Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
17
25
... LastLast
  1. #281
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,207
    Sorry for mistaking your argument. You're right, I don't know as much on this subject; my attitude has grown rather overzealous, so I jumped into a discussion without doing my research.

  2. #282
    Off topic*though i admit i didn't read all the pages* But even though its heating up really quick, compared to the last couple millennia we're actually still in the down stroke of a cooling off on the up and down cycle of the enviroment. The problem is we're doing it to fast for life to adapt properly, not that it hasn't happened before tens of thousands of times.

  3. #283
    Let's face it, if Global warming was as real as they say, Al Gore would have demanded presidency and we'd all be flying around like the Jetsons by now.
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

  4. #284
    It has been scientifically proven that our beloved earth goes through cycles, the closer we come to an ice age the more extreme the weather will become and so on. I do believe in global warming to a point, we have hastened the process between ice ages but not by much. We do need to address pollution but not because of global warming, but because of the global PH value that has gone straight to hell.

  5. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's no evidence for a causal linkage between low IQ and climate change denialism. In fact, more intelligent and informed conservatives are more likely to be deniers.
    It has nothing to do with IQ. You can have a smart person deny Global Warming because they feel it's fighting against a liberal ideal. Which they can't stand. There is alot to gain by trying to deny global warming and getting the sheep in line. If your a big energy company, and stand to lose changes energy and climate reform, you're going to do whatever you can to secure the cashflow. I mean, alot of people look at it like this. "My family and I aren't going to be around when the consequences are approaching, so who cares? Let's keep the duckettes rollin in". It's sad. But it's true.

    Intelligent people won't say "Oh, this climate scientist is denying global warming. So therefore, GW is not a real thing." without looking into who is funding their research, and how much money they are getting.

    But I don't believe deniers. I think they're denying for many reasons. But it isn't because they believe Global Warming isn't a reality. Most people aren't that ignorant.
    Perfect example of why "community" forums are poisonous to the health of a development team. These developers are wasting hundreds of hours trying to stem the tide of incessant bitchery that would never, ever abate so long as these entitled, unfortunate human beings don't get their way.

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by smartAXE View Post
    Let's face it, if Global warming was as real as they say, Al Gore would have demanded presidency and we'd all be flying around like the Jetsons by now.
    I wonder if somebody said the same thing about Galileo and his crazy insane theory of "Earth being a planet that revolves around a sun" before they forced him to recant his blasphemous statements.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 06:59 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's no evidence for a causal linkage between low IQ and climate change denialism. In fact, more intelligent and informed conservatives are more likely to be deniers.
    There's a difference between knowledge and information.

    People who watch FOX news think they have an excellent reliable source of accurate information, for example.

    And, to quote a great line from Classic Doctor Who:
    "Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority!"
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    I'll go with proven scientific data that is out there showing how the earth is now in a cooling stage and not warming up. The earth goes through a cooling/heating up cycle.

    http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow...192334971.html
    That's not "proven scientific data". That's a propaganda piece produced for the sake of spreading misinformation. The fact that the paper is published in a geography journal called "Remote Sensing" instead of any climate science publication should have been a big clue. In fact, it relies on a oversimplified model that deliberately ignores many factors in order to produce the results it produced, and makes no attempt to account for the potential errors and statistical significance of their results that any respectable scientist would.


    The Antarctic sea ice extent has been at or near record extent in past few summers; the Arctic has rebounded in recent years since the low point in 2007... I'm sure if you google you can find more infomation about it.
    Too bad you didn't take your own advice. Talking about the modest increase of Antarctic sea ice is outright deceitful, because it ignores the fact that Antarctic land ice has seen a drastic decline - causing the small sea ice in the first place. And the Arctic has not rebounded - it reached record low this year. When the only arguments you have relies on deliberately discarding almost all data, you know your denialism is on its last legs.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 07:11 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Draahl View Post
    It has been scientifically proven that our beloved earth goes through cycles
    No, the Earth's climate changes when there are factors causing it to change. It is not a cycle, there is no pattern of inevitable increase or decrease.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 07:13 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    In other words. Yeah. The earth is not cooling. It's getting warmer. Unless you want to cherry-pick data. In which case it is cooling.
    Well we all know how so-called "skeptics" see the world:


    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 07:16 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    there is no argument from looking at the data that there has been a trending upward swing in temps. But the question is it man made? is it even CO2 caused? Because how can it be man caused, when if you looked at the history of earth, there has been constant warming and cooling of the planet?
    Because in the history of the Earth, it cooled and warmed for different reasons?


    And lets say it is man caused, it is CO2 caused?
    Yes. Do you dispute that CO2 is a greenhouse gas?

    I'm just really tired of the liberal freak out fest by the left, using this issue to gain political power and ascend into power by fear mongering. We need real science and real solutions.
    Then maybe you should start listening to the real science which says that the Earth is warming, humans are causing it, and it's CO2? Instead of pretending it's a liberal hoax?

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 07:19 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    There's been warm and cold ages in the past. They're very slow and happen over thousands of years. Yes, our influence on the planet has some effect
    If by some effect, you mean we're responsible for most of the warming we have seen in the past few decades, when this is something that happens on the scale of centuries and millennia.

  8. #288
    Its not so damn much about climate changes, its HOW WE SHOULD TREET THE WORLD WE LIVE INN.

    Gas, pollution and other shit aint healthy for you. If you live inn a urban city with alot of traffic and whatnot you're a risk off getting lung-cancer, or whatever...Im not a doctor. Its been said again and again if you live inn a place/out to a road with alot of traffic you aint living healthy - That should be the hole point.

    Also Denmark, we are the best country inn the euro-zone for CO2, I think I heard...And we got a good standard of living. Think about that for one secound. We all want fresh clean air, and no insane oil leaks inn our ocean and shit.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

  9. #289
    The term "Global Warming" is used primarily by the alarmists in an effort to get the ignorant masses to panic. That's why I don't "believe in" it.

    The fact is, the climate is changing. Specifically, the earth is generally getting warmer. This isn't the first time it's happened, nor will it be the last. It's the height of foolishness to blame it all on mankind, as the alarmists do, and that's why I have nothing but disdain for them. Are we helping the situation? No. Are we making it worse? At least a little. Are we all gonna die? No. Are we gonna destroy the planet? No. Are we at least gonna ruin the planet? No. Not even a little? Well, it depends on your definition of "a little", but by my definition NO, we are not.

    Is reducing pollution a good thing? Of course. But it's not some sort of divine goal that absolutely must be our primary focus.

  10. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No, it isnt just climate change, its Global warming, and to call it climate change is just an Ultra lazy PC Buzzword used to make typically right wingers feel less guilty than they should about their ignorance concerning the matter.
    Both terms are legitimate but they mean different things. Global Warming describes the increase in the Earth's mean temperature we are seeing. Climate Change is the result of this warming. It doesn't mean that everywhere on Earth is going to get warm. It means the climates will change, some places will get colder, wetter, warmer, drier, etc.

    The debate of whether or not human activities are causing the mean global temperature to rise is held in political circles and by the general public not science. The scientific consensus is that human activities are causing this warming and the resulting climate changes.

  11. #291
    Pit Lord Doktor Faustus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK of Earth World & Northern Fat Land
    Posts
    2,418
    FFS, must I spell it out so a 4 year can understand?

    I ACCEPT that climate change is occuring, you would have to be severely retarded to deny it.

    I ACCEPT man is having an influence on the climate.

    However, man's influence is pitiful and indeed just another chapter in Earth's history.

    As I said before, manmade=natural, do not believe me? So you assume man came from outer space (not talking about amino acid seeding by asteroids here) or a 'God' put us here? Plants and animals just love the new ecosystems man has created call towns and cities!

    Do not worry about climate change, the Earth surely does not. It could not give a fuck if the temperature rises by 20 degrees Celsius or drops by 50.

    It has seen it all before, a much more carbon dioxide rich atmosphere and a much more oxygen rich atmosphere.

    What man needs to do is start ADAPTING to the changes and stop crying about them - becoming town dwellers and the digital age has made us Westerners much more lazy, too prone for bitching rather than doing - always looking for someone or something to blame.

    Move away from low lying coastal areas, start using more renewables.

    But there is no way we can stop the natural procress, it would have happened if man had existed or not - and even reducing the population of the globe by 99% will not reverse it.

    Now, enjoy your new green products and fancy taxes to make greedy men more rich.

  12. #292
    Scientific Consensus says that Global Climate Change induced Global Warming that is also Anthropogenic (caused by humans) is both real and conclusive. The very few denialism articles are published by those with very little credibility in the field and base degrees of knowledge.

    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/06/04/1003187107

    In other words, the deniers believe a bunch of crazy lunatics who don't know what they're talking about, and the informed who accept anthropogenic global warming follow a well respected and knowledgeable community of climate scientists.

    Now, enjoy your new green products and fancy taxes to make greedy men more rich.
    You mean the subsidies paid for lower gas prices that ultimately get paid by our tax dollars, so that oil companies can continue to make record profits?
    Last edited by The Batman; 2012-12-11 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Unfortunately for you, dictionaries are not authorities on the definitions of words.
    Ezekiel 23:20, Ezekiel 16:49-50, Mark 10:25, James 5:1-6, Luke 16:19-31, Matthew 19:21, Numbers 5:11-31

  13. #293
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    Do not worry about climate change, the Earth surely does not. It could not give a fuck if the temperature rises by 20 degrees Celsius or drops by 50.
    Why do people keep saying this as though it is in any way relevant or meaningful? Way to completely miss the point. Of course the Earth doesn't care. It's humanity that's in trouble.

    As I said before, manmade=natural,
    Arguing semantics is nothing to be proud of.


    But there is no way we can stop the natural procress, it would have happened if man had existed or not
    Yeah, no. What's happening now is only happening because of human carbon emission. This is not a natural process no matter what word games you play.

  14. #294
    Nobody denies climate change. It's just that some of us aren't arrogant enough to think that humanity alone is causing it. It's happened before.

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Nobody denies climate change. It's just that some of us aren't arrogant enough to think that humanity alone is causing it. It's happened before.
    True arrogance is believing that your actions have no consequences.

    With all due respect, saying "it's happened before" is just being ignorant. Natural climate change is extremely slow and does not happen for no discernible reason. We know why the planet is warming now. That it has warmed for different reasons in the past is not the sort of super duper meaningful point that skeptics think it is when they bring it up every single page.

  16. #296
    High Overlord Charliesheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    163
    Professor Charlie Sheen In the house to educate y'all
    Fact: The Earth is currently way below average temperature, due to recovery from the previous ice age
    Fact: Sea levels are currently one of the lowest they have ever been
    Fact: The earth goes through cycles of hot and cold (similar to Katy perrys top hit song)
    Fact: We are leaving a cold cycle and entering a hotter cycle, thus temperatures will increase
    Fact: Humans are contributing to global warming
    Debateable: How much humans are contributing to global warming, personally I believe it is very little in the grand scheme of things

    Consider yourself educated tiger blood style
    (Sources - An Education in Geography and Geology, and generally not being an uneducated idiot)

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    This isn't a statistical thread proving that scientifically, global warming must be true. However, it's just become so clear in my eyes that global warming has been occurring that it just seems obvious.
    How ,you say? I live in Canada, and I'm 21. When I was smaller (the age where you loved building snow forts and playing in the snow) I distinctively remember huge mountains of snow piling up in my front yard...I mean huge, 7-10 feet piles that had to be plowed consistently from my driveway. I also remember halloweens where there was snow ( although not every one).
    Fast forward to they past two years, living in the same neighborhood, in the middle of December....barely two inches of snow. Whereas 8-10 years ago there was probably upwards of 2-3 on the ground, with a mountain 8 feet high on my yard.
    Thoughts?
    You know that Global Warming makes Summers warmer and Winters colder, do you?


    Additionally, there are even scientists who believe that the flatulences of dinosaurs have caused more CO2 emissions than humans nowadays.
    It's a continuous cycle, and humans are accelerating it a bit.

  18. #298
    I couldn't care less about global warming and here's why;

    Unless you all are willing to live the life style of a Cuban you will never be able to control it. Cap and trade has already proven to be ineffective in the E.U. and turns out to be just another market for some people to get rich. don't fool yourself. to save the planet you have to give up your modern lifestyle.. until you all come to that conclusion and act on it I'm just going to enjoy my modern life.

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    Thoughts?
    Easy.

    We don't know enough about the history of the global temperatures to know just how far and how fast things have gotten warmer.

    I'm not saying it's not happening, I should point that out, but I'm just saying the models used to show us we're doomed are horribly flawed and have been proved to be so:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...aggerated.html

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestay...ming-alarmism/

    Accurate records for temperature only go back about 100 years, before that you start having to use proxies and some of those used (especially for the Hockey Stick) were a bit suspect to start with.

    Again it's worth pointing out that it's not that I don't believe it's happening, I just think we don't know enough to call it so surely and more work (open and honest work) needs to be done to look into it.
    "The fact that you don't get it or like it is fine. The fact that you wanna ruin it for everyone else - that's why you're a cocksucker." - Bill Hicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The playerbase has been desiring this for years and when it's finally here, everyone wants to grab a pitchfork. Ridiculous. This community is disgustingly toxic.

  20. #300
    Only complete loons believe in "man-made" global warming.

    O sure, Earth's been here for like, forever, and we humans have changed the climate in a matter of a couple of centuries? Righttttt!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •