Page 1 of 2
LastLast

epic. the most overused term in our day.

it was not until recently that this really started to bother me. watching the video game pleb awards on spike really nailed it home however.

the word 'epic' is so overused nowadays that its just cancerous.
    ask someone how this song sounds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9J7vX1hKRc
    chances are youll be flooded with responses of 'omg so epic', 'hurr nostalgia durr', 'wotlk was the best derp'.

do people even understand what the word epic means anymore? its just infuriating. what kills me the most is hearing people use it to describe things that arent art, historical, or winning.
    alongside with the purples in WoW, the word epic has depreciated so far from its original usage.
    to support my claim, just see here http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epic
    im not alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope don't think peeps realize what "epic" truly means. :/

Nope, the most overused term is "fanboy".
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I was in a bookstore today, and they had a display of "New Teen Fantasy novels!" up. It said "GET EPIC."
    I cringed, because I know what they're trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrd View Post
    it was not until recently that this really started to bother me. watching the video game pleb awards on spike really nailed it home however.

chances are youll be flooded with responses of 'omg so epic', 'hurr nostalgia durr', 'wotlk was the best derp'.

do people even understand what the word epic means anymore? its just infuriating. what kills me the most is hearing people use it to describe things that arent art, historical, or winning.
    alongside with the purples in WoW, the word epic has depreciated so far from its original usage.
    to support my claim, just see here http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epic
    im not alone.
    Yes, the word is overused. And it's a damn shame. (It's a sign we're getting old. Damn kids, get off my lawn with your newfangled whatsit slang words!)

And yes, I too, read Maddox.

I'd say "gay" is the most overused term in our day.

Or maybe "retard".

Or maybe "nigger".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    I'd say "gay" is the most overused term in our day.

Or maybe "retard".

Or maybe "nigger".
    this, I facepalm every time i hear a white kid say nigger. Also agree with using "gay" to mean "stupid" or "retard." Ever since my friend came out the closet I've stopped using that word myself.

It's almost as tiring as everything being Zombied up. Let's zombie up this, let's zombie up that - OMG, IS, THAT, AN, EPIC ZOMBIE! This is how advertising works they take what's popular and rape the ever loving shit out of it - to the point that you want to vomit when you see or hear it. But, nowadays it isn't even just advertising that does this, it's become that everyone does it if you are a person in the spotlight. radio DJs, tv announcers... this whole generation is a F'ed up mess of unoriginality and soulessness.
    Last edited by slime; 2012-12-09 at 08:34 PM.

Deleted
    My mother feels the same way about the word "Awesome". I guess that's going back a long time but if you take the definition of the word, most things people say are "Awesome" couldn't really be considered so, does it really fill you with "Awe" everytime you say it? not really.

I guess epic is going down the same road.

im not alone.
    Why does it bother you? Who cares? And cancerous? You need a hobby dude. And no, epic isn't the most overused word nowadays. "Pathetic" is. It's the best passive/aggressive internet "I'm mad" response.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i agree, i believe the word in general is overused, not just in the WoW universe. ive heard lots of the younger generation refer to things as epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    this, I facepalm every time i hear a white kid say nigger. Also agree with using "gay" to mean "stupid" or "retard." Ever since my friend came out the closet I've stopped using that word myself.
    Except it's fine when a black dude says it?

Let the word die, or use it as a standard part of our vocabulary, no special pretense or circumstances around it. No rules/laws on how/when/who can use it, that's bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Nope, the most overused term is "fanboy".
    Then what about ''troll''?

10+ Year Old Account

im not alone.

In layman's terms, an epic is a really long poem story.. thing, like the illiad or the oddesy, is an epic. that is all, you can have a really lame epic.

as the kids these days say.. /thread
    Last edited by roahn the warlock; 2012-12-09 at 08:38 PM.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    do you mean when they say nigger in a deragatory way or a friendship way? i have a lot of black friends and i almost always call them my niggah. not to sound like im hardcore or black but because i just jokingly did it one day and it stuck, they dont find it offensive and often say the same thing to me. i also say it to my white friends. its just a way of saying "whats up".

as for the gay thing, southpark did a pretty funny episode about that referring to the word faggot. heres a snippet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Why does it bother you? Who cares? And cancerous? You need a hobby dude. And no, epic isn't the most overused word nowadays. "Pathetic" is. It's the best passive/aggressive internet "I'm mad" response.
    Seconding this. Epic and many other words are overrused, but I think pathetic takes the biscuit.

As far as the internet goes, or at least gaming, I'd say the most overused term is "fail." It's even more annoying because people use the word, which is a verb, as a noun or an adjective. Everytime someone does it, I'm tempted to say something like "and I bet you fail (verb) in English class, you failed (adjective) failure (noun.)"

And of course, this isn't counting crap like "umad" and "icwutudidthur" and all the other retarded internet lingo.

Deleted

im not alone.
    I could make the same claim for all these words too.... Language shouldn't be taken literally.

Beats Uber.

There was 1 console game which even had a "Super Uber" buff....

the meaning of "epic" has been replaced with nerdgasm. epic is now just a cooler awesome
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552