Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Is there a "best" pet for raiding situations

    One would assume that because all pets can be ferocity now that you can take any pet for raiding, however I am unsure if there are better pets for specific circumstances.

    I heard someone in my guild saying that a BM Hunter using a Worm pet could easily beat a SV Hunter in AoE. I also managed to tame Nuramoc today and he has an ability called Froststorm Breath and I am wondering if that would also be beneficial for AoE macroed into Multi-Shot or something. Similarly are there any pets that are better for single target or that have a special ability that would warrant it's use over other pets (assuming your group already has full buffs and debuffs).

  2. #2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhvvNGeHHME

    The only way a BM hunter would beat an SV hunter would be during the duration of a 5x worm stampede burrow AoE, which is, obviously, not sustainable. Burrow attack isn't even really that substantial of an increase over just regular beast cleave, last I checked. And froststorm breath is still a cone attack, so it remains highly unreliable as the direction your pet faces in relation to the positioning of an AoE pack is largely out of your control.

    With the recent SS buff, SV just outclasses BM AoE even further.
    Last edited by Spiralphoenix; 2012-12-06 at 07:49 PM.

  3. #3
    Hence, there's not "best" pet, just bring the pet that provides the buff your raid needs. Unless you have many AoE phases, your raid doesn't need any specific buff and you want to stick to BM, then you have no choice but to use a worm.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    ahh beat me to it

  5. #5
    The best pet is the pet your raid will need:

    Personally, I will switch to SV for certain fights because of that. I keep a spore bat (spell haste), a hyena (attk spd), Quilen (crit and battle rez), cat (mastery), and a worm for burrow attack in my current stable.


  6. #6
    Sporebat of course (see video above).

    Bring the pet that supplies a missing raid buff if there is one. Be willing to switch specs based on fight needs if you can play both specs at a high level.

    Raid > You.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhvvNGeHHME

    The only way a BM hunter would beat an SV hunter would be during the duration of a 5x worm stampede burrow AoE, which is, obviously, not sustainable. Burrow attack isn't even really that substantial of an increase over just regular beast cleave, last I checked. And froststorm breath is still a cone attack, so it remains highly unreliable as the direction your pet faces in relation to the positioning of an AoE pack is largely out of your control.

    With the recent SS buff, SV just outclasses BM AoE even further.
    HAHAHAH! I've never seen this! That's awesome!


  8. #8
    I am Murloc! Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    5,033
    Unless they have fixed it since Cata, the Chimera breath ability is such a wild hit or miss thing I wouldn't bother with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  9. #9
    It'd depend on your composition which buff is best for the raid. You should discuss this with your raid leader. Ideally, you want to have most if not all pets which make up for buffs you (sometimes) do not have. Else, there is probably an order (a flow chart?).

    In general I'd say get a Sporebot for the Energizing Spores buff. Why? Because it stacks with the other caster haste buff. Could be a bug.
    Last edited by lolalola; 2012-12-06 at 10:39 PM.
    "When i am done with you, you won't trust your own mind."

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    In general I'd say get a Sporebot for the Energizing Spores buff. Why? Because it stacks with the other caster haste buff. Could be a bug.
    Is this really true? My guildmate's been telling me about how Kripparrian said how op the sporebat was during his heroic Sha of Fear stream and I brushed it off thinking it was a troll from him-_-.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 20-man, HM-2/7M, currently recruiting all
    Website: http://www.guilesthemesong.wowlaunch.com
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,218
    Yeah, I tested the bug on Tuesday when I first read it. It definitely stacks with our shadow priest's Mind Quickening. It has to be a bug. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Yeah, I tested the bug on Tuesday when I first read it. It definitely stacks with our shadow priest's Mind Quickening. It has to be a bug. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.
    Did you test to see if people were actually benefitting from both effects, or just had both effects applied? Just because you have the buff doesn't necessarily mean they stack. I've seen 6x horn of winter on me at one time, and they most definitely do not stack.

    I'd be pretty surprised if they let that one through the radar, especially since the sporebat originally had a copy pasted version of the shadow priests spell haste until they fixed it to actually make sense on a sporebat.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    Did you test to see if people were actually benefitting from both effects, or just had both effects applied?
    Yes, we tested last week, and Kripparrian is indeed my source (via my guild).

    With the Sporebat I have ~31% haste as shadow (well over my cap).

    It is easy to test. Let shadow priest (and others who provide caster haste) go into shadowform, watch your haste percentage rise (5% max), and then ask the hunter to pop the Sporebot. Watch your rise once again (with another 5% on top).

    I can verify it still worked yesterday but we had rolling restarts last night.

    You can... "abuse" this by instead of gemming for int/haste or haste you gem for int or int/haste instead. It may even allow some people to get to new haste caps.
    "When i am done with you, you won't trust your own mind."

  14. #14
    Just tried it, the priest one would override my sporebat's Mind Quickening whenever it went into Shadowform.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 20-man, HM-2/7M, currently recruiting all
    Website: http://www.guilesthemesong.wowlaunch.com
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Yes, we tested last week, and Kripparrian is indeed my source (via my guild).

    With the Sporebat I have ~31% haste as shadow (well over my cap).

    It is easy to test. Let shadow priest (and others who provide caster haste) go into shadowform, watch your haste percentage rise (5% max), and then ask the hunter to pop the Sporebot. Watch your rise once again (with another 5% on top).

    I can verify it still worked yesterday but we had rolling restarts last night.

    You can... "abuse" this by instead of gemming for int/haste or haste you gem for int or int/haste instead. It may even allow some people to get to new haste caps.
    I just tested with both a spriest and boomkin in my guild. Neither stacked.

  16. #16
    No they definitely stack been doing this for awhile

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,218
    Maybe they fixed it with the rolling restarts: I did it by joining a group with our spriest not in shadow form and with no pet out. He popped shadowform, his haste went up 5%. I popped my sporebat, it went up another 5% (though it's multiplicative or something, it's not an exact 5%). This was through the character sheet, not just seeing both buffs at the same time.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Maybe they fixed it with the rolling restarts: I did it by joining a group with our spriest not in shadow form and with no pet out. He popped shadowform, his haste went up 5%. I popped my sporebat, it went up another 5% (though it's multiplicative or something, it's not an exact 5%). This was through the character sheet, not just seeing both buffs at the same time.
    The buffs wont appear at the same time on the buff bar

  19. #19
    Tested with yet another shadowpriest. It does not work. Their haste doesn't change. If it ever did work, it's been fixed

  20. #20
    A tallstrider if your raid has all the debuffs/buffs present. The aoe armor debuff is so helpful. Like on wind lord mel'jarak.

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •