Poll: Do you suffer from clinical depression?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    It's all in your head.
    You are just jealous the voices are talking to me!

Jokes aside..... It's a very serious problem. However, it seems like it's getting worse in today's society. I have no answers as to why.. But it's rising.
    Been through it too for a brief time, got over it. And I'm glad that I got rid of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I understand depression is a real issue an serious one at that, but what ever happend to just having a real shit day?
    Seems everyone says they are depressed these days (i know its a real serious issue an not trying to insult anyone with it).
    Chaotic Serenity - US Frostmourne Alliance 13/13 Mythic

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    For about 8 years now, but it was milder before I moved out 3 years ago
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2012-12-10 at 02:12 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

So far, 39% are clinically depressed?

Riiiiiiiight....
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Wouldn't say I'm depressed but I have some anxiety problems that I'm taking an MAOI (Phenelzine) for. It has made the problems a lot easier to handle and even fixed my sleeping pattern, I'm at an all time high in terms of day-to-day functionality. CBT or SSRIs never helped.

I was once really depressed. About 2 years in a row and i kept denying I was while everyone around me saw it and asked me if I was fine.
    I didn't want to be depressed, that was for the weak. I lost around 10kg and I'm already a thin person. I used to be a workoholic, straight A student. Got the highest degree that is possible to obtain etc. But i got dumped after 3y and didn't see it coming from miles. That she dumped me to become a cocaine **** and do threesomes with some low life "artists" was just the cherry on the pie and I lost all my self confidence and self esteem. I was truly self destructive, smoking piles of pot, spending full days sleeping... and some reason, i could drag myself to work and still deliver quality stuff. That I did to prove myself I was fine and everyone around me, I was just keeping up the appearances.

but ye then one day, when visiting my father he pushed it right in my face and I couldn't deny it anymore from myself. All those little excuses were blown away and I had to admit I was depressed. I took a holiday of 6months, first to really feel what was making me feel bad, and then to pull myself together.

anyway, admitting you're depressed is the first step to actually do sth about it. If it's just to draw attention... I don't think you're depressed. I know people who said that, but they weren't truly depressed. Real depressions come from ignoring problems too long. But ignoring problems and they'll go away is often true. If they don't go away, they'll eat you from the inside and you won't function. Just be honest with yourself is what i learned, if you feel shit, admit you feel shit, ask yourself why? Is nothing bad with feeling shit, tell people you got stuff on your mind and you need to clear it.

Depression is a rampant problem today compared to old because noone has any hope. Putting hope in other people and having it taken only makes things worse for the depressed person as i keep reading. Well lets look at what people have given up on in society in recent years. Hrmm could it be that religion made peoples lives better some how? At least to me its pretty obvious that people had hope back in the day even during some of the worst times in the world you didnt see this many people depressed. They had hope that if they could get through this life they had something better so it gave them hope that this would get better philosophically not like today.

Just a little food for thought with what has changed in society as of late where so many people are now depressed all the time. I would like to know how many depressed people are religous though. Not what religion but any religious beliefs in any diety. Tend to find people with a litle hope are far less depressed. You cant make someone religious thougb to end their depression i need to add. There is no diety that has a magic wand to fix things bit the state of mind growing up with hope os what i mean.

Deleted
    I don't think that you can take the poll here and use it for anything useful. As of now, you have 68 people voting yes, but what kinds of people actually click this link? The ones who find it interesting to read about, which would generaly be the ones who are either really bored or can relate. Point is, having a poll about being clinicly depressed shows nothing, except how many people who read about depression are actually depressed vs not depressed.

To answer the question though;
    I'm not clinicly depressed, but I used to be a few years back. It kind of gets to me when people who are just feeling sad claim to be depressed, because it feels like my problems get trivilized. If someone is "depressed" because their cat died and I am grouped up with them, were my problems just as mild even though I had to get medication to be able to even get out of bed in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    So far, 39% are clinically depressed?

Riiiiiiiight....
    Sounds fair, the sampling is not of everyone of a certain nation or from certain backgrounds. It's from people who spend a lot of time indoors playing games.

Prevalence is about 12% for clinical depression afaik, so 39%, wouldn't be too far from the truth. I think it's entirely possible 30% of the people who visit this site are clinically depressed so given that it's an ongoing survey, and that some people will troll and you always have a few fakers, see where it ends up.

How many people who don't have depression who visit this site will click the link? Not many as it probably doesn't interest them.

tl dr I think you are taking the stats far too seriously. Look at the replies instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Depression is a rampant problem today compared to old because noone has any hope. Putting hope in other people and having it taken only makes things worse for the depressed person as i keep reading. Well lets look at what people have given up on in society in recent years. Hrmm could it be that religion made peoples lives better some how? At least to me its pretty obvious that people had hope back in the day even during some of the worst times in the world you didnt see this many people depressed. They had hope that if they could get through this life they had something better so it gave them hope that this would get better philosophically not like today.

Just a little food for thought with what has changed in society as of late where so many people are now depressed all the time. I would like to know how many depressed people are religous though. Not what religion but any religious beliefs in any diety. Tend to find people with a litle hope are far less depressed. You cant make someone religious thougb to end their depression i need to add. There is no diety that has a magic wand to fix things bit the state of mind growing up with hope os what i mean.
    I tell you, I have had two notable episodes of depression, once in my senior year of my undergrad, and then one about a year ago. In both situations, I had no reason to be "unhappy", and really wasn't. I would say "numb" would be a better descriptor. The first incident was the most severe, where I had difficulty managing myself day to day. To this day I don't know what caused it. I was very physically active, spent time with a variety of close friends, was attending church regularly, and was genuinely doing well in school. And then all of a sudden, I could barely function. The second time however, I noticed the symptoms very early and got back onto a low dose medication regimen before the problem got out of hand.

To me, hope had little to do with it.

These days I work with the mentally ill population, and although I do advocate for things like church attendance, a gym membership, or other activities, its not to instill hope, but as part of distress tolerance/coping skills in a CBT/DBT skillset.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2012-12-10 at 02:58 PM.

Deleted
    I'm serious
    My cause for depression is lack of socialization.
    Lack of socialization is caused by addicting games (Counter-Strike and World of Warcraft in my case).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    I don't believe in depression. I think people need to get a grip and change the things they don't like before they grab pills.
    So much cluelessness I do not even know from where to begin.

Agreed kind of on the hope thing but it still helps. But being in a place where people accept you and are generally nice to you does help. Having someone you know and trust outside your family like a priest, pastor, or rabbi also helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I'm about as far away from depressed as one could be... well, I suppose I could win the lottery and never have to work another day in my life, but, that's fantasy world type stuff.

Anyway, no. My life is awesome. Hot wife, no kids, lots of money, live in the US, young-ish still and both of us are in great health.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You are just jealous the voices are talking to me!

Jokes aside..... It's a very serious problem. However, it seems like it's getting worse in today's society. I have no answers as to why.. But it's rising.
    Been through it too for a brief time, got over it. And I'm glad that I got rid of it.
    Anxiety and stress has been linked to depression, probably the main reason why it's becoming more of an issue in the more stressful parts of the world.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Sounds fair, the sampling is not of everyone of a certain nation or from certain backgrounds. It's from people who spend a lot of time indoors playing games.

Prevalence is about 12% for clinical depression afaik, so 39%, wouldn't be too far from the truth. I think it's entirely possible 30% of the people who visit this site are clinically depressed so given that it's an ongoing survey, and that some people will troll and you always have a few fakers, see where it ends up.

How many people who don't have depression who visit this site will click the link? Not many as it probably doesn't interest them.

tl dr I think you are taking the stats far too seriously. Look at the replies instead.
    I'd say a lot of people who visit here might be sad and lonely due to their habits, but that is not what clinical depression is. A clinically depressed person will be sad even in great circumstances. I'd bet a lot of people here would cheer right up if they came into fortunate circumstances (family situation improved, got a girlfriend, came into a large sum of money, etc.).

Sad because of bad situations =/= clinically depressed. Sad because of bad situations = perfectly normal for any of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    That's because you are ignorant to what depression actually is. Depression =/= sadness. You can be happy, and depressed at the same time. Being depressed is not an emotion, happy and sad are emotions. Being depressed is a state of mind where by you are despondent, lethargic, suicidal or reckless, distracted etc etc.

It doesn't mean, I am sad :'(. It means, while I may have times of happiness, or times of joy, I am struggling to find ambition and the will to be active. It is a mental state that often involves low self esteem, anxiety and over or under thinking. Insomnia and psychomotor retardation are often also commonly symptoms.

Just because someone can smile, does not mean they are not depressed, because they can laugh, does not mean they are not depressed. Although sadness is going to be the emotion they most commonly feel.

Just for clarification, I am not depressed.
    Mah man you fucking explained it better than anyone else. Kudos.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post

So you're arguing that the decline of religion and personally for me, Evolution/Science, has increased the chances of people becoming more depressed. I agree but I think it has a lot more to do than just that. The world is fucked up. Case Closed. You hear these problems, you don't know how to solve it, it sorta gets you down. And then you start looking into our society. Filled with greed but filled with knowledge but a lot are filled with ignorance. Our schools today have been promoting the message of acceptance, professionalism, religion, etc etc but very few can practice this. Our societies are a lot to blame for why people are becoming depressed.

Very few no how to solve it. I am now on anti-depressant pills but I can't do jack shit with it (honestly they just help me cope with my sleep deprivation and sleep apnea). People have told me to change myself in order to be happier... but one question I asked myself numerous times is why change yourself for this shit because in truth, it won't change anything.
    Last edited by Kickbuttmario; 2012-12-10 at 05:50 PM.

I don't consider myself clinically depressed, everyone gets blue from time to time, IMO there are way too many people out there who whine about being depressed whenever they get a reality check.

I wonder if anyone in this thread actually has a degree in psychology

10+ Year Old Account
    Born in war, seen my first (and not last) corpse when I was five, never got the chance to settle down in any place for a longer amount of time due to fear of us getting killed, fled to a peaceful country where I don't really feel like I belong when I was 8. Am 22 and still don't feel like I belong. Depressed? Yes. Therapy doesn't help, medication only helps that much and I often feel worse after they wear off, and I can't forget nor change my memories of my childhood. Reality check? I don't really get to escape from my reality. Not even when trying to escape through gaming or other means even thought I wish I could.

Everyone get depressed for different reasons. No one can really say that the reason someone else is depressed is not severe enough and that he should grow up or whatever. You can't really compare peoples problems since we are all different, and as such, different situations and events affect us in different ways.
    Last edited by Isoge; 2012-12-10 at 06:10 PM.