Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #101
    Mechagnome Mr. Casual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bronx ,NY
    Posts
    568
    i just find it funny how OP knows the prices of the gems and enchants on every realms AH. 1-5 gold? really? not where i play and the gems that do cost that much are from bc and those arent helping anybody. If yo think BC gems are going to help you against a fully purple geared player you're losing it man. Might as well save your money until you can get decent gems in gear.

    people talk of all this money to be made from lvling and dailies and dont bother to mention how easy it is to spend it and go broke on things like lvling a crafting profession without the right gathering prof to supply it or spending the money of gems and enchants for pve
    Last edited by Mr. Casual; 2012-12-11 at 02:18 PM.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    So you're saying that about 3600 PvP power got nothing to say? Because thats what you get from gemming full PvP power in all your slots. Hell, be BS and gain 4320 PvP power. Thats almost the same as an extra weapon.

    Now say again: Gems got nothing to say

    So if you are the flag carrier and have 5 dps hitting you, you will survive with that extra 3600 pvp power?

  3. #103
    Scarab Lord Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    4,992
    Honestly, I have no clue how people dont have the best enchants and gems on every piece of gear pretty much as soon as they levelcap. I realize, in the past, it was fairly expensive - especially if you were a non-team player and were running around the world solo. But with the amount of Gold players are getting these days, a few hundred on a gem isn't asking too much. Hell, a few thousand on a meta isn't asking too much.


    It's a courtesy thing really, when you get the gear you ask yourself if it is going to help you out to just plop it on, or would it be better if you reforged, enchanted and gemmed it first?
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    It's a courtesy thing really, when you get the gear you ask yourself if it is going to help you out to just plop it on, or would it be better if you reforged, enchanted and gemmed it first?
    Apparently you don't do random BG's much because people are anything but courteous in chat. Maybe when people can stop botting or talk in chat like adults instead of throwing tantrums I'd take the time gem and enchant my random pieces of pvp gear, but until that happens I won't bother.

  5. #105
    Scarab Lord Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    4,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    Apparently you don't do random BG's much because people are anything but courteous in chat. Maybe when people can stop botting or talk in chat like adults instead of throwing tantrums I'd take the time gem and enchant my random pieces of pvp gear, but until that happens I won't bother.
    I am referring to a social courtesy to yourself, not others. "I worked to get this piece of gear, am I happy with that or will I do everything I can to make sure it helps me out as much as is possible.".
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  6. #106
    Every so often, I find myself doing battlegrounds in mediocre gear and I do feel somewhat liable; however, that does not mean that I'm going to suddenly do something I hate in order to do PvP. Why bother spending thousands of gold on the iL 450 PvP set when I can save my money for gems and enchants for Dreadful/Malevolent? I try to be useful in battlegrounds even when I have awful gear though, I end up spending 90% of my time trying to hassle healers or the enemy team's biggest damage dealers.

    I had to get geared somehow while still being pretty poor. I really don't like the idea of spending hours to get sub-par PvP gear when I could spend the same amount of time in BGs and get better pieces. I'm not trying to hassle you, but I'm doing entry level PvP for entry level gear.

    Sometimes I get to the point where I feel your sentiments (in season 11 I had 5 characters in Cataclysmic gear, I would usually be pretty disdained by people in BGs in greens.) Some people need to get gear and some people don't want to spend hours accumulating gold in order to get sub-par PvP gear that they are going to replace in a few hours anyway. Once I do get a piece I need I do immediately gem and enchant it (provided I can afford some kind of available enchant) so that I'm a little more effective.

    I will always advocate for people in trashy gear queuing for battlegrounds because it happens to both factions and these people are working on getting geared. Usually I spend a week or two in a weak state during a season, but after that I find myself competitive because in a week or two of casual battlegrounds I'm generally almost done getting gear.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Casual View Post
    i just find it funny how OP knows the prices of the gems and enchants on every realms AH. 1-5 gold? really? not where i play and the gems that do cost that much are from bc and those arent helping anybody. If yo think BC gems are going to help you against a fully purple geared player you're losing it man. Might as well save your money until you can get decent gems in gear.

    people talk of all this money to be made from lvling and dailies and dont bother to mention how easy it is to spend it and go broke on things like lvling a crafting profession without the right gathering prof to supply it or spending the money of gems and enchants for pve
    It IS easy to make tons of money in no time at all. Money literarely get's thrown at you all the damn time. And if you level a profession through the auction house because you possibly couldn't be bothered to level it while you were leveling said toon or to actually get the profession you need to get the materials it's just more proof that I'm right and you're lazy.

    As for gems. The green gems get thrown at you simply because you get tons of them when trying to craft perfect ones because it's about the only thing you can do with all of those while trying to get blue ones out of the ore. Even on the Alliance side of my server they're dirt cheap.

    If they're so expensive and absolutely unobtainable how about making a few screen shots and actually showing us just how expensive they truly are?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    So if you are the flag carrier and have 5 dps hitting you, you will survive with that extra 3600 pvp power?
    If you don't bother to actually enchant or gem your gear, how about not being flag carrier in the first place? And yes the difference of about 3600 resilence in case of an flag carrier IS noticeable. Especially since when 5 dps are hitting you there usually are several people supporting/healing you aswell.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    If you don't bother to actually enchant or gem your gear, how about not being flag carrier in the first place? And yes the difference of about 3600 resilence in case of an flag carrier IS noticeable. Especially since when 5 dps are hitting you there usually are several people supporting/healing you aswell.
    It actually isn't noticeable at all. 5 dps hitting me with no healers = dead. 5 dps hitting me with a couple healers = alive. That is regardless of gems or enchants. It has been that way since the beginning. I've hardly ever bothered to gem and enchant pvp gear and I've been top heals or top dps or top flag returns many times. Hell, I've even done that with no pvp gear at all. You guys like to make much ado about nothing with probably no experience behind your statements.

  9. #109
    People that say "you dont need enchants / gems" are not very cleaver...

    If you do heroics/lfr/raids or bgs/rbgs/arena you should atleast gem/enchants with cheap things. Green gems, or blue gems with secondary stats etc,
    And arguing with "only 3.6k stats etc"... well think if all in a bg slacks, says 15person. Thats 15*3.6k stats wasting VS other team with gems.. THats makes a hugh diffrent

    As say lfr, if you have 25ppl with cheap gems/chants they gain ALOT dps/surv instead of not gemming.

    If you say its okey that 1 person is lacking gems, then its okay for whole grp to do so -.-
    EVERYONE! should put in some effort when they are going to group up with others. Not saying it should be full gems/enchant with the best. But atleast some sort of gems etc. And if you are missing gems/chants in 1-2 items its not the whole word either. But NO gems/chants is just retarded when you are goign to group @ max lvl

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    I didn't know enchants and gems are necessary to down bosses... unless you are in top-10 in the region guild - they are not.
    They aren't necessary even then, but why would you NOT use them?

  11. #111
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    It actually isn't noticeable at all. 5 dps hitting me with no healers = dead. 5 dps hitting me with a couple healers = alive. That is regardless of gems or enchants. It has been that way since the beginning. I've hardly ever bothered to gem and enchant pvp gear and I've been top heals or top dps or top flag returns many times. Hell, I've even done that with no pvp gear at all. You guys like to make much ado about nothing with probably no experience behind your statements.
    With that logic you wont need to upgrade your gear before next expansion.

    Full Warrior dreadful vs malevolent set (Without off pieces) compared:
    http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items...56:84876:84922
    Thats a tiny upgrade of 175 pvp resi... Lol! No need right!

  12. #112
    Mechagnome Tacotruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pattaya, Thailand
    Posts
    527
    I hate it when I am on a freshly leveled guy and have terrible PvP gear. I feel like I am dragging my team down but I have no other option to get better gear.

    I at least do my best to have enchants and gems in stuff even if I know I am going to be replacing it soon, and I try to do the things others don't really want to do in a game like watch nodes that don't have a lot of action. I at least can survive a little while and call out for help.

    It is the people who have a bad attitude towards playing as a team who really bug me, geared or not, and more often than not having badly gemmed and enchanted gear is a sign of a bad attitude. They just don't care about contributing or their effect on their teammates.
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun...
    And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.
    And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body, Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

  13. #113
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacotruck View Post
    I hate it when I am on a freshly leveled guy and have terrible PvP gear. I feel like I am dragging my team down but I have no other option to get better gear.

    I at least do my best to have enchants and gems in stuff even if I know I am going to be replacing it soon, and I try to do the things others don't really want to do in a game like watch nodes that don't have a lot of action. I at least can survive a little while and call out for help.

    It is the people who have a bad attitude towards playing as a team who really bug me, geared or not, and more often than not having badly gemmed and enchanted gear is a sign of a bad attitude. They just don't care about contributing or their effect on their teammates.
    And it's because of people like you, BGs still are fun. People that actually try to win, Even though their gear ain't good. How else should you get gear, right? Atleast you do what you can with the gear you got.

  14. #114
    Gold is easier to make now than any other time in wow's history, the people who don't gem, enchant or buy basic contendors gear are just plain lazy. There are options for gems/enchants even if the BiS ones are still expensive, can't afford dancing steel for your 463 weapon? How about elemental force or whatever it's called that costs 100g. You make good raiding, doing dungeons, doing scenarios, even if you do 10 dailies you'll make 200g a day. Not to mention you make gold leveling, I've had enough for 280% flying and basic boe crafted gear on every alt I've hit 90 even without professions. You just have to buy smart, get mats and tip a crafter instead of getting it off the AH. I paid 3k for each of my most recent pieces when the ah price was 8k.

    There is no excuse for botters, just like there is no excuse for intentionally keeping your character gimped. It makes you bad no matter how you phrase it.

  15. #115
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    649
    Couple of things to note there.
    - They could be seriously new to the game and have no idea yet what they're doing. These players need (polite) help, not flaming.
    - They could be playing on a low population realm, where prices for gems are high in fact. And yes I'm serious, if you're low on gold stuff can be very expensive in that case.
    - If the item in question is of low quality (e.g., a blue item) they might not see the need to gem/enchant it because it's not an epic item yet. I also don't gem or enchant blues unless I have to raid in them (for example, when MoP raiding started we all had mostly 463 blue) but even then(!) I don't enchant/gem the best stuff in there because I'm not in a world-first guild who needs every bit of power they can get. I raided 2 months with a 463 blue main hand just enchanted with Windsong instead of Jade Spirit. I only enchanted Jade Spirit on the 489 main hand I got afterwards. It would have been a waste of money otherwise.

  16. #116
    I agree with you 100% OP, if you aren't even going to try then why even play? Sure you could argue that you are playing 'casually' and therefor do not care about such things as enchants / reforges or gems (let alone professions) but why would you not want to enhance your gameplay with said enchantments. Like many above me have posted the lesser versions of all of the enchants or gems do not cost a lot of gold and are easily obtainable for anyone who does daily quests. There are so many ways to earn enough gold in this game to pay for your character it isn't even funny, you do not have to be a master of the Auction House in order to afford to outfit your character.

    I guess it comes down to one of two scenarios, the player really does not care about gems / enchants or reforges or they are new player and simply do not understand how to go about getting all of these things.

  17. #117
    Also, most servers the contenders gear is 100-150g per piece. Even if you just bought 5-6 pieces and get the set bonus it makes a HUGE difference in how quickly you die. Plan out which pieces you will buy with conquest, which with honor and which good pve pieces you use and buy the 450 cheap ones based on that. God forbid you spend 500-1000 gold that takes two days worth of dailies to make!

    Finally, level alts for professions and NEVER use the AH to level them unless it's super cheap. If it will cost more than 2k to go 1-600 it isn't worth it. But you can buy cheap stuff and farm expensive, that's what I do.

  18. #118
    God I hate them. especially in 10v10 battlegrounds

  19. #119
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,703
    Quote Originally Posted by zaheer12a View Post
    You don't necessarily get the best available enchants. 'Secondary' enchants are better than nothing and usually cost 25g max.
    Agreed on this.
    Sure some people can't afford the best enchants and gems, but as you said, lesser enchants are stupidly cheap and green gems cost nothing as well. Using these will still make a fairly big difference compared to using nothing at all.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Fully gemmed compared to no gems AT ALL makes a huge difference.

    OT: I also cringe whenever I see someone with no gems/enchants AND performing poorly. If the person at least tries his best (Which I did during DS where I couldnt afford gems, yet topped the DPS meters) and doesn't do stupid stuff.

    It's just that... if I'm able to make gold and buy gems, then so can those players.
    I'd rather take a player who's character is naked but he calls out incs, cc's healers/enemies targetting our healer than players in full malevolent who sit in mid getting farmed by the other team.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •