Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Foreign language, is it suspendable?

Well, a few years back I had a french friend on a english realm who had a few lock macros. The thing with them was that they were in french. We did a raid and about a week later, he talks to me again. I hadn't heard from him, but I did see him online. He told me that he had received a talking suspension for speaking a foreign language on an english language dedicated server. He also told me that he was informed that should he violate this rule again, he would be asked to server xfer to an appropriate server for that language. After all that, he ended up quitting because of this.

When I told trade about this the other day in warning to someone posting in a french macro, I got laughed at, called a troll, and basically was ignored as the guy then proceeded to spam his macro even more just to be spiteful. So, I am wandering if what my friend had said was true. Is there any truth that you can receive a talking suspension for speaking a language other then what a server is dedicated too? At the bottom of the realm lists, there are tabs that indicate which zone those realms are in. So I always assumed he was telling the truth.

not sure but it would make sence after all you can right click report language

Quote Originally Posted by stresskiller View Post
    This was back in the start of wrath. I was a very new player back then, but I don't think the language was in yet as being a report selection.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should not have any action taken against your account. Your reputation on the realm however.. I can't say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    My buddies and I used to use Google Translate and pretend to be BRs in LFR. It was pretty hilarious and we never got in trouble for it.
    I'm not talking about LFR or a BG or a dungeon. I am talking about in a public channel like trade, or /say on an english realm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    This was back in the start of wrath. I was a very new player back then, but I don't think the language was in yet as being a report selection.
    It means swearing not French ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by stresskiller View Post
    I'm fairly certain that is for BAD language and insults...

On topic: On my realm (which is one of the biggest in Europe) you get tons of Belgian, Dutch, Swedish spam macros. I understand that since there are no such realms after all.

What makes me angry is a Turkish guild that on top of spamming trade uses trade chat as a private chat channel. I told them to speak English once and they called me "boy lover" which i had to google translate. I really don't think reporting does anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure if your playing on a english speaking server and specially if its in general must be to be in English, arent there french servers
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephismo View Post
    It means swearing not French ffs.
    This.

He should have asked from the GM who suspended his account to provide him with a proof that speaking French on English realm is a violation against ToS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    This.

He should have asked from the GM who suspended his account to provide him with a proof that speaking French on English realm is a violation against ToS.
    It used to be a rule. You used to have to speak the realm language in public channels. You could use whatever language you wanted in /g etc.

They changed that at some point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    It used to be a rule. You used to have to speak the realm language in public channels. You could use whatever language you wanted in /g etc.

So, now a days you can speak a foreign language in a public channel on an english realm without getting in trouble, but at one time it was against the rules? If that is true, what happened to the guy with the french guild macro on my server in present day? I havent seen him in a week or so saying anything. Someone had whispered me saying not to bother with him that he had reported the guy already.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, now a days you can speak a foreign language in a public channel on an english realm without getting in trouble, but at one time it was against the rules? If that is true, what happened to the guy with the french guild macro on my server in present day? I havent seen him in a week or so saying anything. Someone had whispered me saying not to bother with him that he had reported the guy already.
    Um im confused are you talking about something that happened 2 years ago???
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post

When was it a rule? I've seen this very same argument pop up since the dawn of time of WoW in EU realms and whenever I've delved to it I've not seen any rule stating that speaking foreign languages in public chat channels would be offense against them. I do remember quite a few blue posts stating the opposite though.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Um im confused are you talking about something that happened 2 years ago???
    Im talking about something that happened 4 years ago effecting someone today. My op was about my friend who had actions taken against him for speaking a different language. I was wandering if it was true since last week I warned a guy using a french macro in trade about it and got called a troll.

We've occasionally started making small talk in General... in Dutch/Belgian. And laugh when the English players get pissed, then point out that the majority of the server is, in fact, Dutch/Belgian and Swedish.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    pretty sure if your playing on a english speaking server and specially if its in general must be to be in English, arent there french servers
    Before Russian realms were introduced, I had a nightmares on Tarren Mill EU from Russian speaking players constantly spamming general and trade with Cyrillic and no one saw them being suspended.

It's very unprobable. From what i've been reading some time ago, Blizzard's statement was that English realm means that it's wornking with English game Client, support is in English and *suggested* language for public channels is English. Not sure if it's still this way, but I'm playing on realm listed as English where 90% ppl are using foreign languages on public channels, and have no problems.

Well, a few years back I had a french friend on a english realm who had a few lock macros. The thing with them was that they were in french. We did a raid and about a week later, he talks to me again. I hadn't heard from him, but I did see him online. He told me that he had received a talking suspension for speaking a foreign language on an english language dedicated server. He also told me that he was informed that should he violate this rule again, he would be asked to server xfer to an appropriate server for that language. After all that, he ended up quitting because of this.

When I told trade about this the other day in warning to someone posting in a french macro, I got laughed at, called a troll, and basically was ignored as the guy then proceeded to spam his macro even more just to be spiteful. So, I am wandering if what my friend had said was true. Is there any truth that you can receive a talking suspension for speaking a language other then what a server is dedicated too? At the bottom of the realm lists, there are tabs that indicate which zone those realms are in. So I always assumed he was telling the truth.
    On my server people talk a lot of turkish. it is going on for years... so I don't know if people get suspended for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    When was it a rule? I've seen this very same argument pop up since the dawn of time of WoW in EU realms and whenever I've delved to it I've not seen any rule stating that speaking foreign languages in public chat channels would be offense against them. I do remember quite a few blue posts stating the opposite though.
    It used to be during the realm selection page IIRC. Something along the lines of "realm language: The language to be used on the realms public chats" or similar to that.

Deleted
    If someone speaks other than english in english realm I generally just "report language". Maybe they're talking shit about me with their shitty language, who knows, not me coz they're not speaking english in english speaking realm.