Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What does it mean to be a clicker?

What defines a clicker? I mean, we all click something, and I've always been unclear on what it meant.

I usually move with WASD, though AD are still set to turn, I hold right mouse and make it strafe all the time. I rarely use the two mouse buttons together to move forward.

Q is almost always my interrupt, 1-5 are my most common combat rotation abilities. E R T are used for AoE attacks usually. F G are usually situational.

Most cooldowns I click, along with pots and pretty much any other ability. I probably should get into the habit of binding Z X C to something useful but I haven't.

Am I a clicker because I click some things? What does it even mean? How, exactly, does a clicker play (I understand they do all the same things, but usually slower?)

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unclear? Not hard like a clicker is an all out clicker like you literally click every single button that you have upon your UI; There's 3 terms here

- Clicker
    - Keybinder
    - Hybrid / Both

In this case right here you have binds so thus you are the 3ird option right here.

Someone who clicks for their primary rotation/more than they keybind (not counting naga, ofc)

Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Unclear? Not hard like a clicker is an all out clicker like you literally click every single button that you have upon your UI; There's 3 terms here

- Clicker
    - Keybinder
    - Hybrid / Both
    How does a clicker move? How do they turn? Do they literally not use the keyboard for anything except typing?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    How does a clicker move? How do they turn? Do they literally not use the keyboard for anything except typing?

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Clickers generally still use the keyboard to move. When I was a clicker I used WASD and a combination of keyboard turning and mouse turning. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good.

It never even occurred to me to click my spells with the mouse when I started playing, so I was confused about the term "clicker" for a long time. I would define a clicker as someone who clicks the spell icons on their hotbar for their primary ability rotation. I assume most of them use the keyboard to turn, but that's usually discussed as a separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffter View Post
    It never even occurred to me to click my spells with the mouse when I started playing, so I was confused about the term "clicker" for a long time. I would define a clicker as someone who clicks the spell icons on their hotbar for their primary ability rotation. I assume most of them use the keyboard to turn, but that's usually discussed as a separate issue.
    Same here. I saw 1-2-3-4 and ability slots and it just seemed like I should be pushing those. I used numbers for weapon swapping in FPS games, so it was always intuitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    it means you make use of less gcds in combat.

i was a clicker until just before i hit level cap on my first toon. when i knew i should start learning to use keys. i started with Q and E while moving with WASD. now on my mage i have more than 40 binds to use in combat.

oh and trust me. don't try to make macros to combine too many spells in one so you don't have to bind them elsewhere.
    Last edited by Racthoh; 2012-12-09 at 07:12 AM.

I wouldn't consider myself a clicker, by -apathy-'s definition I'm a hybrid, but I don't keybind anything beyond shift+1-4 and that's it. Period. I use my Q and E for strafing, I'll forget where keybinds are and ultimately I don't think it effects me all that much for the classes I play. My cursor is used to manually click things I only occasionally need. (like long-term CC or drop-and-forget CC)

The only things I really need to keybind that I haven't are things like Touch of Karma which is used immediately when needed but otherwise left alone far past its CD.
    Last edited by TheWindWalker; 2012-12-09 at 07:30 AM. Reason: grammar
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a bit of both. I click major cooldowns since they aren't used often and keybind everything else. Clickers literally click everything, and usually "keyboard turners" follows that kind of style. They move with the keyboard, like I'm sure most people do regardless.

Offtopic: What's with the recent upsurge of clicker/keybind threads recently? o__O

Clicker and keyboard turner usually go together. They aren't exactly a wrong way of playing, but it is definitely is slower. If you do anything competitive(raiding/arenas) you save fractions of a second each time you move with your mouse or use a key for your abilities. Doesn't sound like much but that's all the time it takes to die because you didn't move out of something or hit a CD fast enough.

Deleted
    Definition of a Clicker:
    A person whom repeatedly manually select a disred ability with the mousecursor and click on the ability. Instead of keybinding the ability to a keyboard/mouse button.
    I'd say anyone who use their mousecursor to select ANY combat abilities are a clicker.

Definition of Keyboardturner:
    Anyone who use their keyboard (A and D by default) to change their direction. Instead of rotating their toon with the mouse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I click and do a damn good job at it!

Deleted
    It means we Don’t give a shit about being the best.
    Some of us can have fun coming last with style.
    Rotation is when I spin around in my chair.

when you see people entering a building as if they are parking a car*
    N

When i started in back at the very end of vanilla, and my friend who was a top raider and a skilled pvp player would sit next to me, and hit me with a newspaper when i cliked anything on my bars, it helped though, now i only use the mouse to move and click on questgivers.
    On my 5 action bars or so, + some, there is not 1 thing that is not bound to a key, using all kinds if imaginable keys with Shift modifiers and Alt modifiers on all of them, including the 12 buttons on my razer naga with modifiers :P

But more of a answer to the read: To me, being a clicker means that you are slow, and most likely not very good at pvp

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone I can use backstab on the whole fight
    Aye mate

When I started playing I literally clicked everything besides my mount. I was 11 back then (early-mid TBC), but I started keybinding really late TBC and started adding more keybinds in late Wrath ( outside of 1 to = )