View Poll Results: Which Era Was The Best?

Voters
1372. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic World of Warcraft

102 7.43%
  • The Burning Crusade

441 32.14%
  • Wrath of the Lich King

518 37.76%
  • Cataclysm

32 2.33%
  • Mists of Pandaria

279 20.34%
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    For me, Wrath were the glory days of WoW, but MoP is close, let's see if it can top Wrath, shall we ?

I vote for TBC.

I prefer the "if you can't down the boss, you don't deserve the kill" mentality, instead of making normal and HC and now LFR versions of it. Also in TBC people that raid, push for that best, people that cannot down bosses, keep trying. People that doesn't even raid, happy with what they do.

Nowadays people seems to be too "self entitled"

TBC and Wrath, that's when blizzard really started advertising WoW a lot with their commercials. IIRC, vanilla never had a commercial on TV and the only way I knew about it was from the tech demo video in my WC3 battlechest, and it came with the 10-day trial of WoW as well.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post

Nowadays people seems to be too "self entitled"

god I hate that....

the moment someone dies in a dungeon, or if there is a wipe... people leave.

Same for raids, no one understands that progression is paid by with repair bills anymore. Oh, and everything is "purple" these days, even the kid who never entered a raid and only plats on weekends is decked out and at the proper ilvl. lol

Early Wrath imo. First 8 months of Wrath was great.

I voted TBC, but only because I had to choose one expansion. For me I thoroughly enjoyed the game from when I started in Vanilla until Ulduar. The release of ToGC and toggle hard modes signalled the start of my dissatisfaction with the game. Sadly it took until a few months of DS for me to realize that the game I enjoyed was never coming back and finally quit.

I'm not surprised to see more WotLK votes than TBC votes, and I'm not surprised they rank 1&2 respectively. A lot of the people who really played and enjoyed TBC have been gone from the game long enough now that they'll see less representation and those that experienced true TBC raiding are an even lower percentage. The fact that Wrath was when a lot of more casual players got into raiding, which is WoWs best feature, will help lean the vote that way.

And for everyone claiming nostalgia - wouldn't the fact that there are less fond memories of Wrath and Cata for a large segment of players indicate there was something about the game that they enjoyed at that time that changed? Yes, you tend to remember the good and forget the bad, but I simply don't remember as much good from later expansions. I remember the bad from TBC (karazahn stress as raids went from 40 to 10 and then you had to form a 25 man team, specs being useless for various classes, certain OP pvp things (glaive and 4pc T6, hemo maces, warrior mace stun, 3 heal 2 war 5 man comps), shaman stacking in Sunwell, etc), but the good outweighed it. Wrath has more of my favorite boss fights, but less overall raid enjoyment. Basically, I had the most fun in TBC, thus I remember it as the best era I played. It's a strictly subjective opinion, so trying to dismiss it because it's not the same as yours is innately flawed.

Wath pre-ToC

There were so many things shelved during this expansion because of the LFD tool being developed such as Balargarde Fortress raid (had it's own chat channels at one point in time) and Zul'Drak raid. The tournament was even altered due to a miscalculation of how hard Dalaran was on the servers. My speculation is that T9 was supposed to be more like T11 and T4/5 with 3 raids 5-6 bosses each , but developing new tech took precedent.

The bright spots were Ulduar, and ICC (pre-nerfs) These raids display the last of the large complexes that we have invaded to take down a big baddie. I personally dislike the several small raids that they are going with. Much harder to lose yourself in the environment imo. Firelands doesn't count either. It was 8 bosses , and it didn't feel like a complex. It felt more like a field with different boss compartments. Maybe that's what they were going for though?

In terms of game play, things to do, and rpg aspects though I feel the Wrath expansion hit it on the head. Ignoring 3.2 (ToC), the raids weren't super easy, reps were optional, and the rate of gear acquisition felt spot on. The zone music and stories are still heralded in machinima. Though I never played Warcraft RTS games, I felt that the Lich King was a great villain. He was very in-your-face, mocking your every step, and pissing you off in general.

Edit: I should add that Mists seems to be a step back to Wrath. I just hope that Blizzard doesn't give up and nerf things to the ground because of people screaming about things being too "hard".
    Last edited by Rizendragon; 2012-12-09 at 09:23 PM.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    The dishonest are want to identify dishonesty, even where it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    There's no such thing as rose-tinted-glasses (goggles, binoculars or contact lenses). Neither is there any proof that mentality exists.
    Rose tinted glasses were used on chickens so that they wouldn't kill each other. They effectively made the world seem to be a better place than it was as they masked blood and thus bypassed certain instinctive responses. Literally, there were rose tinted glasses.

There are also studies that show that people tend to forget minor inconveniences as time goes on, but hold on to good memories.

Whether or not that mentality matters is more important than whether it exists. Basically, nostalgia simply means you remember more of the good than the bad from a period of time so your overall opinion of the time may be more positive than the actuallity deserves. However, nostalgia should apply equally over time to many periods of time. The lack of nostalgia for certain periods of time is far more condemning of those periods than it's existence for others. Nostalgia is a good thing, if you don't remember a time nostalgically, that probably means that time had less good than bad, or at least less memorable good than bad. And if something isn't memorable, then it's far less important than that which is.

Herald of the Titans
    mostly a tie between BC and Wrath. wrath had a much more interesting story and questing experience to me personally, but BC had a much better togetherness feel with my friends.

stopped playing mid way thru cata as did almost all of my friends so i cant comment on pandaria

For me it is Classic. The game was new and the content was huge. Tenths of zones to explore and quest in. Very little hand-holding. Things to actually discover and not lead to. Racial campaigns, content that was not almost all about raiding,, class quests, lots of things to do and not just grind stuff. It was the best time for me. Raiding is nice, but nowhere near as satisfying as just playing out in the world. And that is what Classic did the best.

Have to vote vanilla. Not because I thought it was the best expansion. But it was my first mmo, and nothing will ever beat the feeling I had during the first part of vanilla! Nostalgia ftw.
    Main: Frozenfrog, Ret paladin
    Alt: Steamfrog, Shadowpriest

Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    Rose tinted glasses were used on chickens so that they wouldn't kill each other. They effectively made the world seem to be a better place than it was as they masked blood and thus bypassed certain instinctive responses. Literally, there were rose tinted glasses.

There are also studies that show that people tend to forget minor inconveniences as time goes on, but hold on to good memories.

Whether or not that mentality matters is more important than whether it exists. Basically, nostalgia simply means you remember more of the good than the bad from a period of time so your overall opinion of the time may be more positive than the actuallity deserves. However, nostalgia should apply equally over time to many periods of time. The lack of nostalgia for certain periods of time is far more condemning of those periods than it's existence for others. Nostalgia is a good thing, if you don't remember a time nostalgically, that probably means that time had less good than bad, or at least less memorable good than bad. And if something isn't memorable, then it's far less important than that which is.
    The truth is Blizzard Entertainment backs every argument about the past with this mentality that peoples view of their past experiences isn't the same as reality. Blizzard uses this phrase as an excuse to produce worse content and still please it's mindless fan base into believing that the past was worse than they remembered it.

Herald of the Titans
    Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    The truth is Blizzard Entertainment backs every argument about the past with this mentality that peoples view of their past experiences isn't the same as reality. Blizzard uses this phrase as an excuse to produce worse content and still please it's mindless fan base into believing that the past was worse than they remembered it.
    im not going to jump into a consipracy theory rant or anything but this sort of makes sense. just about any post i read on the official forums from someone saying they enjoyed this xpac over that xpac is usually met by a blue saying they simply have rose tinted glasses on.

That's why they bring witnesses in on court cases: because anyone worth their salt in law knows that both sides involved in the altercation are going to be biased for their own personal gain. As a personal example: I loved BC. It's when I started, it's when the game mystified me and I had a lot of good times in BC. The lore was unbelievably good, and the content was incredibly variant. I didn't vote for BC because I do my best to lean one way or another, and I distinctly remember the absolute beast of trying to cull enough people together to get a steady, decent twenty-five man group together because of the content gating, the absurd length of the attunements, having to switch my main because being a class with reliable CC was paramount to everything else and the utter broken state of PvP.

The reality was that BC was decent, and I had an overall decent time with it. Did some people love it way more than me? Duh, and obviously others hated it. We don't have to agree on how it 'felt', but we should at least come to some kind of consensus that there was bad stuff and good stuff, and work on hashing out which side won out over the other. As for the actual 'worseness' of the game, each expansion is mechanically, graphically and auditorily better than the previous one, which means by default each new expansion is 'better' than the old one; parts of the player-base might not agree on the direction or style that Blizzard went for, but it's illogical to think Blizzard wouldn't update the game at every major expansion.

This is a change in the industry as a whole though, not something exclusive to Blizzard.
    It's actually nothing to do with gaming at all; the industry is reacting to the societal changes which are forcing ease on everything that can be eased up, which lowers collective skill/intelligence on average. If Blizzard didn't follow the trend, they'd lose a bulk of their revenue. You can't make a niche game styled like the games back in the 80s with relentless (but fair) difficulty like Super Meat Boy when modern games like CoD and Battlefield have setting for 'auto aim' (because in war, guns aim themselves). I could go into a dissertation about this, but I'll spare everyone the boredom.

Suffice it to say, it's not going to change until the populace starts to buck up and bring a little Darwinian evolution theory back. I'm not saying we should start casting off potential morons in droves, but there has to be a definitive limit where someone sucking won't be tolerated, which forces the person in question to grow or wither away. Sure it's a cold viewpoint, but it does society and, by extension gaming, no good to keep handing out trophies/achievements for things that are essentially participation.

I love Wrath of the Lich King. The zones were awesome, I loved going back to Naxx, Ulduar was amazing and so was ICC. DKs are cool, not my main class or even really one of my main alts but their skills are enjoyable. Just an overall good expansion.

Voted MoP, because it's objectively the only correct answer.

i'm surprised that wotlk is leading this thing. Always felt that the totc/icecrown period which lasted a year and a half was an absolutely dreadful time for the game.

Classic/Vanilla By far!

Quote Originally Posted by wildemu View Post
    i'm surprised that wotlk is leading this thing. Always felt that the totc/icecrown period which lasted a year and a half was an absolutely dreadful time for the game.
    The only part of Wrath that was bad was the 3.2 patch cycle imo. People only remember ICC at the 35% buff, but up to the 10-15% buff range the raid was still decently challenging for the average raider. If you take 3.2 and add the 2 shelved raids (Balargarde Fortress raid, Zul'Drak raid) then you've got a great patch, but they didn't add them in causing that patch cycle to be terrible.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    The dishonest are want to identify dishonesty, even where it doesn't exist.

Wrath of the lich king! Hands down!

Quote Originally Posted by errosync View Post
    It's actually nothing to do with gaming at all; the industry is reacting to the societal changes which are forcing ease on everything that can be eased up, which lowers collective skill/intelligence on average. If Blizzard didn't follow the trend, they'd lose a bulk of their revenue. You can't make a niche game styled like the games back in the 80s with relentless (but fair) difficulty like Super Meat Boy when modern games like CoD and Battlefield have setting for 'auto aim' (because in war, guns aim themselves). I could go into a dissertation about this, but I'll spare everyone the boredom.

Suffice it to say, it's not going to change until the populace starts to buck up and bring a little Darwinian evolution theory back. I'm not saying we should start casting off potential morons in droves, but there has to be a definitive limit where someone sucking won't be tolerated, which forces the person in question to grow or wither away. Sure it's a cold viewpoint, but it does society and, by extension gaming, no good to keep handing out trophies/achievements for things that are essentially participation.
    I call BS ... why are MOBA games so popular these days ? If you suck at them you get trash talked by your own team into oblivion. All it takes is 1-2 mistakes in line that snowballs enemy player. Also I get the feeling that the new generation of players when they hear you have to grind this and this to get to raid in this game they will laugh at you ... grinding is very much what MMOs were about in the past and it's not what will carry them into the future.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.