Gifting Riot Points

Hello friends!

I do not play League of Legends personally (I'm level 14? (last time I played was >a year ago)), but my little brother does. I was thinking of buying Riot Points for him this Christmas. I've a few questions however:

• Can you gift RP, or do you have to log into the account?
    • Do I need any other information but his account name and server?
    • If I spend ~$150 on RP, what will he roughly be able to buy? A few champions? Rune pages?
    • Is it reasonable to even spend $150, or should I purchase a smaller amount and look for something else in addition?

Kind regards,
    Longview

Deleted
    * Ingame, not yet. You can buy gift cards (in the US only I think).
    * Password if you want to buy the points via the store.
    * The max you can buy is 50. So you can do it 3 times. 50 = 9300 points. Skins are around 975 points, so are the most expensive champions.

Deleted
    With ~150$ you can buy a lot of champions/skins, if your brother is new to the game, buying the bundles is probably better, but I have no idea of this since I didn't do any math, considering some champions cost from 250 RP to 975 RP, same thing with skins.

You can buy a lot of stuff with ~150$ but I think 150$ is a lot, especially if he's new to the game, considering he might not like the game, but if you give him atleast 50$, he can buy a lot of stuff already.

Quote Originally Posted by Aturbus View Post
    * Ingame, not yet. You can buy gift cards (in the US only I think).
    Will these work outside of the US servers? Last I played, there were server restrictions - my sincere apologies if this has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    You can buy a lot of stuff with ~150$ but I think 150$ is a lot, especially if he's new to the game, considering he might not like the game, but if you give him atleast 50$, he can buy a lot of stuff already.
    He's played continuously (to the best of my knowledge) since a year ago or so. I don't know what role(s) he prefers, and I have no idea how many champions he has. I'll ask him if he still plays, and check his account stats out prior to buying, but given that we see each other on average a few days per year I do not really know.

I don't know if the European client is different but the US client saves your credit card information. If you do go that route and just purchase RP on his account for him, you may want to delete that information after the purchase. I'd trust my brother not to do anything with it but better safe than sorry!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    He's played continuously (to the best of my knowledge) since a year ago or so. I don't know what role(s) he prefers, and I have no idea how many champions he has. I'll ask him if he still plays, and check his account stats out prior to buying, but given that we see each other on average a few days per year I do not really know.
    If he's playing for a year now, then buying bundles isn't a good thing, because he will most likely have a lot of champions now, meaning that he will probably only spend RP on skins.

This is good, it's better spending money on skins than on champions, because you can buy champions with IP(which you get just by playing games, no money wasted).

But if you don't know what he likes to play, just buy him the RP and then let him buy what he wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, if you could somehow find out what his account credentials (considering you are his brother), he could wake up on christmas day with loads of RP on his account. Now that would be the coolest thing ever.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    You know, if you could somehow find out what his account credentials (considering you are his brother), he could wake up on christmas day with loads of RP on his account. Now that would be the coolest thing ever.
    Did you just tell me to hack his account? I could probably guess his password in a few minutes..

Are the gift cards valid on EU (west) accounts? I google'd, and could only find places to buy them from.

Did you just tell me to hack his account?
    I thought brothers did that kinda stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the next patch (it's live on the PBE, so might arrive before chirstmas) they have implemented the gifting system. I'm not exactly sure if you can gift RP, but I know you can gift skins, so I would assume RP as well.

Ok, poking around in the official forums has led me to believe that prepaid cards are not available outside of the US, or places where people play on the NA.

If the gifting center things goes live before christmas, then I think that would be your best bet. But otherwise you will probably have to think of creative ways to give him RP.

Now to $150 worth or RP. On the NA servers, that would net you 22200 RP points. Which is a lot of RP. If your brother just bought skins and champions (the average price is 975 RP) he would be able to get 22 with a bit left over. As others have mentioned there are bundles that are available that are around 3k RP but have a lot more champions and skins the you would get if you spent 3k RP just on skins. I would probably spend something closer to $50 or even 100 if you really wanted to get him RP, but I think 150 is a bit overkill. I mean I thin any LoLer would be able to spend it easily and they would enjoy it, but to me it seems a bit much for an all at once gift. Really that's up to you though.

Did you just tell me to hack his account? I could probably guess his password in a few minutes..

Are the gift cards valid on EU (west) accounts? I google'd, and could only find places to buy them from.
    You can also just ask him for it 'to play on his account' since he has more champions and is lvl 30 already.

Deleted
    I'd say buy him $50 worth of RP, and spend the other $100 on some physical presents. $50 is plenty enough to buy some new champs and some awesome skins. I wouldn't throw $150 at the game for him at this point as he is only level 14, and he may get bored of it. Good luck!

Edit: Got mixed up with the levels -_- didn't realise he was 30. Well, if he's pretty addicted, go crazy! I'd be pretty happy with $150 worth of Riot Points to spend haha.
    Last edited by mmoc6f059d64e7; 2012-12-11 at 08:51 PM.

I'd personally buy him the whole $150 if he likes the game that much, I personally hate spending money on virtual goods (even though I want them really bad and do spend the money) I end up regretting it but don't hesitate when buying physical items (even if it's a total waste of money) I don't know why, that's just me and I'd rather someone buy them for me so I don't regret it and enjoy it but as I said, just my 2 cents. + You can never have enough riot points, you never know when limited skins will pop up!

Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    I don't know if the European client is different but the US client saves your credit card information. If you do go that route and just purchase RP on his account for him, you may want to delete that information after the purchase. I'd trust my brother not to do anything with it but better safe than sorry!
    Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    You can also just ask him for it 'to play on his account' since he has more champions and is lvl 30 already.
    Pretty clever, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    I'd personally buy him the whole $150 if he likes the game that much
    Yeah, that's the thing. He's told me he would like to try Dota 2 (a game which I play frequently) with me. I don't know if that means he'd make a full switch, but I'd be a bit sad if I bought him lotsa RP and he quit.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Deleted
    This Christmas they're bringing in gifts, so you'll be able to gift people RP/Champions/Skins etc.

I wish I had such a rich brother :O

150 dollars for a game...lol my mind cannot contain such a thought, its rough here in my country

Anyway, I think he will love the present and it can pretty much ensure he will keep playing the game, skins inspire the player, more champions to choose from = not gonna get bored any soon, unlike me, I get bored very often...

Greet him from my name

Awesome big brother +1