Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Unless I'm mistaken (trying it later), Forge is just an arena game with matchmaking and no persistant world, which means it isn't even close to an MMO. It has nothing to do with this discussion, although not due to the lack of PvE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't?
    I just said there was no PvE.
    PvE is one of the most bland and boring experiences to balance on an entirely skill based mmo sadly.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    im really addicted to LoL so yea i would probably give it a go. mobas are more skill based in my opinion. that being said there is also a part of me that enjoys the gear treadmill. actually its more of a level treadmill. i enjoy leveling, i enjoy the aspect of fighting things to make my character more powerful. for the most part leveling in an mmo is more fun to me than the actual end game.

dont get me wrong endgame is great and i love to do it when my friends get there, but the journey to get to that end game is what makes it the most enjoyable to me. if i knew i could make a living off leveling characters and selling them i would probably do that lol. call me sad, i know =(

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldryth View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken (trying it later), Forge is just an arena game with matchmaking and no persistant world, which means it isn't even close to an MMO. It has nothing to do with this discussion, although not due to the lack of PvE.
    I didn't really look up it, if it is the case, then it's just another case of abusing the term MMO again.
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    PvE is one of the most bland and boring experiences to balance on an entirely skill based mmo sadly.
    That is your own opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Then it's a total flaw of the game, someone who is totally bad at the game but has more l33t gear will always beat you, that's not even... oh god what has the traditional mmo-rpg model done to people :c
    That is totally not true.

My alt in pretty much full blue gear, when go to join friend's raid group to help out, I come pretty much top and 2nd on meter, whereas they all deck in epics. Bad will always be bad, no matter what gear they have, but it is very hard for those bads to get the gear in the first place (see my friend's raid group, they can only acquire epics from the first 4 boss in MV and not from the bosses after).

People with no skill but good gear > people with no skill and no gear
    People with skill but lesser gear > people with gear but no skill
    People with skill and gear > people with skill but lesser gear

fuck no. it's an RPG, gear is SUPPOSED to matter.

I didn't really look up it, if it is the case, then it's just another case of abusing the term MMO again.
    I've never seen any news sites or devs calling it an MMO, just saying it had somewhat similar gameplay. I think it's just the same people who think LoL and DotA are MMO's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldryth View Post
    I've never seen any news sites or devs calling it an MMO, just saying it had somewhat similar gameplay. I think it's just the same people who think LoL and DotA are MMO's.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/223390/
    It may be the misinterpretation of the text that was given.
    Forge features only the best aspects of MMO and FPS class based combat to provide a multiplayer gameplay experience unlike anything you've played before.
    Taking an aspect of an MMO doesn't make it an MMO, which may be the confusion there.

Then again they put.
    No Subscription Fee and No "Pay to Win"
    Which is generally a service that is part of MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    fuck no. it's an RPG, gear is SUPPOSED to matter.
    Question is how much should the gear matter ... role playing a gear collector is not everyones dream.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223390/
    It may be the misinterpretation of the text that was given.

Taking an aspect of an MMO doesn't make it an MMO, which may be the confusion there.

Then again they put.

Which is generally a service that is part of MMOs.
    Forge™ is an online, class based multiplayer shooter ... the first line of the description.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Question is how much should the gear matter ... role playing a gear collector is not everyones dream.

Forge™ is an online, class based multiplayer shooter ... the first line of the description.
    I didn't say it was an MMO. You may have to convince other people otherwise.
    Reviews

“This brand of PvP is more appealing than anything I've ever seen in MMOs.”
    – GameSpy

I'd play a skill-based MMO provided it had some of the following to compensate for the void of not having gear stat progression:

• Robust character customization and cosmetic gear progression. Players progress by earning/unlocking/crafting gear that looks better. There should be a stark difference in how a skilled player looks vs an unskilled player.
    • No holy trinity (Tank-Heal-DPS).
    • In-game or 3rd party support for performance summary. If it's a skill-based game, then they should make it easy for players to be recognized for performing well.
    • PvP is tuned and balanced for 1v1.
    • It MUST have animation lock to balance risk vs reward. Combat moves have to be decisive and with conviction. Some cancels are fine, but you shouldn't be able to cancel everything. Bonus points for using a suitable game engine that supports great physics and good collision detection.
    • A streamlined handful of skill choices for each class. MMOs with too many skills have a bloated combat system that tries to make up for lackluster combat with variety.
    • Challenges and "break-off" rewards. Adding difficulty or the ability to break off certain parts of a boss should hard to do and rewarding. The break-offs should tie in with crafting cosmetic gear.
    • Not a tab-target combat system; it has to use an action-MMO style combat system. Someone who doesn't play the game should be able to watch a video of someone fighting a boss and understand what's going on. Attacks should have impact AND reaction. You don't get that with WoW, all you see are people stacking on top of one another with particle effects and swing/cast animations running their course.
    Last edited by Samoflange; 2012-12-09 at 10:10 PM.

Hmm, it would all depend on the story of the game and whether the game was fun or not. I am, what some would call. a casual. I play not to prove how amazing I am at gaming (I'm not!) or show off things that other players rarely have, but simply because I enjoy playing the game. That's not to say I wont play a skill-based game, but as long as it was fun and perhaps not punishing for the wrong reasons (i.e. there should be a good learning curve, a pet peeve of mine is game which throw you in and expect you to work out everything from the go) Community would also be something I look at closely with a game such as that, as I wouldn't want to play a game which was run by elitist who never gave newbies a chance (Gross generalization, I know, but still!) A good story and in-game lore is a must (personally it is the most important thing I look for in a game) and not just for enjoyment value, but it is a way to encourage players who may not usually do play such skill-based games to give it a try.
    Last edited by Summerwine; 2012-12-09 at 10:17 PM.

Off Topic: OP just watched Sword Art Online.

On Topic: Hell yeah I would play a completely skill based MMO. It's more fun when you realize you actually just beat someone because you had more skill and not because of some stupid class gimmick or whatever.