Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by xtramuscle View Post
    Because your dots will expire within a second of each other excluding wrath/starfire crits. You're worrying about losing a 1 second tick on an eclipsed DOT (knowing DOTs don't even tick every 1 second) when you should be worrying about the DPS loss of putting Lunar Shower on the non eclipsed DOT over the eclipsed one.
    This highlights my reasoning behind first applying the eclipsed DoT then the non-eclipsed one, as you are more likely to have both DoTs carry through to the next eclipse as the eclipsed DoT gets refreshed but the non-eclipsed DoT does not. Note: the lunar shower buff only affects the direct damage not the ticking DoT damage.

I double checked this over at elitist jerks and found this (under advanced techniques of Hamlets' Moonkin guide)
    "When casting two DoTs at the beginning of Eclipse: first cast the Eclipsed DoT, then the uneclipsed DoT, then Starsurge if it's up. In Lunar, cast Starfall before all other spells since its DPS drops when Eclipse ends, unless you're using the DoT clipping technique, in which case you cast it after the Moonfire."
    Source: http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t130885-...ced_Techniques
    Last edited by craigp100; 2012-12-11 at 03:06 PM.

I had the same problem too, but I started fixing my dots and it was minimal dmg upgrade I see.. But today I realized im casting too much SS sometimes when im in eclipse state. I tried using one only and if it proc use it after I got out. I saw a big diff. If im doing it wrong hopefully someone can correct me.

10+ Year Old Account
    it would be more inclined to hold my SS procs if they stacked to two stacks. But i am pretty sure using no more than one SS during an eclipse refers to solar eclipse and not lunar eclipse.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the detail in here. I was looking for some of the same info that the original poster was looking for to tweak my dps and there was a lot of good stuff in here. Not that the "Fix My DPS" thread isn't awesome, cause it is great, but this really hit the detail I needed. Just wanted to say thanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by craigp100 View Post
    This highlights my reasoning behind first applying the eclipsed DoT then the non-eclipsed one, as you are more likely to have both DoTs carry through to the next eclipse as the eclipsed DoT gets refreshed but the non-eclipsed DoT does not. Note: the lunar shower buff only affects the direct damage not the ticking DoT damage.

I double checked this over at elitist jerks and found this (under advanced techniques of Hamlets' Moonkin guide)
    "When casting two DoTs at the beginning of Eclipse: first cast the Eclipsed DoT, then the uneclipsed DoT, then Starsurge if it's up. In Lunar, cast Starfall before all other spells since its DPS drops when Eclipse ends, unless you're using the DoT clipping technique, in which case you cast it after the Moonfire."
    Source: http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t130885-...ced_Techniques
    Hamlet wrote that without consideration to Lunar Shower. With lunar shower in play, it's a wash. Also, with most raids that we run into, we're multi-dotting multiple targets, running, etc, etc, where dots are going to fall off regardless, before the beginning of the next eclipse, so empowering the initial damage of the eclipsed dot will give a decent damage boost. (I've seen initial applications hit for well over 60k).
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre