Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Video games hazardous to the controller

What games caused you the most wear n tear or even resulted in breaking your controller? (from the mechanics of the game not throwing the controller in a rage of fury)

Ones that come to mind to me are,

Crash n the Boys street challenge for NES. (Button mashing in all its glory.)

And the tug-o-war mini game from Mario Party which easily can result in a broken joystick and a giant red bleeding circle on your palm!

I'll just leave this here... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SNKBoss

Fighting games can be brutal, unless you manipulate bugs in the AI.

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction...I've gone through 3 mouses with all that clicking lol

I can't think of any specific games, but almost anything for the N64. I had to replace so many controllers for that system it was silly. No idea if it was the controllers or the games that caused the problem.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Most recently, and for the first time in almost a decade, the Starcraft 2 'Starcraft Master' Blizzard custom game mod. I nearly threw my keyboard and mouse through my screen, which instantly made me want to hurl the whole lot through the window. I was constantly getting just enough latency/delay to make the challenges deliriously hard and almost impossible at times. It didn't help that my keyboard didn't even respond on some of the faster hotkey sections.

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    I can't think of any specific games, but almost anything for the N64. I had to replace so many controllers for that system it was silly. No idea if it was the controllers or the games that caused the problem.
    It was always the joystick that was the issue for me. That plastic dust crap would build up and cause it to wear out even faster. That stuff had no place to go besides back down into the joystick, causing even more buildup from the extra friction. After a few controllers I found cleaning them regularly with q-tips with some rubbing alcohol really extended the life of the controller by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagmonster View Post
    It was always the joystick that was the issue for me. That plastic dust crap would build up and cause it to wear out even faster. That stuff had no place to go besides back down into the joystick, causing even more buildup from the extra friction. After a few controllers I found cleaning them regularly with q-tips with some rubbing alcohol really extended the life of the controller by a lot.
    I took one apart once to try and repair it and never could manage to reassemble it :P. My fine motor skills are completely worthless... no doubt half the reason I broke the controller in the first place!
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really a problem with controllers breaking, but during my 8 years of playing Diablo i went through 3 or 4 CD...not fun to buy the 4th copy of Diablo2
    (Broken 2 CD-ROMs as 2 CDs kinda exploded inside while playing)
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    FIFA on the Xbox, it's just a very rage-worthy game.

Deleted
    MWF2, quit playing the series on my ps3 after that lol, those controllers are too costly =p

The first thing that came to mind was the original Mario Party. That one minigame where you had to rotate the joystick repeatedly to get a raft to move in a certain direction... That was a nightmare on the hands too.

6 words: Mario Party games

fighting games and fps.... so much rage. all kinds of handle throwing going on. i'm not as bad as i used to be though >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never destroyed a controller since I don´t really play on a console.

But I have destroyed 9 MX518 mice while I was playing CoD semi-professional, all of them I ruined the left mouse button by picking the mouse up and slamming it down on the table, they where cheap and good so I just bought new ones.

I even have 4 of them still here, just sitting in a box.

This is the mouse.

“A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Super Smash Bros and Mario Party.

Though if we take out the "throwing the controller in a fit of rage" aspect, it goes to Mario Party's "rotate the control stick" minigames, AKA mutually assured destruction of your palm and control stick.

I like how the OP states "not throwing the controller in a rage of fury" and yet most replies are about broken controllers because of raging, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Recently. Bayonetta. Torture kills and finishing kills. D:

10+ Year Old Account
    International Track and Field on the playstation, broke two pads using a lighter to spam the button by rubbing it back and fore.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Most dungeon crawler games (i.e. Torchlight or Diablo) are pretty brutal on mice. Thankfully, none have fallen into disorder as a result of my rapid fire mouse clicking.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW broke my first laptop's keyboard.

The WSAD keys started coming off, the X (which is bound to every interrupt ability) was the first to go though.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drofdel View Post
    Most dungeon crawler games (i.e. Torchlight or Diablo) are pretty brutal on mice. Thankfully, none have fallen into disorder as a result of my rapid fire mouse clicking.
    I was a bit worried about my mouse while playing Diablo III but apparently my mouse survived that.
    Putin khuliyo