Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is Blizzard going to do something with low pop and highly unbalanced servers?

I play Alliance on EU Kazzak, high/full pop server. Yes, it is full of Horde. There is about 3 - 5% Alliance. I don't have credit cards to pay for Char migration, so I am forced to continue playing my 3 lvl 70 + chars on this server. I don't care, if there is so few of us (Alliance), but I do care about other things. When I want to buy something on AH, glyphs for example, prices are usualy 10 times higher then on the Hordes side or higher Alliance pop servers, like Sylvanas EU. Also, I couldn't sell a thing. Noone wants to buy my minerals, leather ... My bank and inventory is full od stuff, which I couldn't sell. The same situation i find on low pop servers.
    I think that Blizzar should do something about it.
    Sorry for english ...

i'd like to say they will but it seems that they believe that their whole cross realm zone fiasco is a fix to it and not just a band aid one. Unfortunately, with most games, the media and players go into a frenzy when servers are merged together that "the game is dying" and so Blizzard is probably on the same bandwagon (as its shareholders probably are aswell).

So we shall see, but i would not hold my breath on it happening.

I believe Blizzard is currently pointing to CRZ as the "fix" for that problem. Maybe something better will come along at some point. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    I believe Blizzard is currently pointing to CRZ as the "fix" for that problem. Maybe something better will come along at some point. Who knows.
    Pretty much this. I do know that the largest Horde and largest Alliance servers were paired for CRZ, but otherwise, its hard to balance when many of the player-base that hits 90 and raids is now Horde.

the only way to get around that would be Cross realm Auction houses, or the option to mail the items to another char on your account on a different realm or opposite faction

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stresskiller View Post
    the only way to get around that would be Cross realm Auction houses, or the option to mail the items to another char on your account on a different realm or opposite faction
    That would be great ...

Get everyone to stop paying for transfers and quit lol. That's the only message they understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessani View Post
    Pretty much this. I do know that the largest Horde and largest Alliance servers were paired for CRZ, but otherwise, its hard to balance when many of the player-base that hits 90 and raids is now Horde.
    Yeah. I'm not sure what determines the impact CRZ has. I play on two servers.

- Alliance on a mostly dead server. There's more horde than alliance on this one (probably something like 70% horde 30% alliance), but I'd be surprised if the total server population breaks 1,000. CRZ did almost nothing to help this server.

- Horde on a high-pop server that's probably 90% horde. That one got paired with a high-pop alliance server, and CRZ actually did make a big difference there. So it seemed to help balance the high-pop server, but it had almost no impact at all on the dead server.

So CRZ was for faction balancing... I thought it's purpose was something to fix low pop realms. The way Ciddy makes it seem that all it did was bring balance to factions on high-pop realms... who does that help - the 5% for the low faction on that realm? Well there ya go blizz talk about hearing and helping the loud minority.

Deleted
    they will offer you a suggestion to pay a character transfer for only 25$ (or regional equivalent).

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard decided that CRZ is the ultmiate solution to server imbalance, however not yet allow current tier to be cross realm, so not sure what can you do to find a large pool of players for raids on a low population server...

Deleted
    They will not fix this problem, on forum there is a popular about this that was made 1+year ago and the only answer ppls got is that blizzard is looking into it, well im pretty sure that a company like blizz could merge 2-3 servers or even combine AH+chat of 2-3 realms, heck that would take let's say 1 month at most for few developers. but it all comes down to money, i met someone that is working at blizzard few months ago and he said that blizzard is getting milions of $$ each year from character services.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    I play Alliance on EU Kazzak, high/full pop server. Yes, it is full of Horde. There is about 3 - 5% Alliance. I don't have credit cards to pay for Char migration, so I am forced to continue playing my 3 lvl 70 + chars on this server. I don't care, if there is so few of us (Alliance), but I do care about other things. When I want to buy something on AH, glyphs for example, prices are usualy 10 times higher then on the Hordes side or higher Alliance pop servers, like Sylvanas EU. Also, I couldn't sell a thing. Noone wants to buy my minerals, leather ... My bank and inventory is full od stuff, which I couldn't sell. The same situation i find on low pop servers.
    I think that Blizzar should do something about it.
    Sorry for english ...
    /create level 1's on Crushridge

/who Stormwind
    /player 1
    /me
    /run Censusplus - 6 alliance total

172 total auctions!

/who Orgrimmar
    /player 1
    /player 2
    /player 3
    PUG HoF? lol

Crossrealm zones really made a difference, thank you Blizz! /sarcasm
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This CRZ stuff may be the first baby step Bizz is taking to do somthign about low-pop servers, but untill sombody groes sorm big ones, nobody will even bring up merging servers, GH duid say that servers will be there in some from, but whay cant they just make 4 servers, 1 for PVP, 1 for PVE, 1 for RP-PVP, and 1 for RP-PVE, that way everybody gets what they want. PVP for the folks who chose it, just questing for thoses who chose just to quest and PVP as needed, and the RP folks get ther big area to play. The only trouble with thsi option I see is names how many guilds have the same name or players, that would pitch a fit if forced to change a name after a long time playinf with it

Deleted
    Now being honest, I don't get why they don't do a trick:
    -merge 20 servers into 5
    -make 2 new servers

You now have 7 servers where you before had 20.

-say that new servers use new technology so they decided to increase population cap and as such some servers were merged to see if this works properly, if it does other servers would be merged since new technology helps more people play on same server
    -also say they made 2 new servers for people who want to start fresh, they're using new tech.

And there. Done.

There is also a psychological reason for not merging the servers, the moment that is announced Blizzard admits WoW is past it's peak.

Wouldn't mind a fix so the balance between the two sides on each server is evened out so there isn't a lopsided server where you have too many Alliance and too few Horde (which is how it is on Alleria right now) on one server. That would help guilds on the lower populated faction recruit.

However a complete merge might be harder. Some people don't mind being on a medium populated server because it's easier to weed out the idiot players, and it also guarantees that there won't be queue times to be able to play. I don't want things on every server to be like that. Nice to have a few high pop servers, but to have every single server cause you to not be able to play for hours while you wait for someone to have enough of the game would be rather tedious and get old fast if it was as widespread as it could be if they did some full merges. Not to mention that they wouldn't necessarily solve the lopsided faction issue on some servers by doing that.
    I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hari-Kari rock! I need scissors! 61!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Now being honest, I don't get why they don't do a trick:
    -merge 20 servers into 5
    -make 2 new servers

You now have 7 servers where you before had 20.

-say that new servers use new technology so they decided to increase population cap and as such some servers were merged to see if this works properly, if it does other servers would be merged since new technology helps more people play on same server
    -also say they made 2 new servers for people who want to start fresh, they're using new tech.

And there. Done.

2008 article. Even much more improved technology since then.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/09...-server-model/

EVE can do it with a few hundred thousand subscribers, WoW can't do it with tens of millions in revenue each month. EVE is even older than WoW.
    The only difference between the two is the leadership. With CRZ, we know it's possible for each zone to run on a different "shard", or even a different physical server, to balance loadings. So why aren't they researching it?

Almost any time a discussion about EVE Online comes up, one way or another we end up talking about the server. EVE Online is unique among today's most popular MMOs for its single-server approach. While most MMOs deal with large number of users by starting up large numbers of separate servers with identical game universes, EVE maintains only a single copy of its game universe on a massive cluster of servers. CCP's decision to go with a server model that doesn't use any sharding or instancing whatsoever has had a major impact on in-game activities and how the game has developed.

Server woes:
    Unfortunately for CCP, maintaining their vision of a single game universe has proven a lot more difficult and costly than anyone anticipated. Working with IBM, the EVE server cluster is maintained in London and is currently the largest supercomputer employed in the gaming industry. Even with this massive power behind the EVE universe, there are still problems as CCP tries to keep the server upgraded ahead of its ever-expanding playerbase.

In this article, I discuss the unique gameplay that is possible thanks to EVE's server model, the problems the server currently faces and what CCP is planning to do about it.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

They do free server transfers, but people don't want to leave their servers so they stay on the high pop servers. This is generally easier to notice on PvP servers where players don't want to move away from certain servers (Such as Outland and Stormscale for EU). Funny thing about it though, is when they complain on forums that they can't login/

Deleted
    They have admitted that CRZ is not the panacea for Low-pop realms, they said that they do want to do more for them, like merging auction houses, but that just covers the economy part. Anyway, it's a pretty shitty situation to be in, and many people have been like that for years, I for instance play on a server that has like 50 90's during peak hours.. it sucks -- and I don't expect to see the AH merge/or anything more radical being done anytime soon, perhaps in the next expansion if we are lucky.