads and people wanting to see Nautolans, Togruta and a few other races than i did see asking for Cathar.

Don't get me wrong i'm happy to see more new species added and Cathar are a cool species and there is probably a good amount of people looking forward to them, they just didn't seem the most popular.

Edit: Just read that they went with Cathar as they where the easiest todo, makes me wonder with the amount of time it has taken them to make Cathar playable if we will see another new species before next xmass.
    Last edited by mmocfa4baae9c7; 2012-12-08 at 08:04 PM.

It's because they are easy and already very humanlike. Bioware is lazy and wants the easy way out.

Unlike what would be needed for Togruta and other such races there is no wondering what they will have to do with lekku and such. It was probably too much for them to already have to work around twilek stuff.

Cathar can easily fit into any helm and there are already models in the game for all body types (cept the fat male I think).

They'll tinker with what they already basically have for months then make a big show of it when they finally release it like it was a huge undergoing and we should all praise god bioware.

I like the cathar race and thought they would add them sooner but they definitely choose them because they are an easy humanoid race.

As soon as I hit Voss, I wanted the Voss and the Gormaks?? to be playable, the eyes of the Voss are cool as hell.

Which is why I rolled a Chiss... fully red eyes without any dark side corruption.

Anyhow I'm not sure why Cathar... instead of adding 1 they could add 2 or 3 and call it a "species patch" including some less human like than what we've seen so far including Togruta etc. . Star Wars contains so many species.... so much story... there is a lot to be done/ provided to become something more.

Deleted
    I wonder if showing darkside corruption is something that will take them time.

I would imagine that making the races that we have companions of will be easier as they already have the ability to equip them in different armour sets and attack animations.

If you had the choice...

a) you can play any alien race you want but won't be able to "see" all the armor on your character (for a Jawa character for example)

b) you can play a restricted amount of races which are all able to display any armor put onto them

Which one would you take?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    If you had the choice...

a) you can play any alien race you want but won't be able to "see" all the armor on your character (for a Jawa character for example)

b) you can play a restricted amount of races which are all able to display any armor put onto them

B. - I like the customization available with armor, and the companions that don't show armor annoy me (Blizz, Khem Val, etc.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Aric is in the game, the trooper armour fits his body already, it's less work for them to put in.

The Voss are a non-starter. True they look cool as hell, and the eyes are awesome, but a Voss is more than appearance. Their voice has a sort of filter on it that may be possible in the game, but the way they structure their sentences is totally different to all the existing voice acting in the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    Because Aric is in the game, the trooper armour fits his body already, it's less work for them to put in.

The Voss are a non-starter. True they look cool as hell, and the eyes are awesome, but a Voss is more than appearance. Their voice has a sort of filter on it that may be possible in the game, but the way they structure their sentences is totally different to all the existing voice acting in the game.
    What about Ashara, Xalek and Sargent Rusk.

All 3 can have different armour sets and helmet clipping is still an issue with Twilek.

Voss would be awesome, I would like to see more species that are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    What about Ashara, Xalek and Sargent Rusk.
    and Gault, Skadge, Aric Jordan, Tanno Vik, Guss Tuno, Yuun, Qyzen Fress, Fideltin Rusk.....

Khem Val, Broonmark, Blizz, Bowdarr scheiden aus da keine Ruestung angezeigt wird....

With the direction Bioware's heading, I think that Zeltrons should be the next playable race. SPACE SLUTS: THE GAME.

Alternatively, they could break character and put the Asari in.

Can Zeltrons please the members of the Jedi Order in such a way as even common Twi'lek to allow them to settle on Tython? .... Yeah... didn't think so.

If you had the choice...

It dosn't have to be one or the other. It's not like if they added wookie all of a sudden no character would show armor, just wookies.

They can even do a Half way like thing like Guss Tuno. You can see his armor just not his helm and gloves.

Showing helmet I'm sure is a nice option for some but I myself make my character to try and be unique. I like to see the face I decided to make not the same helmet 50 other people have standing near me.

Again not perfect but they could give a little disclaimer when you choose that race saying " Choosing this race will not allow you to see your helmet, This cannot be changed later on this character"

There seems to be a lot of things Bioware didn't look ahead on, now they can only use English speaking races. On an unrelated note they of coarse made planets unable to incorperate flying mounts. With the way they are failing they'll never have the cash to do what WoW did and redo all the "old world". I noticed that they backed themselves in that corner on day 1.

Fyi a) is exactly what you are describing... see the ( )... . I don't see how Bioware wouldn't have the funds to "redo" their origin worlds as even SOE had it for EQ2..., however I don't see the need of it.

Fyi a) is exactly what you are describing... see the ( )... . I don't see how Bioware wouldn't have the funds to "redo" their origin worlds as even SOE had it for EQ2..., however I don't see the need of it.
    If that was what you meant a) to be then you weren't clear and why would anyone choose b?

Why not have the choice of any/a plethora of alien race(s)?
    Last edited by Argroth; 2012-12-10 at 06:58 AM.

I don't remember saying that all current alien races with armor display will lose this ability... did I? You make a simple question really too difficult for yourself.

Ya, I think Psychlon was pretty clear with what he was describing. And you did pretty much just repeat what he said with his a). Some people might choose b) because they want their character to look whatever way they want, including headpieces and gloves, etc. It's all just personal preference and everyone likes something different.

I see no need to add flying mounts or redo original zones. Would rather see them overhaul space combat than add flying mounts. And zones are just small sections of big planets. If they feel the need to return to planets, they can just add more zones onto planets, no need to redo zones completely.

I think your disclaimer idea would be a perfectly reasonable incorporation as well if they wanted to include playable races that can't display certain armor pieces. I'd be fine with it. But I don't really think they've backed themselves into a corner with races who can't speak English. If, for example, they added wookies, it would be very doable to just record some more variations of wookie speech, and then just have the player's character speak wookie with subtitles. It may drive the player crazy after a while, but small price to pay, right? Would also make romance options a bit interesting, but there could be another disclaimer during character creation saying that this species cannot romance with companions (unless maybe you were playing a female wookie smuggler and started warming up to Bowdaar).

Deleted
    If they add Wookie they could follow WoW with the 'hero class' idea.

Add Wookie but have them be the only species that has unique companions for both sides, so say instead of Kira you get a female wookie jedi etc.

It would be alot more work but would solve the romance problem.

Just as a side note.

This may change now since Star wars is in Disneys hands now and I dunno if Bioware has to follow the Star Wars "rules" but...

I forget which media but someone made a Wookie Jedi and George Lucas said "no more of that, Wookies can't be Jedis". That one wookiee jedi exists but no more were allowed to be made. So having the option to unlock Wookies as Jedi would go against the Star Wars "rules"

I have no idea why but I'm pretty sure that happened.

Edit: Ok there are like 3 jedi wookiee but George did deny it.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee (look under behind the scenes)

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    Just as a side note.

This may change now since Star wars is in Disneys hands now and I dunno if Bioware has to follow the Star Wars "rules" but...

I forget which media but someone made a Wookie Jedi and George Lucas said "no more of that, Wookies can't be Jedis". That one wookiee jedi exists but no more were allowed to be made. So having the option to unlock Wookies as Jedi would go against the Star Wars "rules"

I have no idea why but I'm pretty sure that happened.

Edit: Ok there are like 3 jedi wookiee but George did deny it.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee (look under behind the scenes)

My understanding of the previous agreement was he wasn't pretending they didn't exist ever, but was more saying he wanted them to be super super rare and as such didn't want to add more (sort of like the Yoda race). If that will change or not depends a lot on what the specifics the contracts say. There could be clauses stipulating restrictions on things like that.