Thread: So its dial up

10+ Year Old Account

So its dial up

I live on the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere atm and was wanting to play wow but I dont want to sub if I dont have a good enough ping to play, I don't care about raiding and my main is dps so I wouldnt be hurting any groups, anyway, I tested my ping on speedtest.net and it gave me a 75 ping and 1mbps and .15mbps upload is this good enough to farm and shit without over 200ms lag?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    I live on the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere atm and was wanting to play wow but I dont want to sub if I dont have a good enough ping to play, I don't care about raiding and my main is dps so I wouldnt be hurting any groups, anyway, I tested my ping on speedtest.net and it gave me a 75 ping and 1mbps and .15mbps upload is this good enough to farm and shit without over 200ms lag?
    My internet is 50ping. 3mbps down and 0.27mbps upload and I live just outside a city in the UK. :P

I'd say you're okay; but do you have any other online games you can test your connection on first?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    I don't care about raiding and my main is dps so I wouldnt be hurting any groups
    DPS can hurt groups, when everyone is doing 60-100k dps you are doing 20k, you are hurting the group and is asking to be removed.

PING around 200 CAN be playable (not competitive raid though as first boss in HoF will kill anyone that lags), but you will have to pre-empt a lot of things.

You are fine from bandwidth point of view as wow uses only few kilobytes. Latency doesn't rely on bandwidth tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are many things you can do to reduce your latency to be able to raid competitively.

Imo create a trial WoW account on another email and play on the server your main is on. Google ways to reduce your latency on WoW and try to tweak it down to something more acceptable. Anything under 175 should be just fine, you'll get used to it in game and be able to compensate for it on more sensitive mechanics, as mentioned earlier; the Attuneation ability on Imperial Vizier Zor'lok in HoF.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

I played on Dial up for most of Vanilla and it was fine. Can't really say now though...

Deleted
    What does this have to do with "dial up" as described in the title?

Last time i used dial up it was 56k Flex, and I was getting around about 4.5 KB/sec downstream. And that was more than 10 years ago.

Not sure what kind of dial up gives you "1mbps and .15mbps". Unless it's bonded ISDN perhaps.

It's all very confusing

Still, on topic - 1mbps and .15mbps "should" be sufficient for WoW.

Deleted
    Just create a trial account and find out from there.

Ping relies on your internet connection to some extent, but it also relies on the location of the server you are connecting to. For this reason create a trial and make some characters on different realms, figure out which has the lowest ping and play on that server.

Ping can also have to do with the number of requests being initiated, so you may find that you need to play on a low pop realm. You will still enjoy the game, and your connection speed is more than fast enough.

Deleted
    I raided via my phone for a few days when my net went down and that was fine + around the speeds you mentioned. Only issue i had was not being able to use VOIP while raiding without causing issues.

200ms is not a major issue at all. You just have to respond faster.

500ms+ becomes a genuine issue with large, noticeable delays, even when you're responding perfectly.