Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Which is why it's obviously not enforced. There's too many people to just hand out bans suspensions to.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 12:33 AM ----------

English Server = English language.

You're expected to speak it in public, do what you want in guild chat.
    I feel like this is just plain wrong. But hey, that's just me.

English Server = English language.

You're expected to speak it in public, do what you want in guild chat.
    What you expect really doesn't matter. Until Blizzard bans people for speaking their native tongue in public channels there is no rule against it. I understand your fear of people around you speaking in languages that you don't understand but there comes a point in life when you have to put your big boy pants on and realize that thankfully not everyone is exactly like you.
    Last edited by Xeraxis; 2012-12-11 at 01:40 AM.

I can say that I never got banned for using french, in trade chat, in general chat, or wherever,

Some US server ( Zul Jin (A) or Lethon (H) are populated with french canadiens and the conversation is almost all the time in french in the trade channel on those server.
    The worst thing that could happen is some people are gonna troll with racist remark, and nobody will ever get banned

Deleted
    This is getting ridiculous.
    You're on an English Speaking Server, speak it. There really is nothing else to it.

You're making a big deal out of something that's painfully obvious. Heck as Peggle pointed out on the second page the language description mentions what is implied by labelling a server by language, a description you claim to openly disregard. When the game's own description is telling us you're wrong you can tell you're just clutching at straws.

about my post, the text says "should use this language" but thats more of a guidline than a rule. there is still nothing in the ToS that requires players to speak that language. no where does it say its a bannable offense.
    i dont mind people speaking their own language in the channels, as long as they are not spamming. but that goes for any language.
    what i dont like is when im in a raid/dungeon with people speaking some weird language, and i see my name in the middle of their sentence!

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 02:08 AM ----------

to the OP, i think your friend would have to do more than just simply saying something in French, the only times ive heard of a speaking ban on WoW are when someone has been spamming like crazy, or offensive language. and i dont think blizzard have ever force transfered someone server.

Deleted
    I do feel that making talking in general channels in a language other than that server's region a bannable offense, and then not providing servers supporting that language pretty dumb. Most players do speak english to a reasonable level, but forcing them to speak it or not say anything at all doesn't seem right.

Spamming or swearing trade chat in other languages is still spamming and swearing of course, while it doesn't bother me at all because i don't read it anyway, should still be treated the same as the servers native language.

Most of the time they are using wow terms in their language anyway so it's still fairly understandable.

*The language the server is listed as.
    I don't know how telling somebody to speak English on an English Server is immature.
    Now you're just trolling. Whatever. I'm just gonna go log on Outland and announce "hei jätkät, toi yx scummer on ihan vitun peelo" on trade for fun and if some asswipe gets upset about that all the better.

Sure, that's no mature, but really there's a point where a kid is so whiny and negative about what others are doing that he actually deserves some bullying.

lol, that sounds tremendously fishy. I think your friend got trolled by people pretending to be GMs or so...

Speaking foreign languages is not forbidden, and can't result in suspensions nor forced server transfers; except maybe with RP realms, which have a whole ruleset just for them... but it isn't even enforced to that extent.

This is more a matter of netiquette than of terms of use. Using languages other than the "official" one, particularly in public channels, will often spring bad reactions and damage your reputation, same way as spamming or talking in caps does... but that's about it

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how telling somebody to speak English on an English Server is immature.
    Being rude was is and always will be immature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Say that to all the chinese spam on illidan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    I feel like this is just plain wrong. But hey, that's just me.
    I'm not saying there should be suspensions, but people should be unable to spam in chat in that language and be locked out temporarily accordingly.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 08:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Being rude was is and always will be immature.
    Yes, yes I'm the rude one.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    Now you're just trolling. Whatever. I'm just gonna go log on Outland and announce "hei jätkät, toi yx scummer on ihan vitun peelo" on trade for fun and if some asswipe gets upset about that all the better.

Sure, that's no mature, but really there's a point where a kid is so whiny and negative about what others are doing that he actually deserves some bullying.
    But why is it hard to understand is what I'm asking?
    People have chosen to go to a server because of the listed language is the one they want to speak and read, a foreign language is not something we want and i pretty much spam.

Please don't resort to name calling.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-12-11 at 08:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, yes I'm the rude one.
    Of course you are. You are telling people how to speak.

Imagine yourself in Germany with an English speaking friend of yours.
    You are both in the public and talking in English. On the German street, in the f-rench-ing Germany.
    And a German old-fart who was sitting on a bench nearby approaches you and goes: "Sprecht deutsch!". Like it's any of his business.

P.S. Stop using contractions - that is not proper English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course you are. You are telling people how to speak.
    Again telling a person that they should speak English on an English server isn't rude at all, it's common sense. I fail to see how it's rude.

Imagine yourself in Germany with an English speaking friend of yours.
    You are both in the public and talking in English. On the German street, in the f-rench-ing Germany.
    And a German old-fart who was sitting on a bench nearby approaches you and goes: "Sprecht deutsch!". Like it's any of his business.
    You can't apply that to this.
    Not when a conscious effort has been made to join an English Server, which if I'm not mistaken is the language you're expected to speak - otherwise what would be the point in calling it so?
    When you post in the WoW - General Discussion part of this forum what topics do you expect to see and enforced? It's the same principle, you've made a conscious decision to ignore the label of the board. Except unlike WoW these types of things are enforced on forums.

Applying a country to an online chat room in that sense is not the same.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-12-11 at 09:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again telling a person that they should speak English on an English server isn't rude at all. I fail to see how it's rude.
    I know that you fail. Doesn't change the fact that it's rude. Basically people can be rude for two reasons:
    1. Desire. They know they are.
    2. Ignorance. They are unaware that they are.

You can't apply that to this.
    Not when a conscious effort has been made to join an English Server, which if I'm not mistaken is the language you're expected to speak - otherwise what would be the point in calling it so?
    You are in Germany via a conscious effort. German is the language you are expected to speak on the streets of Germany.
    Applying a country to an online chat room is not the same.
    Situation is very much the same. You are sitting in the capital (on a bench) - reading general chat (listening to what other people say). You see foreign text (hear foreign speech) - you tell foreigners to speak English. You are being rude. You are basically saying that they should speak in such a way so that you can understand them - like it is any of your business what they are talking about. You are implying that your right to understand them is more important than their right to speak how the hell they want. You are being rude.

Deleted
    I found british most closed minded people in the world.
    Try to speak with your native language near them and they will say something like:
    -are you talking about me? (no dude, nobody gives a F about you)
    - my head hurts, stop using that faul language

like a fucking nazi germany.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    I found british most closed minded people in the world.
    Try to speak with your native language near them and they will say something like:
    -are you talking about me? (no dude, nobody gives a F about you)
    - my head hurts, stop using that faul language

like a fucking nazi germany.
    You often spam your language near other ppl who dont understand it to annoy them?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that you fail. Doesn't change the fact that it's rude. Basically people can be rude for two reasons:
    1. Desire. They know they are.
    2. Ignorance. They are unaware that they are.
    I still don't get it.
    When you play on English server do you not expect English to be spoken?

You are in Germany via a conscious effort. German is the language you are expected to speak on the streets of Germany.
    Except unlike a chat room Germans didn't make a conscious decision to join that country and speak that language. Both parties have to have made a decision for this to work.

Situation is very much the same. You are sitting in the capital (on a bench) - reading general chat (listening to what other people say). You see foreign text (hear foreign speech) - you tell foreigners to speak English. You are being rude. You are basically saying that they should speak in such a way so that you can understand them - like it is any of your business what they are talking about. You are implying that your right to understand them is more important than their right to speak how the hell they want. You are being rude.
    What language you and your friend have a private conversation with is up to you because it's not public like an online chat is.
    In relation to WoW it's more akin to whispering a friend with that language as you are not openly talking to hundreds of people.

In fact now that I think about it, you can't apply these type of irl analogies to an online chat room at all. For the same reasons listed above.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-12-11 at 10:04 AM.

Deleted
    I still don't get it.
    you still don't get there are no dutch/hungarian/turkish/polish etc servers and people need to play somewhere?
    man you are slow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    you still don't get there are no dutch/hungarian/turkish/polish etc servers and people need to play somewhere?
    man you are slow.
    So your problem is now my problem. You see the cycle?

I have no qualms with a person who doesn't has access to the server of their choosing language wise and winds up speaking on an English server because they don't know English but acknowledge that in the what they're doing is against the reason others chose that server, ofc we won't have these people on this forum because they do not speak English.

My problem lies in the fact we have people either don't see it as a problem at all and/or just choose to speak their native language anyway even when they can speak English.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-12-11 at 10:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't get it.
    Expecting != demanding.

Except unlike a chat room Germans did make a conscious decision to join that country and speak that language.
    I do not understand this sentence

What language you and your friend have a private conversation with is up to you because it's not public like an online chat is.
    In relation to WoW it's more akin to whispering a friend with that language as you are not openly talking to hundreds of people.
    BS. It's not a private talk between two friends. How do you imagine a private talk between 3+ people via whispers? How do you imagine people finding other same-language people via whispers? It is impossible. Should they form a raid? Just to talk? It's akin asking Tourists in Germany to go to a sonic-proof booth to talk privately so no-one would hear them talk foreign. It's absurd.
    In fact now that I think about it, you can't apply these type of irl analogies to an online chat room at all. For the same reasons listed above.
    Of course I can. The only reason you say I can't it's because it shows how absurd your demands are. In both cases we are talking about people. If you can't impose your language on people in one case - you can't in the other too.