Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    YYYEEESSS!!!

The Repopulation has dropped it's NDA, and is now available on Steam EA! Now I can finally get in! Whohoo!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    YYYEEESSS!!!

The Repopulation has dropped it's NDA, and is now available on Steam EA! Now I can finally get in! Whohoo!
    Thanks for posting this because otherwise I wouldn't have known. As much as I'm looking forward to playing the game, getting news and information updates has been difficult for me and wouldn't have known otherwise.

For anyone who backed this in kickstarter just go to www.therepopulation.com, log in, under "early access" then "my pledge", just scroll down to your keys and click "request steam key", it's an instant one time generation of a key for you.

Steam is SO much easier for updates and news than hoping for emails or checking the website now and again so I'm happy.

Been following this for a while and am still looking forward to checking it out, but man, I'm totally not interested in it enough to drop $40 on it -_-

Deleted
    40 dollar to try is a bit heavy.
    How will the final business model be, p2p, f2p, b2p?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    40 dollar to try is a bit heavy.
    How will the final business model be, p2p, f2p, b2p?
    Last I remember some form of F2P.

Deleted
    Yup, free to play with an in-game cash shop. No actual list of what will be for sale in the cash shop yet but this is the statement from the devs

We will not be Pay To Win. It is our feeling that free players are an important part of the user base and they add to the community. We don’t want those players to feel that they are at an unfair disadvantage just because they haven’t paid. While there may be things like skill gain increase boosts, we’re looking at lower increases than the 100%+ than has become standard in modern MMOs. We also don’t plan on adding items of power, such as potent armor, weapons or fittings. We do feel that players should earn whatever they get. That having been said, we do have to generate revenue in some way.

Account perks for one. Things like extra bank, inventory or character slots. Cosmetic items such as different armor or weapon looks. Non-combat oriented cosmetic or convenience items such as new hairstyles or furniture may also be available. We’ll explore and adjust as necessary.
    The kickstarter tiers came with a similar $ cash shop amount to what you spent but I don't see any mention of that on steam. I don't think it's worth paying $40 for a very early beta access on a free to play title if it comes with nothing, but if it comes with $40 in game credit (which is what the kickstarters did), then it's more worth.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2014-12-24 at 05:22 PM.

This game has had such a long development cycle, I don't know what to expect.

Well do you get anything for paying the 40$? Does anyone know. Or are we paying 40$ to bug test their game.
    Feels weird paying 40 just to test it. Do we get any currency etc? I want to play it but I might just wait for F2p released game if im paying 40$ purely for alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Well do you get anything for paying the 40$? Does anyone know. Or are we paying 40$ to bug test their game.
    Feels weird paying 40 just to test it. Do we get any currency etc? I want to play it but I might just wait for F2p released game if im paying 40$ purely for alpha.
    I know it includes...stuff, but I'm not quite sure what specifically comes with it. Can always ask on the Steam forums : )

10+ Year Old Account
    Dropped $25 on this a year ago. Can't wait

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the combat still terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Is the combat still terrible?
    Since when was it ever?

10+ Year Old Account
    Since when was it ever?
    You actually enjoy the buggy, laggy, non responsive combat in this game?

edit: From your post above (the top of this page), you haven't played this game till it was released on Steam. I am asking if the combat is still the buggy laggy mess from a few months ago. For someone who is new to the game, you sure are funny for asking when was it ever...
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2014-12-27 at 03:54 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    From the few post-NDA videos I saw of the game, the combat seemed pretty bad. Then again, I wouldn't play this game for the combat.

Price tag's too high to be trying it out and see if the non-combat parts of the game make me stick with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    You actually enjoy the buggy, laggy, non responsive combat in this game?

edit: From your post above (the top of this page), you haven't played this game till it was released on Steam. I am asking if the combat is still the buggy laggy mess from a few months ago. For someone who is new to the game, you sure are funny for asking when was it ever...
    I've followed a few impressions blogs on it; yes it sounds like the RPG combat is bad but the FPS side of it is generally said to be quite well done.

Deleted
    I've been waiting to try out the new steam build but there were no servers available.
    Turns out, you have to go to the main site, generate your steam key, activate it on steam, and then you need to go to https://www.heroenginegames.com/therepopulation then login and redeem your steam key there (even though it at no point tells you in the client or anywhere else to do so unless you go to the forums to see if there are server issues). If you don't, you'll get a successful log in with no indication that you've done anything wrong and then a server list that looks like the servers are offline.

They've clarified what comes with the $40 steam purchase. You don't get any credits but you do get some perks

- Lifetime Gold Membership. This provides a number of account perks such as additional inventory, bank, shared bank, and character slots.
    - 1 Day Headstart at Launch.
    - 1 Repop Token at Launch. This allows you to select an item of your choosing from a list of items. This is similar to a collector's box item except that you can pick the one you want.
    - Name Reservation at launch.
    - Instant Alpha Access
    It's also $34 direct on their site and there are other higher options that do come with credit https://www.therepopulation.com/crowdfunding/
    For people buying in higher price areas (UK, EU) for example, you might get better value since it's $34 from anywhere direct with their site.

Everything seems pretty good. Takes me back to Star Wars Galaxies MMO. Repop is uniquely deep player-driven organic sandbox mmo game. It is not a themepark, nor is it a harsh and hectic open pvp FPS. One has control over every skill element through the tutorial, then upon use, and continuous refinement and focus on a skill, you can progress in them. After the initial tutorial you pretty much have your choice of how you want to pursue your career, build your character, from that point onward.

If you prefer running missions, they have an advanced mission generation system that ensures you'll always have missions to do. It creates these based on your characters skill set and reputation. These aren't all simple missions either, the generation system allows for some very advanced missions, there are some that have 15+ steps but generated elements, NPCs, items, etc.

If you aren't a combat person, you can make your living in trade skills; player-driven auctions and house. Advancing in trade skills is independent of combat and does not force you into a combat role. As with combat, they have a complex trade skill system which allows for a high degree of customization by mixing and matching components. It also has a high degree of inter-dependency on others, which is going to drive the economy.

There aren't caps to the number or mastery of skills so you can invest in each skill line how you see fit. It does take awhile to master each, so it does make sense to focus in fewer areas or work with others who can help to fill in the holes.

For example, trade-skill progression is both vertical (gaining more skill unlocks more abilities, better results from recipes, etc) and horizontal (I am skilled in both rifles and first aid so I can switch those roles if needed). Their vertical progression isn't as polarizing like in WoW (you might not be able to take a more skilled player in a 1vs1, but a 2vs1 it is very possible). In SWG terms, you could have a 14 point tailor who is ALSO a master bounty hunter! The same is true for The Repopulation.

Guilds, I think, will enjoy their nation system which allows them to construct cities in the open world, and to besiege the cities of their enemies.

Fans of public quests like Rift, Warhammer or Guild Wars 2 style events will enjoy the engagement system. It is similar to what you saw in previous games, but can also mutate and spread based on how players interact. Many of the engagements have long-term effects allowing content to cater itself to the way players are performing.

Suffice to say players have a high degree of freedom and choice, as opposed to being leashed to a path in a closed instanced world. Be it through entertainment, diplomacy, raiding, upgrading, vehicles, pet types (robotic, engineered or tamed), and three faction PvP.

Saw that earlier. Mildly tempted, but I'll still hold off.