Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation Fix my DK tank's DPS

Based on the WoL reports, how can this player improve? On some fights he's frost, so tips on that would be helpful too. In SWTOR, this player was our top dps. Since switching back to WoW, I don't think he's performing as well as he should be.

To get to the logs, click on a boss on the left, then click on a date (in red) below the graph. To get to the frost parses, click on the "Current Tier" box under "Frost" then 10man normal, then a boss.

http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/deathwing/toxicwaltz/

Thanks!

Actual logs link - http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/231965/

Just looking at the Vizier kill -http://worldoflogs.com/reports/52pequ513qaxxlce/details/4/?s=6843&e=7228 :
    Soul Reaper only used once
    Pillar of Frost only 5 times in the 6min24s fight
    Didn't Pre-pot or normal pot
    He's DW/MasterFrost and using Obliterate a lot more than he needs to
    He is also NOT using Death and Decay, which means he's using Unholy Runes elsewhere (see above)
    Plague Leech used 5 times

Here's my log from the same kill, I'm by no means perfect, but the fight duration was pretty much the same. Ours was 1sec longer:
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/8nd3p...1/?s=572&e=958

Used PoF 7 times
    Pre-pot and normal pot used
    Soul Reaper used 16 times
    Plague Leech used 9 times
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-12-10 at 07:21 PM.

I'll let him know about soul reaper. You say he's using obliterate more than he needs too, but on the linked report he used it 12 times where you used it 11. Can you define "more than he needs too"? When should a frost DK use his killing machine procs on obliterate and when should it be used on frost strike?

He used it 25 times (12 hit, 13 crit)
    I used it 15 times (11 hit, 4 crit)

(counting crits, but not off-hand hits)

As for when to Obliterate, well as Masterfrost you generally want to use most of your Frost/Death runes on Howling Blast, and spending Unholy Runes on Death and Decay, Plague Strike (when you need to re-/apply Blood Plague) and then finally Obliterate if there is nothing else to use it on. As dual wield, and assuming you can use it, Frost Strikes have prio over Obliterate for KM proccs, always.

I tend to use Plague Leech a lot too, mostly when D&D is on CD and I don't need to apply BP. I can Plague Leech and then Plague Strike again to make sure my UH runes don't cap, AND to get a free Death Rune too. Not sure if that is really optimal, but it works.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-12-10 at 07:36 PM.

sorry. forgot to add the number of crits. Can you answer these two questions for me?

Can you define "more than he needs too"?
    When should a frost DK use his killing machine procs on obliterate and when should it be used on frost strike?

Quote Originally Posted by kalenah View Post
    sorry. forgot to add the number of crits. Can you answer these two questions for me?

Can you define "more than he needs too"?
    When should a frost DK use his killing machine procs on obliterate and when should it be used on frost strike?
    Only if you're RP starved I'd guess. The way frost mastery was changed, frost strike damage > obliterate damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Only if you're RP starved I'd guess. The way frost mastery was changed, frost strike damage > obliterate damage.
    Thanks.

(message to short so i'm typing more words)

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 07:51 PM ----------

Question on soul reaper.. I see the damage it does is amazing, but is it worth trying to get the 5 second 50% haste buff on mobs that are about to die?

The above posts should help out his frost dps a bunch.

As far as his Blood dps goes I would really have him focus on his disease uptime a bit. It shouldn't be hard to maintain an uptime close to 99% on both diseases with the way that bloodboil/ crimson scourge works. His disease uptimes fluctuated anywhere from 20-60% and on one fight he failed to apply frost fever at all. While on the surface it may seem that diseases don't do much damage however over the course of a fight it will really add up considering how easy it is to keep them up.

Hope this helps.

Question on soul reaper.. I see the damage it does is amazing, but is it worth trying to get the 5 second 50% haste buff on mobs that are about to die?
    I'm not 100% on this tbh. However I usually do try to get the buff up, if possible, right before I use my CDs. For example I'm currently progressing on Garalon, and if my PoF is about to come off CD and a leg is about to die, I'll SR it, get the 50% haste and my CDs at the same time so I get to use more runes whilst they are doing extra damage.

*See post below. Don't use SR on Legs.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-12-10 at 08:27 PM.

Do you get the haste buff from the legs now? Just curious because I tried a while ago and didn't receive the buff so I stopped doing it, maybe it's been changed since.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiegel View Post
    Do you get the haste buff from the legs now? Just curious because I tried a while ago and didn't receive the buff so I stopped doing it, maybe it's been changed since.
    We just got our kill (woo), and well it seems you were right - I never noticed. So, don't use SR on the legs. :/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/qsu4ce0cfi9smuor/

grats on your kill , thanks for confirming.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really comment on his frost dps, but looking at Gara'Jal in blood his disease uptime is hella low, holding crimson scourge procs way too long, not using dancing rune weapon, he used Death Strike 9 times which is ridiculously low, didn't even use soul reaper, not enough rune strikes because of not using his runes enough. Also the voodoo doll damage he did could've easily been reduced by using Death Strike properly (while you can't absorb the shadowy attack the melees still hurt quite a bit).

Quote Originally Posted by Halland View Post
    I can't really comment on his frost dps, but looking at Gara'Jal in blood his disease uptime is hella low, holding crimson scourge procs way too long, not using dancing rune weapon, he used Death Strike 9 times which is ridiculously low, didn't even use soul reaper, not enough rune strikes because of not using his runes enough. Also the voodoo doll damage he did could've easily been reduced by using Death Strike properly (while you can't absorb the shadowy attack the melees still hurt quite a bit).
    Gara logs are completely fk'ed because I live in the spirit realm that fight (and i'm the one collecting logs). If you can do this analysis on any other fight i'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by kalenah; 2012-12-11 at 03:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gara logs are completely fk'ed because I live in the spirit realm that fight (and i'm the one collecting logs). If you can do this analysis on any other fight i'd appreciate it.
    Yes they are f'ed, and it still gives an accurate description of what he needs to do.
    Amber Shaper logs Terrible disease uptime, no SR, no DRW, low usage of DS, using Heart Strike too much, not enough rune strikes.
    Last edited by Halland; 2012-12-11 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halland View Post
    Yes they are f'ed, and it still gives an accurate description of what he needs to do.
    Amber Shaper logs Terrible disease uptime, no SR, no DRW, low usage of DS, using Heart Strike too much, not enough rune strikes.
    I'm trying to find DRW on WoL reports but I'm not seeing it anywhere. Not even for top blood dk dps parses. Also, he said he's glyphed for DRW and that lowers it's damage by 25%. Should he remove this glyph? The high RP cost of DRW makes it an unattractive skill. For 60 RP, is it worth it?

How are his talents/glyphs? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...waltz/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    He used it 25 times (12 hit, 13 crit)
    I used it 15 times (11 hit, 4 crit)

(counting crits, but not off-hand hits)

As for when to Obliterate, well as Masterfrost you generally want to use most of your Frost/Death runes on Howling Blast, and spending Unholy Runes on Death and Decay, Plague Strike (when you need to re-/apply Blood Plague) and then finally Obliterate if there is nothing else to use it on. As dual wield, and assuming you can use it, Frost Strikes have prio over Obliterate for KM proccs, always.

I tend to use Plague Leech a lot too, mostly when D&D is on CD and I don't need to apply BP. I can Plague Leech and then Plague Strike again to make sure my UH runes don't cap, AND to get a free Death Rune too. Not sure if that is really optimal, but it works.
    Actually, obliterate is really not that bad. Especially if you wanna roll the lottery. Keep in mind that oblit actually does tend to do more dmg than HB due to it actually hitting twice. This becomes especially true with 2 set.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3u...?s=9110&e=9552 Now I'm not the best geared DK in the world (by far not), but this is on a Lei Shi kill (in a guild who has some pretty big idiots, so my DPS performance won't be optimal due to having to compensate with idiots) and does show that it's not as bad as you make it out to be.
    And keep in mind we banish all the elementals but one so I'm not cleaving or anything.

You can see that I get 31 Rime procs, which makes it really worth it to not ignore Oblit as much, IMO.

This is my gear if you care: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aiyla/advanced
    Last edited by Kendeura; 2012-12-11 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendeura View Post
    Actually, obliterate is really not that bad. Especially if you wanna roll the lottery. Keep in mind that oblit actually does tend to do more dmg than HB due to it actually hitting twice. This becomes especially true with 2 set.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3u...?s=9110&e=9552 Now I'm not the best geared DK in the world (by far not), but this is on a Lei Shi kill (in a guild who has some pretty big idiots, so my DPS performance won't be optimal due to having to compensate with idiots) and does show that it's not as bad as you make it out to be.
    And keep in mind we banish all the elementals but one so I'm not cleaving or anything.

You can see that I get 31 Rime procs, which makes it really worth it to not ignore Oblit as much, IMO.

This is my gear if you care: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aiyla/advanced
    With more mastery, howling blast starts hitting as hard and then harder than obliterate. But yeah, obliterate is definitely part of our rotation, but only when you have unholy runes to put on CD (chance for Rime, and blood tap will turn unholy rune into death rune for a howling blast). If both runes are death, double howling blast will give you more damage.

I'm trying to find DRW on WoL reports but I'm not seeing it anywhere. Not even for top blood dk dps parses. Also, he said he's glyphed for DRW and that lowers it's damage by 25%. Should he remove this glyph? The high RP cost of DRW makes it an unattractive skill. For 60 RP, is it worth it?

How are his talents/glyphs? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...waltz/advanced

Oh yeah, DRW is definitely worth it. The glyph is awful though because threat isn't an issue. DRW copies your abilties such as outbreak, and SR, so DRW during execute phase is amazing. DRW also obviously has a defensive portion (extra parry) so it's good for Voodoo dolls during Garajal.
    Last edited by Lyon; 2012-12-11 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyon View Post
    With more mastery, howling blast starts hitting as hard and then harder than obliterate. But yeah, obliterate is definitely part of our rotation, but only when you have unholy runes to put on CD (chance for Rime, and blood tap will turn unholy rune into death rune for a howling blast). If both runes are death, double howling blast will give you more damage.
    Of course, you're right. If you can get 2 HBs for the same runes as 1 Oblit, obviously throw out HBs. Doesn't mean you should discredit Oblit's strength though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyon View Post
    Oh yeah, DRW is definitely worth it. The glyph is awful though because threat isn't an issue. DRW copies your abilties such as outbreak, and SR, so DRW during execute phase is amazing. DRW also obviously has a defensive portion (extra parry) so it's good for Voodoo dolls during Garajal.
    What he said, the only reason to take the glyph is if your dps have incredibly high burst, and even then after the initial pull the glyph is worthless.
    I'm trying to find DRW on WoL reports but I'm not seeing it anywhere.
    [/url]
    It's on the Buffs Cast section.
    Last edited by Halland; 2012-12-11 at 06:43 AM.