Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    That was in Burning Crusade, but I remember people suspended for talking russian in public channels. But it's talking and rather long - not just few random phrases or macro.

  2. #62
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    If we have to ask around to find the Finnish/Swedish/Dutch/whatever server, you're not going to get much sympathy for your complaint that English speakers are having to actually ask around about servers to find one without foreigners.

    Especially not since your problem is that you don't want to see foreigners, our problem is just actually finding the one server with our compatriots. I don't give a fuck if there's some language that I don't understand on trade chat. It's not like I'm going to go join that Greek guild even if Blizzard were to force them to recruit in English...
    Wait so it's the English speakers who rolled on an English speaking server that are the problem?
    Nobody has a problem with foreign players, people have a problem with foreign players who choose to join an English server and don't speak the language of the server.

    Is it a problem that there are no servers for those languages you listed? Absolutely. That doesn't mean you make it somebody else's problem and then blame them when they feel you're creating a language barrier on a server they chose because of it's language.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Wait so it's the English speakers who rolled on an English speaking server that are the problem?
    Well, that's the whole point. There aren't any English-only servers. If you want one go ask Blizzard for one.

    Of course, the reason why there isn't an English-only server is that only a fraction of people are actually so anal that they care whether they occasionally see some other language in trade...

    Nobody has a problem with foreign players, people have a problem with foreign players who choose to join an English server and don't speak the language of the server.
    Well if there's no server for their language, what do you expect them to do? There's more money in selling the game all over the world than in banning most of the world than satisfying the few English-speakers who get upset over seeing other languages spoken.

    Is it a problem that there are no servers for those languages you listed? Absolutely. That doesn't mean you make it somebody else's problem and then blame them when they feel you're creating a language barrier on a server they chose because of it's language.
    Look, if me and my 8 Finnish buddies want to start a raid and we need to pug one last guy from the trade, we want a guy who understands what we're saying. So we can either

    a) just spam in Finnish
    b) spam in English and tell people only Finnish speakers allowed

    What does it matter what we do? You aren't going to fucking pug with us even if we spam trade in English. And unless you're totally stupid you probably can figure out what most trade spams are looking for. If you see "<Stormin jonnet> 4/6 MSV 1/6 HoF etsii magea/ele shamaania, vaatimus ilvl 470!" you very likely instantly understand what that is about, don't you?

    Me, I think it's funny game figuring out what the spam in languages that I don't understand says, but of course YMMV.

  4. #64
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    Well, that's the whole point. There aren't any English-only servers. If you want one go ask Blizzard for one.

    Of course, the reason why there isn't an English-only server is that only a fraction of people are actually so anal that they care whether they occasionally see some other language in trade...

    Well if there's no server for their language, what do you expect them to do? There's more money in selling the game all over the world than in banning most of the world than satisfying the few English-speakers who get upset over seeing other languages spoken.
    While I can sympathise with the point of no X language servers it does not change the fact that it becomes a problem for others who rolled on a serve expecting the language they selected to be spoken on that server.

    The same thing applies irl. If a foreign family comes to X county because they are seeking a job then that's fine, but they they're expected to speak the language of the country however they are free to speak their own countries language when they are at home.

    It's the same principle for servers and guilds.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    Look, if me and my 8 Finnish buddies want to start a raid and we need to pug one last guy from the trade, we want a guy who understands what we're saying. So we can either

    a) just spam in Finnish
    b) spam in English and tell people only Finnish speakers allowed

    What does it matter what we do? You aren't going to fucking pug with us even if we spam trade in English. And unless you're totally stupid you probably can figure out what most trade spams are looking for. If you see "<Stormin jonnet> 4/6 MSV 1/6 HoF etsii magea/ele shamaania, vaatimus ilvl 470!" you very likely instantly understand what that is about, don't you?
    One of those example is done in English and abides by the language of the server while the other does not.
    Nothing you've said changes the fact you are speaking a foreign language on an English server.

    I do not know what is difficult to grasp here. You are on an English server and as such are expected to speak language when in General Chat or out in the world, what language you speak in your guild is up to you as your language is not causing a barrier on on what is supposed to be an English Speaking Server.

  5. #65
    Drak'Thul - EU is CZ/SK server from the mid-vanilla. I think when DT opened all comunities of CZ/SK players moved there forming 95% of population and the rest simply transfered off later. The "oficial language" of the realm is at no concern and i dont know anyone from DT who got suspended even for a few hours for speaking Czech (we have hundreths more suspends for botting/goldselling tho).

    Recently a few uninformed people transfered from other realm (blizz fault, feeding greatly(1/0,11) inbalanced server even more horde). I talked with some of them and surely they were confused that the whole realm is in different language and nobody speaks english (even if they can, nobody will speak english on DT).

    I think a few labels on the Realm selection screen would help. EU is 25 states speaking more than 25 languages, its unreal to have only 5 "oficial" languages and suspend for not speaking in them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    The same thing applies irl. If a foreign family comes to X county because they are seeking a job then that's fine, but they they're expected to speak the language of the country however they are free to speak their own countries language when they are at home.

    It's the same principle for servers and guilds.
    in real life it is all question of majority of population. There are countries that have more oficial languages (Canada,Belgium) just because a lot of population speaks the language. Even in WoW it should aply that way, you cant expect that whole server (like mentioned DT) will speak english just because tehre is a few people demanding it. Majority> Minority.
    Last edited by Dukenukem; 2012-12-10 at 05:51 PM.

  6. #66
    First thing I hear you cannot speak foreign language.
    Sure I agree frenchies should end up on french servers and there speak their language - since they have dedicated realms for that.
    A rule for enforcing those to their realms would be good tbh.
    So imho bottom line: If you have a language dedicated server (offical) GTFO there to speak your language. All others are free to speak w/e language is their mother tongue, but polite is to use english.
    Last edited by Rapti; 2012-12-10 at 05:48 PM.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    While I can sympathise with the point of no X language servers it does not change the fact that it becomes a problem for others
    The only problem is in your head.

    The same thing applies irl. If a foreign family comes to X county because they are seeking a job then that's fine, but they they're expected to speak the language of the country however they are free to speak their own countries language when they are at home.
    So, for example, you get upset if you see foreign tourists speaking Hungarian while they move around London checking the sights and going shopping? No one is hurting you, nothing is being taken away from you. You aren't part of that discussion anyway so you don't have to understand it.

    I know Hitler comparisons officially end and lock the thread but man, not even fucking Hitler would have had a problem with tourists speaking their native language to each other while watching a Nazi street parade.

    You are on an English server and as such are expected to speak language when in General Chat or out in the world,
    Well, apparently I'm not, since I happily speak Finnish every time I meet Finns in this game, regardless of whether it's trade chat, raid chat, party chat, battleground chat or whatever chat and I've been doing that for a very long time with no ban...

    Again, there aren't any English-only servers. If you want one, go ask Blizzard to make you one. Until then I'm going to speak whatever language I feel like speaking and there's nothing any anal whiner can do about it.

    what language you speak in your guild is up to you as your language is not causing a barrier on on what is supposed to be an English Speaking Server.
    If I'm speaking a language that you don't understand, then the discussion doesn't include you. You would not be included in the discussion even if we were speaking English. If you're obsessed with being able to eavesdrop on everything that goes on in the world, well, maybe it's you that has a problem, not the people that don't make the effort to let you understand a discussion that's none of your business to begin with.

  8. #68
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    The only problem is in your head.



    So, for example, you get upset if you see foreign tourists speaking Hungarian while they move around London checking the sights and going shopping? No one is hurting you, nothing is being taken away from you. You aren't part of that discussion anyway so you don't have to understand it.

    I know Hitler comparisons officially end and lock the thread but man, not even fucking Hitler would have had a problem with tourists speaking their native language to each other while watching a Nazi street parade.



    Well, apparently I'm not, since I happily speak Finnish every time I meet Finns in this game, regardless of whether it's trade chat, raid chat, party chat, battleground chat or whatever chat and I've been doing that for a very long time with no ban...

    Again, there aren't any English-only servers. If you want one, go ask Blizzard to make you one. Until then I'm going to speak whatever language I feel like speaking and there's nothing any anal whiner can do about it.



    If I'm speaking a language that you don't understand, then the discussion doesn't include you. You would not be included in the discussion even if we were speaking English. If you're obsessed with being able to eavesdrop on everything that goes on in the world, well, maybe it's you that has a problem, not the people that don't make the effort to let you understand a discussion that's none of your business to begin with.
    This is getting ridiculous.
    You're on an English Speaking Server, speak it. There really is nothing else to it.

    You're making a big deal out of something that's painfully obvious. Heck as Peggle pointed out on the second page the language description mentions what is implied by labelling a server by language, a description you claim to openly disregard. When the game's own description is telling us you're wrong you can tell you're just clutching at straws.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-12-10 at 06:16 PM.

  9. #69
    The Lightbringer shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,667
    I don't now but it sounds a bit weird.

    When Spain won the first World Cup or Europe thingie w/e it's all the same for me, a match before, when Spain toke out Germany we wen't into a german server to spam the trade a bit for some lolz, but the lolz was too see like over 1k lvl 1 humans, all called "Puyol", or "Puyolol" even "Puyogoal" all running to Stormwind. We actually toke 2 german servers down due to the incredible amount of spam we did in /2.

    None ever got banned. So I see no point on your friend's ban.

  10. #70
    Moderator Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    5,568
    I know it's harsh, but it actually is suspendable. You enter an english realm and therefor sign that you use public channels (/e, /y, /s, /random channel) these channels are for public use, if some find this annoying that someone is spamming/saying something in a different language in a public channel, you can report it.

    I know it's harsh, but some people don't like it. Paranoia can also create a feeling that a different language might hide something. Your friend might just have met a grumpy person. Or maybe your friend at one point clicked too many macros, making it appear as spam.

    But small line is, you sign on to the server fitting you and you have to adept to that.
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!

  11. #71
    From what I can see they're just wanting people who speak non-english languages in trade-chat and general-chat to use english in those channels. Since not only you use those channels but everyone on the server does. Any other channels, like whisper/say/yell/party/raid/etc , they don't care what language you use.


    Hell I don't mind it at all, but then again I can understand french/german/finnish/russian/spanish/cajun (Yes i've seen cajun in trade chat before) to a degree..

  12. #72
    There's a good solution to this problem. If you see a foreign language that you do not understand, but want to - learn the fucking (pardon my French) language. Problem solved.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    If someone speaks other than english in english realm I generally just "report language". Maybe they're talking shit about me with their shitty language, who knows, not me coz they're not speaking english in english speaking realm.
    You are one pathetic beign. Calling other language shitty? pathetic xenophobic kid. Report language is option to report bad language, swearing, on chat insults and stuff like that ( I bet you are one of those angry kids, when someone do recruit macro in their language)

  14. #74
    I've heard of people getting banned for saying the word "black" in French... yep...

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Are you sure he didn't say something rude in French?
    Either way it's not a rule to speak in a foreign language on an English Speaking server.

    However I do wish Blizzard policed this better and more rigorously. For those of us who are from the UK and only speak English we will go and join an English realm because that's what we expect to speak, so it's damn frustrating when we trade chat full of what are most of the time Scandinavians speaking some language only they understand that is not the official language of the server.
    Yup. It was a simple macro in /yell to summon his pet. He told me what it meant and I was picking up a few words from him for awhile until he quit.

    It was also on the Moonrunner server for the person who asked which server/

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    This is getting ridiculous.
    You're on an English Speaking Server, speak it.
    Nah, I'll speak whatever I want to wherever I want to.

    Blizzard can either tell me not to (in which case they don't get my money) or they can let me speak whatever I like (in which case they do get my money). If you want to not see foreign languages ever, go ahead and demand English-only servers. You are going to get that if and only if you can convince Blizzard that there's enough people who dislike foreign languages so much that they won't subscribe without strict English-only servers.

    That's not going to happen though because most people just don't have any problem with the servers the way they are. There are some servers where you pretty much never see any other language than English and then there are some servers that ended up being the unofficial Finnish/Dutch/Polish/whatever server with tons of trade chat in that language. This is just fine for the vast majority of players. No one will quit over officially English-only servers not existing but plenty of us would instantly quit if there was no server where we can speak our native language on public channels.

    You're making a big deal out of something that's painfully obvious.
    You're the one that gets upset when you see Hungarian anal spam and you don't understand it...

    Heck as Peggle pointed out on the second page the language description mentions what is implied by labelling a server by language, a description you claim to openly disregard. When the game's own description is telling us you're wrong you can tell you're just clutching at straws.
    So someone thinks there's something implied in a description. Whatever. Are there any English-only servers with actual stated and enforced rules against speaking other languages? No.

  17. #77
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    Nah, I'll speak whatever I want to wherever I want to.
    Now you're acting like a kid with that type of argument.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Now you're acting like a kid with that type of argument.
    And you stating 'You'll speak my language or you can go elsewhere' shows your maturity how?

  19. #79
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    And you stating 'You'll speak my language or you can go elsewhere' shows your maturity how?
    *The language the server is listed as.
    I don't know how telling somebody to speak English on an English Server is immature.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    *The language the server is listed as.
    I don't know how telling somebody to speak English on an English Server is immature.
    This may be hard for you to understand but not everyone speaks the same language that you do. Even if they happen to live in the same country/region and be on the same server as you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •