Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Where do you sit when you grab a taxi

Just saw a tv commercial and a guy jumps into a taxi and he jumps into the front seat, and the taxi driver points too the back and the guy ignores him.

When you get a taxi do you sit up front with the driver or the back, where i came from, its usually up the front, if there is a group of people 1 will sit up front and others in back, unless its a minivan if more people.

Im in New Zealand just wondering if its different everywhere else
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely fill up the back seat before going into the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

Here in Russia it's front seat first. It's somehow more polite here to seat near driver and have a conversation. It's also more safer for driver because who knows what are you doing behind his back.

But it's not always like that, some people like to sit silently on backseat and surfing the net etc. So i'd say it's the same in every country.
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2012-12-10 at 10:55 AM.

Deleted
    It's definitely a cultural thing. Here in the UK most people would sit in the back, although I've observed a lot of pensioners tending to sit in the front seat. Probably due to the differences in beliefs with the two age groups.

Could also be because sitting in the back can be seen as a status thing. I mean how many CEO's of big companies, when they're being chauffeured around sit in the front seat? They don't because the driver is "beneath" them. I think the same probably applies here, you're being provided a service so you're going to sit in the back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i like to talk too the driver, only time i take a taxi is when i go out drinking, i dont think taxi driver likes a drunk in the front sit eating a hamburger and half of it falls out and all over his seat lol
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    on the drivers lap ofc... where else would i sit?

or the trunk i suppose...
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the nationality of the driver here in Norway. If its a norwegian taxi driver its fairly common to sit in the frontseat, while if its a foreign driver (depending on nationality) in most cases they ask me to sit in the back even though it feels "natural" to take the front seat.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

10+ Year Old Account
    As a fellow Kiwi, currently living in Australia, always the front. Unless we're in a group then it's 1 in the front and the rest in the back. Believe it's the same in the UK.

I think it's more of an Americana thing and possibly Canadian to sit in the back only.

Deleted
    Fill up the back first, then the front.

Front seat if i feel chatty ( normaly do ) back seat if im tired and want peace ....working most of the times tho seom taxi drivers realy just chat on .....
    never been asked to move in a taxi.

In the United States its typically in the back, and in large cities there is usually a barrier between the front and back areas.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
    In the United States its typically in the back, and in large cities there is usually a barrier between the front and back areas.
    Yes, I think the barrier is the important thing, if there is one you should definitely sit in the back
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    The front seat because it's more comfortable. Never had any taxi driver send me back. However I very rarely use a cab since the train/bus/tram gets you anywhere.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Back seat if I'm with a group, solo I'll sit up front. Not normally a social person but I think it's fairly rude to sit in the back if you're alone.

Had a situation where me and a friend were sharing a cab after a night out, we both sat in the back and conversed as normal, her house was a lot closer and after she was dropped off I climbed in the front.

Deleted
    If alone, I climb in front seat. If more then 1 or with luggage, backseat.

I feel like I'm somehow invading the driver's space if I sit in the front, so I usually take the back. Then I don't feel like I have to chat if I don't want to.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
    Only time I've ever seen one of those in real life is in police cars. Not that I've ever been in a police car but I've seen them
    Only other time I've seen barriers in a car is in American TV shows

Never been in a taxi in my life. Not many of 'em driving around the woods of Wisconsin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    I feel like I'm somehow invading the driver's space if I sit in the front, so I usually take the back. Then I don't feel like I have to chat if I don't want to.
    It's the complete opposite to me. I'd feel very rude not sitting in the front seat unless I'm with a group of people.