What to upgrade, with limited options

I know that there are a few topics on this, and i have gone thru them and have a general idea on it. I just wanted to ask, with my current gear. Which from how my guild is progressing, is looking like how it will be for some time. Sha and LFR arent my friends right now, so the axe and tier are hard to come by.

I was just curious, with my current setup would be be worth it to upgrade my LFR orders/darkmoon trinkets first, or should i upgrade my pvp shoulders as those are perfect stats.

I played around with SW and HA in simcraft and im getting better numbers with SW. Ignore speed of light, was just using to to race a druid back to the boss, on a boring raid night.

Any feedback would be appreciated, i picked up the ring and logged, so reforging might be a little off.

Thanks in advance.

I might coming at this wrong as you are asking about upgrading specific items but...

My universal rule of upgrading epics is to always pick the ones you are least likely to replace.

So I would generally take a look at your higher ilvl items, like your chest/cloak/bracers/rings/neck, and then take a look at the loot table of the content you are currently clearing. Have a long think about what upgrades you are likely to get and when, and then decide which of the pieces (likely chest) is going to give the biggest stat reward in exchange.

For example, your chest would be the biggest stat upgrade - but maybe you want tier chest and have a reasonable chance of getting it some time soon? It really depends on what you think investing the points in will make the most sense with your current progression.

Remember, 1500 valor points (or even just 750) is a lot. That's the equivalent of a new epic from rep, so you dont want to be spending it on something like your trinket and then replacing it immediately next week when your trinket drops in normal.

But yeah that's just my 2 cents.

Deleted
    Well, if you use simcraft I guess you could sim out which is the best upgrade. I've never used the software, but my hunch is that upgrading your weapon would be the best bang for your buck. I'd be inclined to do that. If you kill Elegon on normal and get lucky with the axe, you'll regret it but I understand Elegon is a dps race, so maximising that now would be good for your guild's progression.

Beyond that, I personally am going to hold off on upgrading items until I have bought the 496 VP gear from the 5.1 dailies. It's a bigger ilevel gain per VP generally, and I'd rather upgrade 496 stuff than below par items.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Beyond that, I personally am going to hold off on upgrading items until I have bought the 496 VP gear from the 5.1 dailies. It's a bigger ilevel gain per VP generally, and I'd rather upgrade 496 stuff than below par items.
    This is pretty dependent on stat priorities. For example, I'm pretty sure the 489 gloves from Elegon are better for prot pallys than any 496 gloves in the tier etc.

for me i upgrade it relic of xuen 2/2 and N lei shi on its way

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    This is pretty dependent on stat priorities. For example, I'm pretty sure the 489 gloves from Elegon are better for prot pallys than any 496 gloves in the tier etc.
    That's true, although the tier gloves are probably bis if you factor in the set bonus. If I were to upgrade gear as a tank, rather than buy new gear with VPs, I'd focus on best in slot items. For my tank, according to MrRobot (control/haste), that would all be 496 (no chance of me doing heroics) except for shield and trinkets. Ironically, though, the shield and trinkets would be very tempting items to upgrade - lots of stamina or armor.
    Last edited by mmoced226c0d6b; 2012-12-11 at 08:27 AM.

Deleted
    if this is a "where to spend currency you already have" arguement -> pvp uses honor/conquest and pve jsutice/valor so i would imagine you can upgrade the pvp shoulder and i would say the darkmoon next.

if it's a "what should i grind first justice for x item or bg's for shoulders" then i would say justice as you can farm that at the same time as Valor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    Must disagree. Tanks are kinda special in that they benefit from increased armour and stamina in addition to stat budget of higher ilvl items. With the ability to reforge, and tanks benefiting from a number of different secondary stats "equally", in the majority of cases ilvl is all (trinkets not withstanding).

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    That's true, although the tier gloves are probably bis if you factor in the set bonus. If I were to upgrade gear as a tank, rather than buy new gear with VPs, I'd focus on best in slot items. For my tank, according to MrRobot (control/haste), that would all be 496 (no chance of me doing heroics) except for shield and trinkets. Ironically, though, the shield and trinkets would be very tempting items to upgrade - lots of stamina or armor.
    Ah yeah you are right actually, factoring in 4 piece (I'm not a massive fan of our 2-piece, I don't feel cooldown starved at all).