Page 16 of 65 FirstFirst ...
6
14
15
16
17
18
26
... LastLast
  1. #301
    Scarab Lord Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    4,252
    What man needs to do is start ADAPTING to the changes and stop crying about them
    Recognizing trends, discussing and interpreting them as well as working towards solutions IS adapting in it's purest form.

    The real issue is mans greed. Technology could be a lot greener right now if fossil fuels weren't so damn tempting easy and cheap.

    Just ask yourself why the EV1 was crushed, despite positive reactions of the testers.
    Just ask yourself why they always promise you Hydrogen fuel cell cars but never really deliver. (They don't really plan to, that technology is far more difficult to implement than a simple Akku+electric motor.)
    Most peoples "car needs" could be easily fulfilled by an electric car. They don't need huge PS, they don't need huge range.

    Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Wizard- (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    I'm not saying it's not happening, I should point that out, but I'm just saying the models used to show us we're doomed are horribly flawed and have been proved to be so:
    No they haven't. Besides, a couple of sensationalist news articles doesn't "prove" anything. The current scientific consensus on climate change exists, because that's what the science says is most likely correct. Or else you'd be linking actual studies Not that anyone is claiming we're "doomed" other than the skeptics who have apparently went from:

    1) "Earth is cooling!", to
    2) "Earth is not cooling or warming!", to
    3) "Earth is warming naturally!", to
    4) "Earth is warming and humans have an influence, but we don't know how much!", to finally
    5) "Earth is warming and we're causing it, but it's too late to stop it so fuck you all!"

    Incidentally most skeptics, like you, are still on stage 4. Despite the fact that, regardless of what you want to think, we do in fact know a great deal about this through very open and honest work that have established the current scientific consensus. The fact that you linked an article attacking a graph from way back to when science first tried to figure this thing out, says a lot about how you've not kept abreast with science in the past decade.

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    A volcano produces more bad stuff than humans do for a whole year in a matter of days when there's an eruption.. I'd believe it's more nature changing the climate due to volcanic activity. Just watch yellowstone when that has an eruption, then we can talk about climate changes..
    I think the Ocean, Volcanos and animals in general produce about 98-99% off the co2, I think it's even in that order. While 1% is still a decent amount, considering how many humans are out there and how many bad stuff we do I think it's fair to say that 99% natural co2 is worse. :P

    However we can be thankfull for global warming bullshit that some politicians are spreading...even if it is with the wrong arguments, it can't be bad to make our our life style more healthy.

  4. #304
    The earth goes through warm and cold phases, millions of years ago before man even had all these "greenhouse gasses" and shit, there was an ice age. how the hell do you think all of that ice melted if the earth does not warm up naturally.

    anyone who believes that CO2 is causing the climate change is stupid and hasn't looked at ALL of the facts, only the small selection of facts that has been sensationalized by politicians and the media
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I think the Ocean, Volcanos and animals in general produce about 98-99% off the co2, I think it's even in that order. While 1% is still a decent amount, considering how many humans are out there and how many bad stuff we do I think it's fair to say that 99% natural co2 is worse. :P
    This is such a shallow and wrong understanding of things. First of all, human emission is more like 4%. Secondly, the carbon cycle of nature is roughly in balance. Simplistically speaking, human carbon emission is adding 4% on top of what is otherwise a balanced equation, every year.

    Just that little extra may not seem like much. But it adds up. What's 4% extra per year, after 100 years?

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 01:10 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    anyone who believes that CO2 is causing the climate change is stupid and hasn't looked at ALL of the facts
    All the facts say increased CO2 is causing global warming. This is what scientists say - not politicians or media, many of whom very loudly and incorrect claim global warming isn't real without any evidence.

    only the small selection of facts that has been sensationalized by politicians and the media
    How ironic.

  6. #306
    I think everyone can agree that the world naturally goes through these climate cycles. Yes to some extent we may be hastening the process but by no means is it out of the normal things that happen on earth. Humans may have speed things up but the world isnt all of a sudden going to become mars because things warmed up a bit. We may yes lose some species but those species would have been lost when this happened naturally. I dont hear anyone freaking out about the last end of an iceage when the world lost the mega fauna. Yes we may have speed things up minutely but not to the ending of the civilized world. If it were tracking to an ice age we would actually be in trouble. Yes maybe dont really care.

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    I think everyone can agree that the world naturally goes through these climate cycles.
    No, not really. The Earth's climate change when factors emerge that causes it change, for instance a change in orbit, a change in atmospheric composition for whatever reason, a change in the Earth's tilt, and so on and so on. It is not however an actual cycle that the planet follows. Earth is under no obligation or law of nature to warm up and cool down and then warm up again. It just does whatever based on the situation.


    Yes to some extent we may be hastening the process but by no means is it out of the normal things that happen on earth.
    We're not hastening any process. We are creating a a new factor (anthroprogenic carbon emissions) that is directly changing the Earth's climate at a rate that is not seen in nature. It is in fact by every means out of the normal.


    I dont hear anyone freaking out about the last end of an iceage when the world lost the mega fauna.
    Maybe because we don't live then? We live at now.

  8. #308
    Scarab Lord Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    4,252
    Just on an unrelated side note: I find it quite hilarious that everybody is so concerned about a little CO² but back in the day we detonated countless "testing nukes" in earths oceans just "for the lulz".

    I wonder what the fallout of that procedure is / will be. (pun intended)

    Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Wizard- (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Just on an unrelated side note: I find it quite hilarious that everybody is so concerned about a little CO² but back in the day we detonated countless "testing nukes" in earths oceans just "for the lulz".
    Atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration is now at its highest level since the dawn of our species. It is not "a little" by any reasonable measure (from the perspective of humans).

    but back in the day we detonated countless "testing nukes" in earths oceans just "for the lulz".
    And that's why we had the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, way back in 1963.

  10. #310
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    563
    Ok, according to wikipedia
    "Effects significant to humans include the threat to food security from decreasing crop yields and the loss of habitat from inundation."
    Why should i care? It's not that UNEXPECTEDLY some people stop getting food and die. It's that sloooowly some regions may become uninhabitant due to lack of food/water or due to critically high/low temperature. So what? People will just move to other places, less chilldren will be born, what's so bad about it? The population of our planes is already too high. I should decrease, naturally, not by wars. And it's not a problem.
    I'm fine with that.

  11. #311
    It is very easy not to believe in global warming, or to be more precise it is easy not to believe in global warming caused by humanity.

    Temperature has gone up and down in earth history. What we expierience now is not off the scale and within the limits the temperature on earth had changed in the past.
    So from this point of view, what he have now is nothing special.

  12. #312
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Temperature has gone up and down in earth history. What we expierience now is not off the scale and within the limits the temperature on earth had changed in the past.
    So from this point of view, what he have now is nothing special.
    Except it is happening with speeds that are in fact quite special. Because it is not a natural change, it is a changed caused by human activities.

  13. #313
    Scarab Lord MasterOfKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBrems View Post
    Bullshit! It was all green last year. At least here in the Copenhagen-area.
    Lucky Copenhagen guys, we here in Aalborg have been frozen for the last 3 or 4 years. Sucks big time.

    Anyways, climate changes are happening, but not to such a sick extent that it hasn't happened before, so I don't really care.

  14. #314
    Scarab Lord Trollskalden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I mörkaste Småland
    Posts
    4,128
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Because people have to use the word "believe". The evidence for an accelerated global warming based on human activity is quite interesting and compelling. The body of research is extremely well reviewed and founded.

    From my perspective, I feel that the extent and focus on human activity is greatly exaggerated within certain quarters. You'll often find it goes back into Green Industries. By all accounts I agree we have a real influence on global weather patterns and conditions, but this idea that we're 'destroying the planet' is absurd. We need significantly more funding into research that examines the long curve of temperature patterns on Earth.

    I do however support all policies that are of a direct benefit to the ecology of the planet, which includes the move towards "green" industries.
    I agree with this.

    I think we're affecting the planet a lot, but I simply can't see half the planet as a sandy wasteland in 20-30 years, though I wouldn't be surprised that by the 22th century it'll be. That said, I still feel we need to move towards greener industries not due to global warming, but due to the upcoming shortage of oil, though I'm convinced that technology will come up with a solution rather fast were we to almost empty our entire oil reserve.

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I think we're affecting the planet a lot, but I simply can't see half the planet as a sandy wasteland in 20-30 years
    Yes but nobody says it will be. Except for the global warming deniers trying to straw man science.

  16. #316
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    640
    If you don't believe in global warming, you must be an idiot. Pretty sure global temperatures have been rising.

  17. #317
    Scarab Lord Trollskalden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I mörkaste Småland
    Posts
    4,128
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Yes but nobody says it will be. Except for the global warming deniers trying to straw man science.
    I'm confused about what you're on about. There are many headlines that says "PARIS WILL BE A DESERT WASTELAND IN 2030/2040/2050" where I live, I just have a hard time believing that. How is that denying global warming?

  18. #318
    http://voices.yahoo.com/global-warmi...w-1391433.html
    </thread>

    Seriously, it is not constant warming, it is waves. Climate is going to warmer for several years and then back to colder, repeating this pattern for who know how many hundred years.
    There's passage in Pushkin's "Eugene Onegin":

    Winter held back, Nature awaited,
    In January only snow fell at last
    On the third, at night.

    It was published in serial form between 1825 and 1832. CO2 emission? Factories? Yeah, right.

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I'm confused about what you're on about. There are many headlines that says "PARIS WILL BE A DESERT WASTELAND IN 2030/2040/2050" where I live, I just have a hard time believing that. How is that denying global warming?
    Not you. I'm saying the only people writing such articles are people trying to strawman science, since real science does not say anything of the sort.

    And while I can't read Swedish (is it?), I have trouble believing that there is all that many news saying something so nonsensical. I sure haven't seen any.

  20. #320
    High Overlord Charliesheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Just on an unrelated side note: I find it quite hilarious that everybody is so concerned about a little CO² but back in the day we detonated countless "testing nukes" in earths oceans just "for the lulz".

    I wonder what the fallout of that procedure is / will be. (pun intended)
    I believe the steel post nuclear fallout can't be used in space (the steel must have been made before it) this is due to higher radiation levels my geology professor said something about it a few days ago...but I may be Wrong as I tend to imagine things...alot

    Sheen out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •