Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    I still don't get it.
    When you play on English server do you not expect English to be spoken?
    Expecting != demanding.


    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Except unlike a chat room Germans did make a conscious decision to join that country and speak that language.
    I do not understand this sentence


    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    What language you and your friend have a private conversation with is up to you because it's not public like an online chat is.
    In relation to WoW it's more akin to whispering a friend with that language as you are not openly talking to hundreds of people.
    BS. It's not a private talk between two friends. How do you imagine a private talk between 3+ people via whispers? How do you imagine people finding other same-language people via whispers? It is impossible. Should they form a raid? Just to talk? It's akin asking Tourists in Germany to go to a sonic-proof booth to talk privately so no-one would hear them talk foreign. It's absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    In fact now that I think about it, you can't apply these type of irl analogies to an online chat room at all. For the same reasons listed above.
    Of course I can. The only reason you say I can't it's because it shows how absurd your demands are. In both cases we are talking about people. If you can't impose your language on people in one case - you can't in the other too.

  2. #102
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,202
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    I do not understand this sentence
    My bad, must have had a brain fart while writing, should've been *didn't

  3. #103
    I'd just like to apologize for anyone trying to have fun on this game that doesn't speak English.

  4. #104
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,202
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    BS. It's not a private talk between two friends. How do you imagine a private talk between 3+ people via whispers? How do you imagine people finding other same-language people via whispers? It is impossible. Should they form a raid? Just to talk? It's akin asking Tourists in Germany to go to a sonic-proof booth to talk privately so no-one would hear them talk foreign. It's absurd.
    Then create a guild of like minded individuals who want to speak that language

  5. #105
    Legendary! Ryme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a field, somewhere
    Posts
    6,668
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    you still don't get there are no dutch/hungarian/turkish/polish etc servers and people need to play somewhere?
    man you are slow.
    Yeah, on a sever they can communicate on? What's the issue here? Your main problem is now with Blizzard not implementing realms that suit you, until then, if you go on an English realm you can expect people will want you to speak English.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Then create a guild of like minded individuals who want to speak that language
    Not sure if serious. I parry it with: learn the language you do not understand and YOUR problem will be solved. No negatives. People can speak it in general with you present and you learn a new language. win-win.

  7. #107
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,202
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Of course I can. The only reason you say I can't it's because it shows how absurd your demands are. In both cases we are talking about people. If you can't impose your language on people in one case - you can't in the other too.
    Again applying the rules of some irl chat to an online chat room specifically labelled so that people can communicate in one language isn't the same.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 10:14 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Not sure if serious. I parry it with: learn the language you do not understand and YOUR problem will be solved. No negatives. People can speak it in general with you present and you learn a new language. win-win.
    Whoa whoa, the English person who speaks English who joined and English Server because it was labelled English so that he could speak with other people has to learn another language because somebody else can't speak the language of the server?

    Now who's forcing a language on somebody?
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-12-11 at 10:15 AM.

  8. #108
    This is absurd, and most likely not true. On my realm (US Illidan), we have a raid progression guild named Crystal Forever. They are ranked 81 world currently, directly under Blood Legion on my realm. Good luck joining them if you don't speak Chinese though: http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/...rystal+Forever. Their entire recruitment page is in Chinese. They speak Chinese. It's not illegal, theyve been around for a long time.
    Anger is one letter short of danger.

    <Angry> 13/13 Heroic

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Again applying the rules of some irl chat to an online chat room specifically labelled so that people can communicate in one language isn't the same.
    Countries are labelled by language too. When you see "Germany" you can be sure the official language for communication is German. But you expect Germans to speak English of course (in airport, taxi, hotel). You got it real easy.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 02:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Whoa whoa, the English person who speaks English who joined and English Server because it was labelled English so that he could speak with other people has to learn another language because somebody else can't speak the language of the server?

    Now who's forcing a language on somebody?
    No you got it wrong...

    A person (whatever the language he speaks) has to learn a new language if he wants to understand what strangers say in that language.
    You want it - you learn it.
    But no, you expect two swedes to speak English to each other. Purely for YOUR benefit at their EXPENSE.
    Rude!
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2012-12-11 at 10:23 AM.

  10. #110
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,202
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Countries are labelled by language too. When you see "Germany" you can be sure the official language for communication is German. But you expect Germans to speak English of course (in airport, taxi, hotel). You got it real easy.
    Again it's different because no conscious decision was made by those people to join that county because of the language, they were born into it they did not chose it. Nor was the country created to speak that language.

    Compared to a server which was created with a specific language in mind so that those people who spoke the language could get together and communicate in that language. They were not brought up to do so like in a country, they made a decision to create and join a server because of it's language.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Again it's different because no conscious decision was made by those people to join that county because of the language, they were born into it they did not chose it. Nor was the country created to speak that language.

    Compared to a server which was created with a specific language in mind so that those people who spoke the language could get together and communicate in that language.
    Are you implying you had hard time choosing on which server to play?
    English or Chinese, hmm, so hard to choose. Requires conscious effort!

  12. #112
    lol if that were true half of illidan-us (horde) would be language banned. sadly you can't even rightclick report since at some point it will dc you (missed quite a few queues because of that ...)
    I mean it would make sense - after all they enforce it on the forums - but they seem to care less and less about it; also look at the *ingame* random 5man/raidfinder/bg queues with brazilians so you have to know portuguese / spanish to communicate efficiently on north american servers.

  13. #113
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kingston upon thames
    Posts
    15,869
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    I found british most closed minded people in the world.
    Try to speak with your native language near them and they will say something like:
    -are you talking about me? (no dude, nobody gives a F about you)
    - my head hurts, stop using that faul language

    like a fucking nazi germany.

    way to go generalizing a whole country. most people really do not care what language you are speaking, as long as you are not trying to speak to them with it.
    Too cool for a signature

  14. #114
    Pit Lord aztr0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by stresskiller View Post
    not sure but it would make sence after all you can right click report language
    I hope you don't honestly think report language is for reporting people using foreign language...

  15. #115
    Pit Lord velde046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,415
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post

    If you're *totally* new to WoW and video gaming and have no one to talk to, the game recommends some empty servers for newcomers. Those servers are pretty much guaranteed to not have a dominant trade chat language apart from English since they are, you know, empty, while all the people of a particular nationality conspiring to roll on a particular server tend to populate it pretty well...
    When I entered I had no idea really how everything would turn out or was setup, (I accidentally rolled a RP server too). My guess is I'm not the only one who just dives in, besides that's not even the point. If I start a game I should be able to expect the game to guide me in the correct direction if any for such things, just like in an arcade game or such you have to choose on what difficulty you want to play.
    As long as there is no clear Dutch/Belgian/Romanian servers clearly stated you can't blame people for trying... Well you can of course but not like they should care then...

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 01:44 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Yeah, on a sever they can communicate on? What's the issue here? Your main problem is now with Blizzard not implementing realms that suit you, until then, if you go on an English realm you can expect people will want you to speak English.
    Yep so ban all the LOL's, the ROFLMAO's and the WTF? Then too for inappropriate and incorrect English?
    Seriously if you are really bothered by it, you should quit the game, pack up all your belingings and go line on th South Pole... the only thing bothering you there will be the weather.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 01:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Again it's different because no conscious decision was made by those people to join that county because of the language, they were born into it they did not chose it. Nor was the country created to speak that language.

    Compared to a server which was created with a specific language in mind so that those people who spoke the language could get together and communicate in that language. They were not brought up to do so like in a country, they made a decision to create and join a server because of it's language.
    Well tbh you're missing his point. So let's say you visited Germany.... would you speak German? Nah you'd expect them to understand English and such probably. Then again, if the german would visit the UK you'd expect them to speak English wouldn't you?
    See how weird that is?
    Besides if those Germans would visit England as a group and started talking german on the street amongst themselves, you''d want them to speak English just because it bothers you someone speak a different language. So you'd not want them to speak their native tongue in public places even if it does not concern you...
    Talk about double standards.
    Last edited by velde046; 2012-12-11 at 12:51 PM.

  16. #116
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    640
    Not sure what to really say about this. Will I get banned for speaking English on a French realm?

  17. #117
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,202
    Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    Well tbh you're missing his point. So let's say you visited Germany.... would you speak German? Nah you'd expect them to understand English and such probably. Then again, if the german would visit the UK you'd expect them to speak English wouldn't you?
    See how weird that is?
    Besides if those Germans would visit England as a group and started talking german on the street amongst themselves, you''d want them to speak English just because it bothers you someone speak a different language. So you'd not want them to speak their native tongue in public places even if it does not concern you...
    Talk about double standards.
    No you've missed the point as to why I said examples of visiting countries doesn't work (I take back my earlier analogy).

    A server is specifically created and labelled with X language so that those who wish to speak and be spoken to can choose that server so that they can do so.
    A country is not like that at all as it is not a place created for conversation nor is a place labelled with a language so that those that wish to speak it can go there.

    I can see where you would see similarities, but the fact is a Server/Public Chat Room is nothing like a country in the way it's use of language is handled as a country has not been created for the use of conversation.

  18. #118
    The specified language of a realm has never been an indicator of what language you must speak. By saying a realm is English Speaking, means that all support will be given in English and only English. The only area that you must speak the specified language is on the forums.

    So essentially, unless your French friend was swearing in french, he is full of Bull.
    WoW PvP; Where DPS are healers, tanks are DPS, and healers are tanks!

    RETH RETH RETH!

  19. #119
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    15,353
    Okay... here's the thing... It's some cultural influence too I believe.
    I know for a fact, that when you are within a social surrounding of a group of people, in the USA it is considered impolite, one can call it rude, to speak in another language with someone else, while you are part of a broad group communication. That's of course only valid when everyone knows for sure, that you are perfectly capable to have this side conversation in English as well.
    Like there are some 10 ppl in vent, and ALL communicate in English just fine, and then 2 of them decide to exchange some sentences in another language, that's impolite.
    You have no reason whatsoever to resort to that language. It associates with you talking about something no one else should understand now.
    If that's your intention, then take it to a private communication, be it whispering, IM on a messenger or what ever..
    But don't do it in front of everyone else, that's impolite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •