Poll: Do you suffer from clinical depression?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    LOL @ 41% depressed people. Serious voters are serious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Clinical Depression or severe depression that is. Not short-term depression. I just realized most of the people in my life (friends & family) are depressed including me. I've already suffered from clinical depression but seeing everyone around me depressed as well is so hard to live with. Is anyone seeing this with them?
    Yes, I have going between states of being depressed, and just about coping with life for the last couple of years. This time of year is especially bad for me. Chin up Bigfoot, your not the only one out there with the illness, just remember to enjoy the good days when they come.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Either the people answering this question are subject to massive selective sampling, or there's a lot of people that like to whine in this thread. I'd guess the former, but I bet there's at least a little of the latter.
    Or it could be selection bias.

Nope, aslong as I got something to do inn my every day Im fine. Its when the boredome ticks inn, that I feel abit crappy.

...but thats normal for anyone
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's just say you don't want to interact me without my happy pills.

Deleted
    I'm slightly paranoid and tend to have deep moment of sadness but I would not call it depression

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh. I checked no because doctors told me I am not depressed but 40%... ooh shit I definitely do not believe in that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    LOL @ 41% depressed people. Serious voters are serious.
    You should not be surprised. Tooth decays and depression are the most common illnesses in this century. Thankfully I only had a bunch of severe tooth decays, and it only burned my pocket.

Although I agree that people who were sad for a day or two should stop saying that they are depressed.

I voted no, sometimes I can be depressed but I don't think I suffer from depression

10+ Year Old Account
    Never been diagnosed so I'm going to go with no, but sometimes I feel like it. I go through phases where I'm just fed up with life, can't be bothered doing anything at all, but they eventually pass.

I checked no because ive been diagnosed. I thought for a long time that I was so i went for help. Turns out all that depression was not what i think most of you think it is. I had severe social anxiety coupled with agoraphobia. Not wanting to go out, which just off what most of us do hiding behind a computer screen for hours on end, i felt out of touch with the world.

There is no simple answer though. I was on medication but to be honest id rather be who i am than what the meds made me. Yea i flet a little less nervous and upset all the time but i wasnt me. You are who you were meant to be. Its a tough pill to swallow sometimes.

A lot of people mistake depression for anxiety. The rat race world we are in today people are nervous a lot and people who cant handle it get depressed. Dealing with what ever causes the depression is key. From my support group most people became depressed due to not dealing with their anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Just because "it's all in your head" doesn't mean it isn't real.

I'm not depressed. I might have been at some time. But never anything serious. Never really seen anyone be truly depressed either. To me, if you can display emotions other than sadness then you aren't depressed.
    That's because you are ignorant to what depression actually is. Depression =/= sadness. You can be happy, and depressed at the same time. Being depressed is not an emotion, happy and sad are emotions. Being depressed is a state of mind where by you are despondent, lethargic, suicidal or reckless, distracted etc etc.

It doesn't mean, I am sad :'(. It means, while I may have times of happiness, or times of joy, I am struggling to find ambition and the will to be active. It is a mental state that often involves low self esteem, anxiety and over or under thinking. Insomnia and psychomotor retardation are often also commonly symptoms.

Just because someone can smile, does not mean they are not depressed, because they can laugh, does not mean they are not depressed. Although sadness is going to be the emotion they most commonly feel.

Just for clarification, I am not depressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    What such an ignorant thing to say. Clinical depression is a very real thing.
    technically, he's right. it's a chemical imbalance in your brain - thus "it's all in your head" is quite true.

PS: before i get jumped on, that was a joke. a play on words. please, internet, take it seriously, and rip it to shreds with studies showing that a single part of the whole is untrue making the whole thing untrue.
    Last edited by Ssith; 2012-12-10 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Oh come on... I know there are some people with depression around here, but 1/3 of voters? That's a bit much.

As for me, no. I don't consider myself to have depression. Sure, I feel down once upon of time, and sometimes I feel sad for no reason, but from here to say I'm clinically depressed? No.

Ok, since you're so sure it works 9 times out of 10, how about you give some links to studies showing that?

I'm going to say this once and once alone. NO. For some people it may help, for others it may not. You know your last cold? You remember it? Well some other person only had a drippy nose for a week having same cold while another person stood in bed with fever for 7 days and had sour throat, sneezing and all that while being on meds to have it pass.
    The conclusion: not everything that works for you works for everyone. This is why that random skinny person you know can eat 20 cookies but if you eat one you gain 1 kg. This is why you can see that ant 1 km away but some other person needs glasses to see a road sign 50 meters ahead. BECAUSE OUR BODIES REACT DIFFERENTLY TO DIFFERENT THINGS.
    Chop is right, I wouldn't quote a 9/10 figure, but it is an expression so he wasn't trying to quote a statistic. My doctor and psychiatrist concur, most people are told to increase physical activity and try new activities, most do not return to the doctor with similar symptoms - and state that being inactive and having a pattern of negative thoughts while inactive (easily broken with mild CBT), caused them to feel depressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    That's because you are ignorant to what depression actually is. Depression =/= sadness. You can be happy, and depressed at the same time. Being depressed is not an emotion, happy and sad are emotions. Being depressed is a state of mind where by you are despondent, lethargic, suicidal or reckless, distracted etc etc.

It doesn't mean, I am sad :'(. It means, while I may have times of happiness, or times of joy, I am struggling to find ambition and the will to be active. It is a mental state that often involves low self esteem, anxiety and over or under thinking. Insomnia and psychomotor retardation are often also commonly symptoms.

Just because someone can smile, does not mean they are not depressed, because they can laugh, does not mean they are not depressed. Although sadness is going to be the emotion they most commonly feel.

Just for clarification, I am not depressed.
    And it usually involves suicidal ideation. Planning and such.

2+ years ago? Absolutely. I've gotten better in many ways since I was pissing in jars in my bedroom and afraid to leave the house.

Kinda funny but everything is in your head. Not really applicable here. Depression starts out as what it is but people get hooked on the idea that they are depressed. Yes you are depressed and there is an issue but most people work there way out of it some cant and need a little help. Some people as witb all situations then use this as an excuse as with any situation. I use my anxiety as one with my wife all the time not by choice but out of habit. Thats what pisses people off about depression. After you realize you are depressed you should be seeking help but most dont or even when they do they use it as a excuse and abuse it. Those arr the people that stand out and create a bad stigma for the normal person.

People use everything as an excuse today and it gets sickening, this coming from a person who does it, and they are the ones who stand oit. Just gotta go by the old saying, life sucks then you die. People have little hope today though. With the lapse in religion people think this world is, it it suck, why me? Religion helped a lot of people through these things in the past and i dont care what peoples beliefs are at least people had hope. And to bash religion because of your beliefs when it gives so many people hope and gets them through the day is sad. I see so much religion bashing on these forms, not any particular one but all, its sad to think that basically all it does is destroys peoples hope for something better.

A little hope goes a long way to helping a depressed person get through these things that there is something better for them.

I've been suffering for depression for around 4 years now and still counting. Its hard to deal with, because everytime there is something or someone that somehow makes me feel worth beeing or happy what so ever and it gets taken away from me, it hits me even harder. I've learned my self to keep hoping and dreaming. And when ever you feel really down. At least I like to write about it. Not because someone should read it. Its just a way for me to get the words I need to tell, out of my head.

I don't believe in depression. I think people need to get a grip and change the things they don't like before they grab pills.

15+ Year Old Account
    I will consider myself as depressed but I but not consider my self clinically depressed, I got to go to an expert for that.

Also somewhat unrelated but I took a psychology class in high school, my favorite class in all high school.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose