1. #1

    need a 2nd opinion on an upcoming new build

    My current machine is a dinosaur. it has been obsolete going on six years now, and I have finally been able to put aside some cash to build a decent budget gaming machine. however my two concerns are bottle necking, and being stuck in the same pickle i was when i built my current machine. which is my hardware being obsolete and phased out within a year after assembling it.

    I don't need to play Crysis 2 on extreme settings, and my Monitor does not support 1080p. but I would like to be able to play most games on at least high settings at around 1400x900 res at anywhere between 30 to 60 fps.

    I have already bought my new case, 2 dimms of 4gb G.skill sniper series 1866 memory, my aftermarket cpu cooler, and a basic 7200rpm WD hard drive.

    the guts of the machine that i'm planing to purchase soon are

    Mobo - Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
    CPU - AMD FX-4300 Vishera
    GPU - HiS Icooler Radeon HD 7770 Ghz edition
    PSU - Rosewill Hive-550

    so am i just opening a can of worms with this build? could i be spending less? or should i be spending a little more?

  2. #2
    First off, your selected PSU isn't in this vetted recommended PSUs list. You'll notice that only Rosewill's 80+ Gold/Platinum units are listed. Not quite sure what your PSU budget is but the CX 430 v2 $25 ater $20 MIR is an excellent choice for tight budgets. According to this PSU calc, your build should consume 325W without overclocking and 400W with max overclocks (over 40% CPU overclock and overvolted GPU). If you'd like a higher wattage unit, you can select 500-600W units from the list.

    According to this guide on computer components, HIS is an 'ok' manufacturer. If your budget allows, I'd go for a higher quality brand (ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, XFX Sapphire).
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-12-09 at 11:06 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    First off, your selected PSU isn't in this vetted recommended PSUs list. You'll notice that only Rosewill's 80+ Gold/Platinum units are listed. Not quite sure what your PSU budget is but the CX 430 v2 $25 ater $20 MIR is an excellent choice for tight budgets. According to this PSU calc, your build should consume 325W without overclocking and 400W with max overclocks (over 40% CPU overclock and overvolted GPU). If you'd like a higher wattage unit, you can select 500-600W units from the list.

    According to this guide on computer components, HIS is an 'ok' manufacturer. If your budget allows, I'd go for a higher quality brand (ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, XFX Sapphire).
    the hive-550 is on that list that you linked

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by slimj091 View Post
    the hive-550 is on that list that you linked
    Well this is awkward.
    "I'm a beaver in a hole, if you don't know what that is than I feel sorry for you"

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wookybear View Post
    Well this is awkward.
    LOL yeah. Same rebranded Sirfa unit as the OCZ ZS...which also happens to be on the list!

    @OP: For a budget system, your build choices are just fine.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by slimj091 View Post
    the hive-550 is on that list that you linked
    My bad, didn't expect a Rosewill 80+ Bronze to be on the list.

    I'd still go for the CX 430 v2 though since its significantly cheaper, if you're buying from Newegg. Maybe you can upgrade to a 7850.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    My bad, didn't expect a Rosewill 80+ Bronze to be on the list.

    I'd still go for the CX 430 v2 though since its significantly cheaper, if you're buying from Newegg. Maybe you can upgrade to a 7850.
    i would like my psu to be at least semi-modular. which the CX-430 isn't. plus i would like the added wattage of a 550 or 600 watt in case i want to add some things down the line. thanks for your suggestion tho

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •