Thread: Add-on Advice

Deleted

Add-on Advice

I'm going to rebuild my UI and hoped I could get some advice which add-ons are the most common.

I never considered it before, but lately my friends kept being utterly suprised when I told them that I have installed over 120 add-ons and an ingame usage around 100MB. So I started to sort out some add-ons.
    But after a little time I realised that it was just to much for this project. So I want to build it up from nothing to get a clean sorted and configured UI.

I took a little look at full-feldged UI like TukUI, ElvUI and LUIv3 but every single one had something that annoyed me.
    It seems I will stick to kgpanels for some backround and borders.

I play every single class but not a single healer.

Some basic add-ons that I will probably keep: Recount, Bartender, Deadly Boss Mods,Sexy Map

I hope some of you have suggestions for me.

PS: Sry for any bad english you may find.

10+ Year Old Account
    TellMeWhen for tracking ... everything you could possibly want to track, Omen Threat Meter, Gnosis for cast bars (I use it for my lock and shadow priest spell ticks), BigWigs instead of DBM (I find the timers more accurate, and I like being able to modify the announcing for certain raid warnings), MoveAnything if you don't want a full-fledged, more 'premade' UI addon (you really can move anything). Have fun getting your setup just right.

Deleted
    I don't really see the problem with having that many addons - there's nothing inherently bad about it, and if your machine can handle it, then why not?

I'd suggest merely cleaning up your current UI instead of starting from scratch - if you post screenshots of your UI in various situations (raid, idle, etc.) we could help you figure out what's redundant.

Deleted
    i prefer more addons loose that elvui or tukui make one yourself much more fun and you know how it works prefixed blabla is not my kind of thing start with bartender and pitbull for healers vuhdo and go

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliani View Post
    TellMeWhen for tracking ... everything you could possibly want to track, Omen Threat Meter, Gnosis for cast bars (I use it for my lock and shadow priest spell ticks), BigWigs instead of DBM (I find the timers more accurate, and I like being able to modify the announcing for certain raid warnings), MoveAnything if you don't want a full-fledged, more 'premade' UI addon (you really can move anything). Have fun getting your setup just right.
    Why do so many people still use Omen or any sort of threat meter? It's not like pulling threat is of any real issue anymore with vengeance and 500% threat modifiers.
    Anyways Some i'd recommend are Raven for player buffs/debuffs, target buffs/debuffs and perhaps Masque if you want to skin buff/debuff and actionbar icons.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think before anyone can recommend any addons, other than something like bartender, you need to tell us if it is for a healer, a caster, a melee, or a tank.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Deleted
    Thanks 4 the replies so far.

@Kaliani: didn't like that the Castbars are always visible with Gnosis. BigWigs seemed so complicated in the config when I tried it out in WotLK so I prefered DBM but I'll take a look at it again.

@Treeston: Most of the time my machine can handle it but in 25 man raids I drop sometimes under 30 fps and thats not to pretty because it delays my reaction time. For scrrenshots: I'll try to provide you with some that show as much aus possible.

@bOOURNS: Never heard of Raven. Will take a look at it.

@Flatspriest: Like I stated I play every class but not a single healer so it would be for tank (mainly), mellee-dd and range-dd.

Edit:
    Idle on my rogue
    LFR Group
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2012-12-07 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Adding screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by bOOURNS View Post
    Why do so many people still use Omen or any sort of threat meter? It's not like pulling threat is of any real issue anymore with vengeance and 500% threat modifiers.
    I would agree from a DPS/Healer standpoint, but as a tank it can often be important to know when another tank is about to steal threat from you or vice versa. Especially with tanks being able to contribute extremely well in the DPS department now.

Suggested Addons: Raven, Shadowed Unit Frames, Recount, WeakAuras, Prat, GTFO, OmniCC, TidyPlates, Quartz, MoveAnything

As far as DBM vs BigWigs: in my opinion, if you're in a consistent raid group it's better to have everybody on one or the other. Having people on both can sometimes cause confusion.
    Last edited by virtual; 2012-12-07 at 07:48 PM.
    Virtualize <Solution> @ Greymane | virtual#1157 | Web | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook
    Hermes - Share cooldown status with raid/party.
    Skada: Survivability - Show when a character died during a specific attempt.
    AffDots - Track the potency of your DoTs on a target.

Quote Originally Posted by Triemer View Post
    Thanks 4 the replies so far.

@Kaliani: didn't like that the Castbars are always visible with Gnosis. BigWigs seemed so complicated in the config when I tried it out in WotLK so I prefered DBM but I'll take a look at it again.
    You can turn off the "always visible" option in Gnosis, it mostly there for setting up purposes I would assume. I've used it for quite some time now, having used pretty much all the other castbar addons, Gnosis is the best I've used.

Deleted
    You can turn off the "always visible" option in Gnosis, it mostly there for setting up purposes I would assume. I've used it for quite some time now, having used pretty much all the other castbar addons, Gnosis is the best I've used.
    THIS turnes the tables. Need to dig a little bit deeper into the configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Triemer View Post
    THIS turnes the tables. Need to dig a little bit deeper into the configuration.
    Gnosis -> Castbars -> Whichever castbars you want to edit -> Uncheck "Unlock castbar" and "Show when not casting" once you are done editing the looks and placement you like. Then they will be hidden and only show when something casts.

Weakauras, weakauras, and weakauras. You can do almost everything with weakauras.