Deleted

Quick feral question

Hi guys,

I have a druid alt and have been playing feral for a short while now, but I have a quick question regarding priorities...

Sometimes I get into the situation where my SR has plenty of time left (30s+), I have 5 CP, my energy is about to cap (~90) but rip has about 4-5 seconds left. There's two ways I can handle this:

1. I refresh rip anyway, despite clipping the DoT by about 4 sec
    2. I FB, rip falls off for a few sec

I imagine that 1 is the way to go, but I'm wondering how other people feel about this and whether there is perhaps something I can do to avoid getting into this situation. Like I said I have not been playing feral for very long so it might just be something I learn to think ahead about as I go along.

Any tips are appreciated!

I would rake if that is about to fall off, otherwise shred then refresh Rip
    "Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    Captain Henry P. Jim Crowe - 13th January 1943 - (Guadalcanal)

Deleted
    Hmm, but then you're essentially wasting combo points. Is losing a combo point (or potentially 2 from a crit) deemed better than clipping about 4 seconds off of rip? Does this actually still clip? I read somewhere that DoTs get their damage recalculated when extending, but I'm not sure if there's a certain threshold (in seconds) where that applies.

But you are energy capped. Energy capping is DPS loss
    "Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    Captain Henry P. Jim Crowe - 13th January 1943 - (Guadalcanal)

Deleted
    Hence the question if it's deemed more beneficial to "waste" CP than to waste Rip ticks.

Deleted
    It's best to have as much uptime on rake and rip, rake almost being close to 100%. However rip doesn't need the same amount of uptime, so FB and start over again. Or you know, can put in a thrash maybe? thats 50 energy well spent i'd say then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelen View Post
    Hmm, but then you're essentially wasting combo points. Is losing a combo point (or potentially 2 from a crit) deemed better than clipping about 4 seconds off of rip? Does this actually still clip? I read somewhere that DoTs get their damage recalculated when extending, but I'm not sure if there's a certain threshold (in seconds) where that applies.
    Yes, its fine to waste combo points. Better than waste energy anyway.
    Clipping works if less than 2 seconds left. Its very important to keep rip uptime as high as possible, so fb at 4 seconds would be a serious dps loss. Using fb at less than 7-8 seconds will be suicidal to your rotation unless you have tf coming. It will change in the future, but currently our crit is not high enough to rely on it.

In worst situation you will get:
    0. fb --> 50e, 0cp.
    1. shred -->10e 1cp
    2. --- -->20e 1cp
    3. --- -->30e 1cp
    4. shred -->0e 2cp (last rip tick)
    5. --- -->10e 2cp
    6. --- -->20e 1cp
    7. rake -->0e 3cp
    8. --- -->10e 3cp
    9. --- -->20e 3cp
    10. --- -->30e 3cp
    11. shred -->0e 4cp
    12. --- -->10e 4cp
    13. --- -->20e 4cp
    14. --- -->30e 4cp
    15. shred -->0e 5cp
    16. --- -->10e 2cp
    17. --- -->20e 1cp
    18. RIP!
    19. ---
    20. rip tick. (16 seconds rip downtime!)

Obviously you have slightly better regen than 10 per second, and there is a chance for clearcasting(you should use it for thrash, btw, so no cp), and chance not to get a single crit after 5 hits is pretty low(its around 3% to be precise). But still its too risky.

Deleted
    Ah thank you, that makes things pretty clear.I'll remember thrash, it never really occurs to me to use it in single target situations. Luckily the situation I described in the OP doesn't occur too often, but it's one of those edge cases where I get a bit lost sometimes!

Now I'll know what to do, thanks!

General rule from what I've read is if you have 7 or 8 seconds left on rip, it's better to clip it than FB and start from 0cp.

Deleted
    Well, like I mentioned previously it never really occured to me to use thrash in single-target situations. One thing this thread has left me wondering, though... Would Shred still be better, despite wasting CPs? Nice thing about thrash though, I guess, is that you get Weakened Blows (even though the tank should definitely be applying this).

Deleted
    Trahs is about double the dpe as shred. That means when you ABSOLUTELY dont want combo points or dont get any benifit froom them at all you can trash without a clearcast proc.
    Your main focus as a feral druid generally is to keep a maximum uptime on your savage roar and dots while not capping energy. If savage roar is fine but rip has a low uptime left and you wont be able to get enough combo points after a bite you should begin pooling energy. DO NOT CAP IT. It is fine for ferals to not use the energy as soon as available as long as you dont lose uptime on something. If you get close to capping and are alrdy at 5 cp you should trash if it is not up yet(or less than 3 sec). If you alrdy have it up you should use shred. Only use as many shreds as you need to not cap energy.

Deleted
    If you are on 5 cp Rip has lower then 6 seconds and Savage Roar has plenty of time i'd Thrash and put Rip up after.

Deleted
    Cool, that clears things right up for me, thank you! I didn't realise Thrash was higher dpe than Shred, so like you guys said, I am at 5CP, 90E, 30+ sec left on SR, ~6 sec left on rip, I'll be going for Thrash from now on as a filler.

Thanks all for your input!