1. #1
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    104

    Overclocking CPU questions?

    Hello everyone I recently bought a new computer and was looking into overclocking it for some extra speed and smoothness. I do however have 2 questions?

    Is my processor good enough to overclock? (AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz)

    If I did overclock what is the risk of my computer blowing up or some other horror story I've heard?

  2. #2
    That processor you can OC to 4.2 with auto settings. Just change your multiplier so it reads 4.2 - my old comp had that. Max temp I had was 30c @ 4.2 with Prime95

    If you start messing with too high of a clock and messing with voltages you can damage your CPU, but beyond that you don't have much to worry about.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    Hello everyone I recently bought a new computer and was looking into overclocking it for some extra speed and smoothness. I do however have 2 questions?

    Is my processor good enough to overclock? (AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz)

    If I did overclock what is the risk of my computer blowing up or some other horror story I've heard?
    I have or we have one question, what cooler are you using? If stock, just forget overclocking.

  4. #4
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    I have or we have one question, what cooler are you using? If stock, just forget overclocking.
    TBH, I don't really know. I bought a cheap pre-built off newegg on cyber monday.

    Here's the build http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227437

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    TBH, I don't really know. I bought a cheap pre-built off newegg on cyber monday.

    Here's the build http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227437
    I just checked, seems like it's the amd stock cooler and this one should be a little bit more capable of overclocking than intel's one. Just changing the multiplier and saving & rebooting, this isn't a way really. The motherboard will overvolt it for a certain frequency and you can run into heat issues. So you have to be very precise with the voltage. I would say test for now your temperatures with prime95 small fft's with coretemp as monitortool. Use cpu-z to check what the Vcore is like.

    Give us the voltage during prime95 and your temps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •