View Poll Results: Would you keep going?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • It wouldn't cause me to quit.

    53 45.69%
  • It would probably cause me to quit.

    22 18.97%
  • I don't know or care.

    41 35.34%
Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Would you quit WoW if...?

    A close friend of mine and I have been having lengthy discussions over the artificial walls Blizzard has enabled to delay progression. He believes (and I think this is Blizzards stance as well) that if Valor/Conquest Caps, Raid/Heroic locks, and whatever else were either removed or severely lessened, people would rush through content and cancel subscriptions until a later date.

    I don't believe that to be the case, but it's my opinion after all. I'm curious how others feel. In my assessment, if I were able to "grind" out gear a bit more freely, I would personally feel encouraged to keep playing to gear my characters one by one. Under the WoW model, I generally level characters, poke about, and then cancel my subscription because I don't feel like doing the only grind they offer.

    So for those of you out there, would it cause you to cancel and wait or would a more free reign to get it how you want or as fast as you want actually keep you engaged?
    Last edited by hakujinbakasama; 2012-12-09 at 03:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Well that really depends. Me personally I've never quit because I was bored or rushed. I've had to quit in the past for computer problems. Having those removed would shorten the length of gameplay in game.

  3. #3
    Epic! Tokru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The end of the rainbow
    Posts
    1,740
    I liked the undelayed progression in classic and bc more (especially when it comes to reputation) where you had to grind a lot but could do it when you wanted. Therefor I voted "It wouldn't cause me to quit".

  4. #4
    I read it "if caps lock were removed people would rush through content".

    Ingenious idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    I liked the undelayed progression in classic and bc more (especially when it comes to reputation) where you had to grind a lot but could do it when you wanted. Therefor I voted "It wouldn't cause me to quit".
    I look at it as if there should be a middle ground between "grinding" and dailies (for example) and the option should be up to the player. A lot of the TBC factions were like this too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    I read it "if caps lock were removed people would rush through content".

    Ingenious idea.
    I will change the wording because I see your point lol...

  6. #6
    Moderator Rivelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fallen from Heaven
    Posts
    4,696
    I personally agree with your friend.

    Dragon Soul was a prime example. The raid went on for far too long with no new content, people had everything accessible to their main and however many alts they had, probably had all of them geared well, and had nothing to do.

    If they planned to push content faster than they did in Dragon Soul, sure, they could probably cut the complaining some if they removed or lessened some of the caps/locks but if they had that same model? No way. Many people would quit.

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord namelessone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    4,205
    No, I don't like removing caps, because people tend to have unreasonable expectations about the speed at which Blizzard can create new content. Blizzard lose most subs during the long end-of-expansion periods when people have nothing to do, rather than when there is too much to do.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

  8. #8
    the only way i would quit wow is if they fucked up again as much as they did in tbc
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    3,544
    I never had a problem with their artifical gating - seemed fair enough to only allow a certain amount of valor for the week or to do the raids for drops once.
    I quit because of the shared lock outs Gave cata a try but hated the 10/25 man shared lock outs - even a bad raid is better if I can do 10 and 25 man, but they cut half of the content that mattered to me so I left.

  10. #10
    Pit Lord MrHappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,498
    would not cause to quit because there is other thigns to do...but the caps/lockouts are needed...imo ppl would get burned out, yes it would open up doing HoF every day till you get your BiS...but i mean there is a different level of satisfaction when you finally get that peice after weeks vs...say in 3 days on your 6th run. Would i quit? prolly not i enjoy the game ...would i get bored faster? maybe because 80% of the reason i play is to raid. so if i get what i want from raiding...i would have no insentive doing so again. in DS i only needed 2-3 more upgrades on my gear from heroic. If i was asked do i wanna run ds 1st question i asked "H?" and when they say no i declined to go, and because cata had no pet battles the only thing i did was rep grind in BC for nether drakes or work on an alt for a bit and log off.

    IMO gates are needed to save us from ourselves
    www.cherishyourit.ca MCTS - Win 7, MCTS - AD, A+, Security+

  11. #11
    i think the badge system was a lot better than valor, there are a certain amount of badges you can earn in a week, if you can get them all, good for you, if you cant, try harder.
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    i think the badge system was a lot better than valor, there are a certain amount of badges you can earn in a week, if you can get them all, good for you, if you cant, try harder.
    Ya know I always forget about the old badge system. Now thinking about it, I did personally enjoy that a hell of a lot more.

  13. #13
    I think, time wise, that most people probably don't cap out 1,000 VP the first day of every week. So if they removed the cap on that, the number of people who would get, say, 9,000 VP in one week and buy all of the optional VP gear before hitting raids the first week of an expansion is as infinitesimally small compared to the overall population as the Top 3 guilds in the world who can down that content without that gear the first two weeks (not counting the gating) like MSV(and you know they'd also probably be most of those people anyway due to their dedication).
    It would probably encourage a lot of people to spend an unhealthy amount of time grinding. Give or take, burn out on grinding would not necessarily lead to people unsubscribing because the first logical step is usually to tone it down, though.

    For lockouts, disregarding the fact that most people don't even fully clear the tier on normal mode yet (~4,500 guilds of ~33,000 for normal mode?), I think at this time there's no question that it'd probably either have no impact on whether or not they wanted to do heroic and normal each week, 10 and 25 is up for debate. Some people would love it, especially goin by these forums. Others would burn out because they don't even think before they waste 6 hours on normal modes they can't even do.

    Either way, I really don't think it'd change much because people love having options. If they got tired they'd just do less for the most part, and only a few would quit.
    Last edited by Shibboleths; 2012-12-09 at 05:35 PM.

  14. #14
    Pandaren Monk Auloria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,941
    Caps also ensure that we don't have to play 24/7 to be competitive.

  15. #15
    Removing weekly valor cap would make people play slower. If you didn't have to worry about capping your valor each week, you would just relax and play at your own pace.
    Last edited by Dilbon; 2012-12-10 at 05:05 AM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    A close friend of mine and I have been having lengthy discussions over the artificial walls Blizzard has enabled to delay progression. He believes (and I think this is Blizzards stance as well) that if Valor/Conquest Caps, Raid/Heroic locks, and whatever else were either removed or severely lessened, people would rush through content and cancel subscriptions until a later date.

    I don't believe that to be the case, but it's my opinion after all. I'm curious how others feel.
    You may not believe it, but your belief in this not being the case would have to be based on disregarding the entire existence of problems like this springing up in Cataclysm, and even in wrath to an extent.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 06:23 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Removing weekly valor cap would make people play slower. If you didn't have to worry about capping your valor each week, you would just relax and play at your own pace.
    How do you figure? they race to cap when they cannot buy anything for a minimum of 2 weeks worth of valors but they rush anyways. No cap means they'd grind out 289427834723 heroics immediately, get every valor piece for main and offspecs, and then complain about nothing to do and cancel their sub. If I need 1250 valors for an item, Im not gona bother capping the first week when I'll still not be able to get it til next week. That's a rational assessment...

  17. #17
    Immortal Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7,219
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    A close friend of mine and I have been having lengthy discussions over the artificial walls Blizzard has enabled to delay progression. He believes (and I think this is Blizzards stance as well) that if Valor/Conquest Caps, Raid/Heroic locks, and whatever else were either removed or severely lessened, people would rush through content and cancel subscriptions until a later date.

    I don't believe that to be the case, but it's my opinion after all. I'm curious how others feel. In my assessment, if I were able to "grind" out gear a bit more freely, I would personally feel encouraged to keep playing to gear my characters one by one. Under the WoW model, I generally level characters, poke about, and then cancel my subscription because I don't feel like doing the only grind they offer.

    So for those of you out there, would it cause you to cancel and wait or would a more free reign to get it how you want or as fast as you want actually keep you engaged?
    That's basically why those caps are there.

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer Seezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Capua
    Posts
    3,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the only way i would quit wow is if they fucked up again as much as they did in tbc
    Yeah, BC wasn't a stunning success.

    But back on topic, the only walls are the percieved walls by people who want everything now. You'll hear the word "grind", but if blizz said "Hey! You could get this super awesome mount of awesomeness just by running dungeons nonstop" those "grind" ppl would be marathon poopsockin it.
    Last edited by Seezer; 2012-12-10 at 07:34 AM.

  19. #19
    I neither raid nor pvp, so... Don't really care.

  20. #20
    I'd pretty much only quit if all my friends quit playing. I've got a group of people I've been playing with since back in BC, and it doesn't really matter what content is out, as long as we can find some way to have fun together - alt leveling/runs, arenas, world pvp, etc. doesn't really matter.

    The way it's set up now pretty much sucks though - we've all always enjoyed playing and gearing out multiple alts during each cycle of content, but it's a huge time sink for each individual character as it is.
    Profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother%$#@er.
    -
    Jamboro: 90 Priest, Jammbo: 90 Mage, Jambbo: 90 DK, Jammo: 90 Monk, Jamlol: 90 Shaman, etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •