Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Should I gear for disc or holy when using both specs?

    As I asked in the title, should I gear for the haste-breakpoints or just go full mastery when I'm planning on going both disc and holy for our 10man raid (together with a holy paladin and a resto shammy which is only resto for fights that require 3 healers)?
    Which of the specs benefit the most of the other specs statweights?
    Congratz Jesus the Solar Messiah, Ynf Ynf!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...steve/advanced

  2. #2
    Epic! chaosjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Old Tristam
    Posts
    1,577
    Well if no other people on the team can use spirit cloth gear I would say get a piece of gear for both spec. If not i would gear for the spec you use the most.

    Active Wow Player | Active D3 Player | Active Eve Player | Active Wot Player | Scrub Openraid Raid Leader| Eve Gametime | Youtube / Twitter

  3. #3
    Well, since your not tankhealing much (pala/shaman healer), i would guess mastery works on both specs. if youd like to reach the haste breakpoint for holy, its not gonna hurt you disc healing 2 much, but sacrifice crit for it, since you should be raidhealing anyways!

  4. #4
    Dreadlord Outofmana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    876
    Holy doesn't need haste, it's a terrible myth. Go full Mastery.

  5. #5
    Go for the haste breakpoint at 3039 and go for mastery>crit after IMO

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Holy doesn't need haste, it's a terrible myth. Go full Mastery.
    This. The only spells that a Holy Priest should be casting on a regular basis that will benefit (aside from strict throughput) from haste are Light Well and, maybe, a few renews. Holy Word Sanctuary is basically useless. Renew isn't a terrible spell, great for movement, of course, but it simply doesn't pack the oomph that your other spells do. You should be using (provided healing is needed) Circle of Healing, Cascade/Halo/Divine Star (switch talent for each fight as needed), Prayer of Mending, and, if in Serenity for some reason, Holy Word: Serenity on cooldown. You should fill the rest of your time with Prayer of Healing and, maybe, a few greater heals if necessary (doubtful with the pally there).

    Everything else is just for emergency/lots of movement healing. (Obviously, you should still use your big CDS whenever necessary as well).

    In a word, everything benefits from Mastery but not everything benefits from haste. Spirit and Mastery for the win in every reforge/gem.

  7. #7
    Going for haste breakpoint for a single spell is worthless.


    Go mastery for both

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust45 View Post
    This. The only spells that a Holy Priest should be casting on a regular basis that will benefit (aside from strict throughput) from haste are Light Well and, maybe, a few renews. Holy Word Sanctuary is basically useless. Renew isn't a terrible spell, great for movement, of course, but it simply doesn't pack the oomph that your other spells do. You should be using (provided healing is needed) Circle of Healing, Cascade/Halo/Divine Star (switch talent for each fight as needed), Prayer of Mending, and, if in Serenity for some reason, Holy Word: Serenity on cooldown. You should fill the rest of your time with Prayer of Healing and, maybe, a few greater heals if necessary (doubtful with the pally there).

    Everything else is just for emergency/lots of movement healing. (Obviously, you should still use your big CDS whenever necessary as well).

    In a word, everything benefits from Mastery but not everything benefits from haste. Spirit and Mastery for the win in every reforge/gem.
    Thanks, this was the kind of answer I was hoping to get
    Congratz Jesus the Solar Messiah, Ynf Ynf!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...steve/advanced

  9. #9
    Both specs prioritize spirit and mastery. Holy requires a lot more spirit than disc due to regen issues.

  10. #10
    Sorry, but the priests in here saying dont go for the haste breakpoints (4721 non goblin) as holy are...lacking.

    I am disc and holy in our raid, and I WILL go out of my way to reforge before a fight for my holy breakpoints. Especially on 10m, and especially on Heroic Garalon.

  11. #11
    Just because you do so, does not mean that it suits every raid comp and every player. Calling others lacking is a recipe for conflict, especially when it is factually incorrect.
    I play both Holy and Disc, roughly 50/50 and stack mastery and totally ignore haste. It works just fine, though does require a modified playstyle.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Pf0llz0r View Post
    Thanks, this was the kind of answer I was hoping to get
    You're welcome!!!

  13. #13
    Getting added ticks of Sanctuary, renew, & lightspring/lightwell should suit EVERY comp and player. You shouldnt be giving poor advice. It helps no one.

  14. #14
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayita View Post
    Getting added ticks of Sanctuary, renew, & lightspring/lightwell should suit EVERY comp and player. You shouldnt be giving poor advice. It helps no one.
    Except Sanctuary is crap, renew is situational, and lightwell/spring is a rather small portion of your healing. Mastery improves the hps/hpm of all your other spells.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayita View Post
    Getting added ticks of Sanctuary, renew, & lightspring/lightwell should suit EVERY comp and player. You shouldnt be giving poor advice. It helps no one.
    You seem unable to appreciate others point of view, and the fact the people other than yourself use a different strategy which yields results comparable or better.
    Instead of being so firm in your stance in this, perhaps you might do well to experiment a bit?

    Having checked your logs, I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it (this tier), if it works for you great, but don't go out of your way to say that your way is the only way. The way you heal Garalon, is something I would never choose to do, I don't like it just peeking at the overview. CoH underused, PoH (and DI Prom as a result) underused, you sit in inner will to support the playstyle and lose 10% SP. You also use Holy Word: Serenity every 17 seconds ish on average, given how many instants you cast this should be way closer to the 10 second CD. You seem to not use any renew refresh heals except the holy word and cascade.

    I really wonder how your healing partner feels about this, since in my opinion, you are getting carried. You wouldn't make it in to my healing team.

    I wish you the best of luck on some of the substantially harder fights that await you.

  16. #16
    Haste works well for Holy.
    Mastery works well for Disc and Holy.

    If you want gear that works for both specs, stack mastery.
    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rectitude View Post
    You seem unable to appreciate others point of view, and the fact the people other than yourself use a different strategy which yields results comparable or better.
    Instead of being so firm in your stance in this, perhaps you might do well to experiment a bit?

    Having checked your logs, I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it (this tier), if it works for you great, but don't go out of your way to say that your way is the only way. The way you heal Garalon, is something I would never choose to do, I don't like it just peeking at the overview. CoH underused, PoH (and DI Prom as a result) underused, you sit in inner will to support the playstyle and lose 10% SP. You also use Holy Word: Serenity every 17 seconds ish on average, given how many instants you cast this should be way closer to the 10 second CD. You seem to not use any renew refresh heals except the holy word and cascade.

    I really wonder how your healing partner feels about this, since in my opinion, you are getting carried. You wouldn't make it in to my healing team.

    I wish you the best of luck on some of the substantially harder fights that await you.
    Deleted bc you are so not worth it. And forum arguing is beneath me. To OP, triage healing is something I got from many other players and has worked well for me. If you are so inclined to try it feel free. I find the haste breakpoints work well for me as holy and personally find them to be important. Best of luck in whatever path you choose.
    Last edited by Irielle; 2012-12-12 at 03:49 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayita View Post
    Deleted bc you are so not worth it. And forum arguing is beneath me. To OP, triage healing is something I got from many other players and has worked well for me. If you are so inclined to try it feel free. I find the haste breakpoints work well for me as holy and personally find them to be important. Best of luck in whatever path you choose.
    Look like we have an elitest attitude in thus foramz.


    It has been said a hundred times on these forums.

    Mastery increased HPM and...

    haste has a very good breakpoint for certain spells. Renew, Sanc, Lightwell/spring as well as having a faster reaction time to whatever happens.


    With that said, both are good in their own aspects, which can be very different.


    Obviously, a fight like garalon with a CONSTANT tick of aoe damage and additional AOE damage on top of all this, mastery will shine because it evens out the raid damage quite a bit between each cast.


    A fight like bladelord, where people are fairly spread out, and in the second phase where it's mobile you will probably do better with renew glyph + haste for the additional tick.


    So long story short on MOST fights.. not all:

    Haste: Better for mobile fights where damage is fairly random and you are mobile a lot of the fight, as well as faster ticks on raid cooldowns like lightwell and lightspring.

    Mastery: Better for fights with a lot of consistant aoe damage and raid wide damage. IE Garalon/Empress/windlord




    Personally, I prefer mastery just because of my playstyle. Yes I use renew on certain parts of fights, for example blade lord when someone has the charge debuff to help the other healers, I try to sit renews on those targets and PoM them on cooldown while I do raid healing/tank healing.

    I think mastery you get more bang for your buck, because it affects ALL spells on the same level and haste with affect some better then others, which are mostly HoTs.



    Either works however, but to Ayita.. If you play haste fair enough, but it's not like it is 200x better then mastery. THey are very even in terms of numbers, but yes they can be better on SPECIFIC FIGHTS... not all.

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

  19. #19
    Sorry if I'm hesitant to lend an ear to someone who has not completed normals. If that makes me elitist then so be it.

  20. #20
    For someone who has never even attempted Garalon heroic to be indicating what would be best for that fight is laughable. Renew is amazing on that fight, and if you look at the mechanics and think really, really hard, you could even figure out why. The haste breakpoint is completely worth going for as holy consistently because haste is almost equal with mastery for holy when spam casting PoH and is better for Renew and Lightwell up to the breakpoints. Just regem and reforge when you swap for progression bosses and don't bother for farm because, well, it's farm. Simple. Gems don't even cost that much now. It's not like Ayita is suggesting turning down a piece of gear because it's mastery/spirit. Just reforge it for holy, don't for disc. That's all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •