Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In your pants
    Posts
    49

    Smile Do you do martial arts?

    So, being a somewhat fan of hand-to-hand combat, I'm curious about what kind of martial arts people around here might be doing or plan on trying/starting possibly at some point? This thread is NOT about which martial art style/school/whatever is the best or most efficient/realistic/powerful/blahblah; so let's keep it positive.
    I'm more interested in merely why did you choose this or these particular styles or what you'd like to try out?

    Personally, at the moment I'm doing Ashihara karate. Why? It allows full contact karate rules and the dojo is located really close to where I live. So far most of the techniques seem effective and applicable in real life situations. Downside is the lack of grappling and ground techniques, though somewhat compensated by various powerful strikes.

    If I have the time and money I'd like to try BJJ or MMA (it'd possible for me to to practice both at the same place) or Hokutoryu-jujutsu.

    So, what about you?

    edit: typos
    Last edited by Jimer; 2012-12-09 at 09:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Wrestling because it doesnt involve striking or choking. Frankly all martial arts arent realistic for real world scenarios. You are better off learning how to handle a gun and getting a gun permit.

  3. #3
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In your pants
    Posts
    49
    Well, luckily where I live guns are extremely rare and the likelyhood of one being pulled on me in fight situation is very low. So, overall for me it's more useful to learn martial arts. Besides, guns don't really make you excercise, unless you run around with heavy machine guns for some rason

  4. #4
    Did judo a looooong time ago quitted and now i do boksing.

  5. #5
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,720
    I used to do Muay Thai for a while, couldnt keep going cause I couldnt fit it in my schedule anymore.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 03:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Wrestling because it doesnt involve striking or choking. Frankly all martial arts arent realistic for real world scenarios. You are better off learning how to handle a gun and getting a gun permit.
    Depends which martial arts you're talking about, some are suitable for street fights and some arent.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||HD6970/HD6950 crossfire|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||3x 1tb Western Digital HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  6. #6
    I've been doing Muay Thai. My body would revolve around striking, due to long reach and whatnot. I haven't done it for a few months but I plan to go back soon. The downside is obviously grappling.

    In the future, I plan to try out Brazilian jiu-jitsu and Krav Maga. BJJ for grappling, and Krav Maga for real life situations.

  7. #7
    i am trained in the greatest of gallifreyen combat O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

  8. #8
    I am Murloc! Tiili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,405
    Used to do Judo when I was younger but quit because most people I knew quit aswell.
    Close your eyes and smile.
    [15:53] <PizzaSHARK> you have such a cute accent! ^_^

  9. #9
    Used to do some mixed martial arts from a local place, got up to purple belt before I stopped. Can still kick above my head though!

    I would like to try Krav Maga though someday.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

  10. #10
    Pandaren Monk nalle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,803
    Been doing Muay Thai on and off for the past 5 years. Planning on starting again next year.

    Would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a full contact sport without submission/ground-pound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    Thank god you posted that pic done by Da Vinci The vitruvian man because to be honest I had NOOOO Idea what a Human body looked liked therefor had NO idea what you were refering too. With that said the sylvari are made of lettuce. If I twist up some cabage leaves too look like a human, it doesnt make it monohuman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    That picture has four arms and four legs. It's not a human, so it's clearly a spider.

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,765
    I did taekwondo when I was a kid, got a red belt that is somewhere in my parents house lol.

  12. #12
    Used to do some judo and then classic wrestling. Both are great for conditioning of your entire body. You'd feel great and well-rounded. I don't like to think about a practical "real life" application of MA, but would imagine that wrestling could be helpful in a life threatening situation where there's no knives or guns (honestly, it's hard to imagine a bandit who at least doesn't carry a knife).
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.

  13. #13
    Which martial art are you talking about? The martial arts I practice consists of nothing but real world scenarios. There are plenty of McDojos around that are like you describe.

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Wrestling because it doesnt involve striking or choking. Frankly all martial arts arent realistic for real world scenarios. You are better off learning how to handle a gun and getting a gun permit.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GGA1759 View Post
    Which martial art are you talking about? The martial arts I practice consists of nothing but real world scenarios. There are plenty of McDojos around that are like you describe.
    The cost of submitting to an attacker and giving him money/etc is less than the cost of learning how to fight properly and hoping that your training translates to real life ability and you do not freeze in fear. Yes, you can learn something like Krav Maga and it may make you feel like you can defend yourself, but realistically, how often do people mug you? How often do you get into a fist fight? No one in my family has ever been mugged or in a fist fight where skill mattered (a tussle among children does not require training). In the extremely unusual circumstance where you are mugged, your attacker is almost certainly going to be armed with at least a knife. Even if you are skilled at defending yourself, there is a chance, no matter how small, that you could lose and your life is worth more than whatever is in your wallet.

    If you want to look cool, have fun, or feel like you are able to defend yourself (have high self confidence), then sure, martial arts makes sense. If you want to prepare for the situation in which you have to deal with a mugger, never carry more than a couple hundred dollars, make sure you know how to cancel all your credit cards, and do not where expensive jewelry. If you want to prepare for the extraordinarily rare situation of a house invasion by people who are looking to kill/rape you and your family, invest in good security MAYBE learn how to handle a gun. If you want to prepare for the extraordinarily rare situation where you get into a fist fight as an adult at a bar or whatever, I suggest learning how to be more civil and avoid such situations. Martial arts training is ALWAYS unrealistic because you are being taught how to fight in a safe environment where your life is not on the line. Fighting with fear is something martial arts cannot prepare you for. At the time of an attack, you may be a 30 year veteran of Judo or whatever, but you may end up shitting yourself in fear and be unable to utilize your skill. Yes, there may be that rare chance when you are 40-50 and someone comes into your house and rapes your daughter or wife and your training could all pay off, but really? It is almost universally better to submit to the attacker's desires and call the cops.

    If you are going to train, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not train at a place that gives belts. WTF do belts even mean? I could open a studio and give a black belt for being able to make a fist. Having a black belt in something is worthless because no one knows the value of that black belt. Belts are a marketing gimmick.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 12:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i am trained in the greatest of gallifreyen combat O-O
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...WXCNwSFpy20_-w
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-12-11 at 12:16 PM.

  15. #15
    Wow.....so you just would rather roll over and expose your belly? At what point do fight back if you are constantly being mugged. This mentality is a sheep mentality and probably another reason why society is in decline. I have heard this way of thinking for several years now and I will never understand it. You would make a good little soldier who does everything he is told and never questions anything.

    Besides you know nothing of the martial arts since you think it's all about fighting. It's much more than that. It's not about looking cool, it's about humility and perfection of character. It's also about working out and getting great excercise. Martial arts will teach you a skill set that will stay with you through out your life that you can pick up and continue at anytime and it continually evolves.


    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    The cost of submitting to an attacker and giving him money/etc is less than the cost of learning how to fight properly and hoping that your training translates to real life ability and you do not freeze in fear. Yes, you can learn something like Krav Maga and it may make you feel like you can defend yourself, but realistically, how often do people mug you? How often do you get into a fist fight? No one in my family has ever been mugged or in a fist fight where skill mattered (a tussle among children does not require training). In the extremely unusual circumstance where you are mugged, your attacker is almost certainly going to be armed with at least a knife. Even if you are skilled at defending yourself, there is a chance, no matter how small, that you could lose and your life is worth more than whatever is in your wallet.

    If you want to look cool, have fun, or feel like you are able to defend yourself (have high self confidence), then sure, martial arts makes sense. If you want to prepare for the situation in which you have to deal with a mugger, never carry more than a couple hundred dollars, make sure you know how to cancel all your credit cards, and do not where expensive jewelry. If you want to prepare for the extraordinarily rare situation of a house invasion by people who are looking to kill/rape you and your family, invest in good security MAYBE learn how to handle a gun. If you want to prepare for the extraordinarily rare situation where you get into a fist fight as an adult at a bar or whatever, I suggest learning how to be more civil and avoid such situations. Martial arts training is ALWAYS unrealistic because you are being taught how to fight in a safe environment where your life is not on the line. Fighting with fear is something martial arts cannot prepare you for. At the time of an attack, you may be a 30 year veteran of Judo or whatever, but you may end up shitting yourself in fear and be unable to utilize your skill. It is almost universally better to submit to the attacker's desires and call the cops.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by GGA1759 View Post
    Wow.....so you just would rather roll over and expose your belly? At what point do fight back if you are constantly being mugged. This mentality is a sheep mentality and probably another reason why society is in decline. I have heard this way of thinking for several years now and I will never understand it. You would make a good little soldier who does everything he is told and never questions anything.

    Besides you know nothing of the martial arts since you think it's all about fighting. It's much more than that. It's not about looking cool, it's about humility and perfection of character. It's also about working out and getting great excercise. Martial arts will teach you a skill set that will stay with you through out your life that you can pick up and continue at anytime and it continually evolves.
    Straw man argument: you aren't constantly getting mugged. Yes, I would rather not fight because risking my life is not worth anything I carry on me OR having to risk being arrested or being sued for battery. I would likely be found not guilty, but who knows? If we are going to be paranoid about being attacked in real life, why not be paranoid about being wrongfully convicted? Even if I am found not guilty, the time and expensive involved in a trial is not worth it. As to the whole sheep mentality thing, and I am not precisely sure what you mean by it, there are ways to show strength other than with your fists.

    As to martial arts being a good workout, I agree, which is why I do wrestling (see above). Wrestling is fun, a good workout, and you don't have to deal with being choked or struck. As to it teaching discipline... ehhh I have heard that argument but I don't think it is something that can be shown to be true. Yes, learning martial arts takes time and dedication. So does learning how to do any professional vocation in life, learning how to eat healthily, and getting rid of a bad habit. Humility and perfection of character, as you call it, is something you seem to lack considering you think society is declining and turning into a bunch of sheep. I can only assume you don't do martial arts, or, if you do, you have failed in that partial aspect of the art. I think humility and perfection of character is taught better through introspection and philosophy courses (and potentially religion as an analogue to philosophy).

    Look, I am all for going against the system when the system is flawed. Even as an officer of the court, I recognize that the law is not everything and should not be followed blindly. There are some fundamental rights or injustices in society that would morally and ethically warrant someone breaking the law and going against society. But that has NO relevance to this conversation. Self defense is within the law. You are allowed to protect yourself. I merely suggested that doing so tends to be a bad choice! Not always, mind you.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-12-11 at 01:19 PM.

  17. #17
    Bloodsail Admiral Cryonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SYS 64738
    Posts
    1,021
    ju-jutsu brown belt
    ..:: Lvl 90's: 50 ::..

  18. #18
    I'm sorry you will never understand what I mean by sheep mentality. I'm glad I'm not a family member of yours because in certain situations you would roll over and show your belly because you are paranoid about being wrongfully convicted for defending your life if it came to it. I never said that you cannot show strength with your fists only. In fact that is the last resort. The idea is to avoid it.

    How does believing society is in decline and many people are sheep seem that I am lacking in humility and character? It's an opinion I have every right to believe.

    Martial arts is all about philosophy, so why do I need to take courses? Introspection doesn't teach humility or character, but is a product of it.
    Religion cannot ask the tough philosophical question because it is afraid of the answers.

    Enjoy your evening. This was a fun conversation, but I can see that this is going no where.
    Good night.


    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Straw man argument: you aren't constantly getting mugged. Yes, I would rather not fight because risking my life is not worth anything I carry on me OR having to risk being arrested or being sued for battery. I would likely be found not guilty, but who knows? If we are going to be paranoid about being attacked in real life, why not be paranoid about being wrongfully convicted? Even if I am found not guilty, the time and expensive involved in a trial is not worth it. As to the whole sheep mentality thing, and I am not precisely sure what you mean by it, there are ways to show strength other than with your fists.

    As to martial arts being a good workout, I agree, which is why I do wrestling (see above). Wrestling is fun, a good workout, and you don't have to deal with being choked or struck. As to it teaching discipline... ehhh I have heard that argument but I don't think it is something that can be shown to be true. Yes, learning martial arts takes time and dedication. So does learning how to do any professional vocation in life, learning how to eat healthily, and getting rid of a bad habit. Humility and perfection of character, as you call it, is something you seem to lack considering you think society is declining and turning into a bunch of sheep. I can only assume you don't do martial arts, or, if you do, you have failed in that partial aspect of the art. I think humility and perfection of character is taught better through introspection and philosophy courses (and potentially religion as an analogue to philosophy).

    Look, I am all for going against the system when the system is flawed. Even as an officer of the court, I recognize that the law is not everything and should not be followed blindly. There are some fundamental rights or injustices in society that would morally and ethically warrant someone breaking the law and going against society. But that has NO relevance to this conversation. Self defense is within the law. You are allowed to protect yourself. I merely suggested that doing so tends to be a bad choice! Not always, mind you.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

  19. #19
    Dreadlord the0o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Zangarmarsh
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimer View Post
    ....Besides, guns don't really make you excercise, unless you run around with heavy machine guns for some rason
    Marine Corps PT, Had a gunney break out the SAWs with full ammo cans for a 6 mile fun run. (Hint not fun at all)

    Because he hated the navy and hated corpsman for some reason.


    Thinking of joining a martial arts class but no idea which style, any ideas for a 185lb 28 year old married dude with a growing coke belly?

    "Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"


  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post
    Marine Corps PT, Had a gunney break out the SAWs with full ammo cans for a 6 mile fun run. (Hint not fun at all)

    Because he hated the navy and hated corpsman for some reason.


    Thinking of joining a martial arts class but no idea which style, any ideas for a 185lb 28 year old married dude with a growing coke belly?
    Boxing or any of the grappling sports.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •