Poll: Do you suffer from clinical depression?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I am depressed and i'm in Therapy because of it. Started slowly and i didn't even realize that it's a mental Condition and took it for granted as part of my personality. Luckily, i had a Doctor intervening, sending me to an psychologist and now i'm getting my Stuff sorted out. Slowly, but steady.

I just wanted to say that it's not the best Descision to sit around and wait for it to leave. It will come back - and maybe its worse the next time it kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Did you even read what i wrote? I said "I'm NOT talking about a bad breakup." derp
    The fact you even mentioned it trivialises your comment.

Derp.

Did you read MY comment?

Nope cant say that i am and there's been a lot of shit happen in the last 10 odd years...from my mother dying to me loosing 2 jobs having to live with 2/3 retarded alcoholic drug abusers and the scum they brought back to the house leading to me getting arrested for a serious assault and almost getting jailed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im always some sort of depressed in the winter, but ahh np ill get over it > summer is comming :P

currently diagnosed with depression, severe anxiety and stress stemming from PTSD and, probably unrelated but I'll throw it out there for completions sake, a blister on my left foot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    As someone who's been diagnosed as clinically depressed for nearly a decade, I'd still have to agree with Chop that it's all in a person's head. That's not to say they don't have reason to feel the way they do, and it's not an easy thing to get through either way, but medication is just a weak temporary crutch, not a fix. The only fix is personal willpower.

It can help it, it's not a weak crutch. Don't demean those that use meds to help handle depression.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    The fact you even mentioned it trivialises your comment.

Derp.

Did you read MY comment?
    Yes I did, and let me repaste what I said then you said.

"When I mention depression, I'm not talking about a bad breakup"

then you stated:

"The fact you even mention "bad breakup" within your serious post about depression shows that you're either trolling, don't understand what depression is, or just don't have a lot of experience in life with anything. Why do I say this? If you think "bad breakup" = depression then you are completely trivialising "clinical depression" as a real diagnosable disorder."

Yes I did, and let me repaste it.

"The fact you even mention "bad breakup" within your serious post about depression shows that you're either trolling, don't understand what depression is, or just don't have a lot of experience in life with anything. Why do I say this? If you think "bad breakup" = depression then you are completely trivialising "clinical depression" as a real diagnosable disorder."

You are stating that I consider clinical depression a bad break up which I was saying "I'm not talking about a bad breakup when I mention depression" case closed
    You said: "And you're getting actual depression with short-term depression mixed up. Im not talking about a bad breakup, but what if your whole family was murdered and lost everything? All in your head still?"

Dumb.

You said "not talking about a bad breakup" because you're talking about "actual depression" which basically implies that depression is caused by bad break ups, and "actual depression" is having your family murdered.

End.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried changing your lifestyle?

Dump the PC, change your diet, get involved in new hobbies, get out and meet people?

Works 9 times out of 10.
    Sounds easy to do, but is very hard for somebody in a real depression.

I was in a depression for quite a long time, and even got medication. My recovery was helped by a lot of lucky external circumstances:
    I managed to get a job that I enjoy and can earn good money with, thanks to my uncle and I found "nerdy" friends, something I lacked my whole life beforehand.

Not everybody can be that lucky, and I know I personally wouldn't have made it out with willpower alone.

You said: "And you're getting actual depression with short-term depression mixed up. Im not talking about a bad breakup, but what if your whole family was murdered and lost everything? All in your head still?"

Dumb.

You said "not talking about a bad breakup" because you're talking about "actual depression" which basically implies that depression is caused by bad break ups, and "actual depression" is having your family murdered.

End.
    Well let me break it down to rudimentary level for you.

"And you're getting actual depression with short-term depression mixed up": I said this because you mentioned it's all in your head as if its something you snap out of it.

"I'm not talking about a bad breakup" : Meaning I was saying this example is considered short-term depression.

"But what if your whole family was murdered and lost everything?" : An event like this would lead to clinical depression

And what Zao said
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2012-12-09 at 09:05 PM.

Clinical depression is a very real thing.
    It's also, like ADHD and autism, grossly over-diagnosed. People love to self-diagnose themselves as depressed when they're really just angsty teens.

It's serious when it's legitimate, but there's so much bad diagnoses that it's just hard to take seriously anymore.

I dont know if i'm depressed anymore. I could very well be jaded, apathetic or fibromyalgia could be kicking my ass. Im definitely less depressed than I was 4 years ago.

Deleted
    Have you tried changing your lifestyle?

Dump the PC, change your diet, get involved in new hobbies, get out and meet people?

Works 9 times out of 10.
    Those are all great things to get you back into a positive/healthy state-of-mind, but typically when depression is severe enough, those kind of changes are not enough and you need something to help you with serotonin management.
    If the depression is mild enough, SSRIs and the likes are typically not much more affective than a placebo, but CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is extremely beneficial. One might be able to acquire the knowledge offered in this type of therapy "on your own" but, it would likely be extremely time-consuming and, should a depressed person feel suicidal impulses (I never have), there might not be enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    As someone who's been diagnosed as clinically depressed for nearly a decade, I'd still have to agree with Chop that it's all in a person's head. That's not to say they don't have reason to feel the way they do, and it's not an easy thing to get through either way, but medication is just a weak temporary crutch, not a fix. The only fix is personal willpower.
    Had you sought medical treatment, it might not have been a decade long problem.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-12-09 at 09:19 PM.

Deleted
    Ofcourse it all comes down to what's playing in a person's head, that's what depression is about afterall. But I think maybe even less than 1 in a million people can say they are happy regardless of where they are or what situation they would be in. So you can't just say it's all in a person's head. I'm only 20 years old and I don't feel really well too lately, it's just my home situation what sickens me at some point and makes me feel depressed sometimes. Can you say it's all in my head? Maybe. But if I would be in a better environment for me right now I probably would feel better so chances are big I wouldn't feel depressed. So imo it's not all in a person's head, atleast it seems I can't do anything about it in my current situation. So I just have to go through this time and hope for better times. That seems as healthy thinking to me. Or would you still call that depression and that it's all in your head while your current situation just stays unforgivable?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    It's also, like ADHD and autism, grossly over-diagnosed. People love to self-diagnose themselves as depressed when they're really just angsty teens.

It's serious when it's legitimate, but there's so much bad diagnoses that it's just hard to take seriously anymore.

And the chance some *angsty* teen declaring themselves depressed on the internet is.......like what?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Well let me break it down to rudimentary level for you.

"And you're getting actual depression with short-term depression mixed up": I said this because you mentioned it's all in your head as if its something you snap out of it.

"I'm not talking about a bad breakup" : Meaning I was saying this example is considered short-term depression.

"But what if your whole family was murdered and lost everything?" : An event like this would lead to clinical depression

And what Zao said
    Find the direct quote where I said you can "snap out of it".

You labelled "depression" as a symptom from a bad breakup, and "actual depression" as having your family murdered. Which would be Post Traumatic Stress, not "actual depression".

Based on that you have no clue what you're talking about.

The end.

What such an ignorant thing to say. Clinical depression is a very real thing.
    It's a mental disorder so it is in your head...

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Yes and no.

Based on the clinical description of depression: Yes.

Do i need medication or therapy to resolve my depression? No... I have reasons i feel that way. I need to change the things in my life that make me depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Those are all great things to get you back into a positive/healthy state-of-mind, but typically when depression is severe enough, those kind of changes are not enough and you need something to help you with serotonin management.
    If the depression is mild enough, SSRIs and the likes are typically not much more affective than a placebo, but CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is extremely beneficial. One might be able to acquire the knowledge offered in this type of therapy "on your own" but, it would likely be extremely time-consuming and, should a depressed person feel suicidal impulses (I never have), there might not be enough time.

Had you sought medical treatment, it might not have been a decade long problem.
    Fantastic response, I'm glad you didn't take offense to my post (I thought it would be easy to after I hit reply). Great advice (and accurate) from this person right here.

If you are actually suffering, look into serotonin management at the very least.

Deleted
    Fantastic response, I'm glad you didn't take offense to my post (I thought it would be easy to after I hit reply). Great advice (and accurate) from this person right here.

If you are actually suffering, look into serotonin management at the very least.
    Don't worry about it. I may get depression, but it takes a lot to make me cry.