Page 1 of 65
... LastLast

How could you NOT believe in global warming?

This isn't a statistical thread proving that scientifically, global warming must be true. However, it's just become so clear in my eyes that global warming has been occurring that it just seems obvious.
    How ,you say? I live in Canada, and I'm 21. When I was smaller (the age where you loved building snow forts and playing in the snow) I distinctively remember huge mountains of snow piling up in my front yard...I mean huge, 7-10 feet piles that had to be plowed consistently from my driveway. I also remember halloweens where there was snow ( although not every one).
    Fast forward to they past two years, living in the same neighborhood, in the middle of December....barely two inches of snow. Whereas 8-10 years ago there was probably upwards of 2-3 on the ground, with a mountain 8 feet high on my yard.
    Thoughts?

Hey man, I believe in Global Warming too. However, I live in Canada and wanted to point out, in the olden days, most municipalities would collect the snow from the road and dump it in people's front yard. Nowadays, it is hauled out to designated sites. Has something to do with preventing overflow into the sewer system when summer hits, I am not 100% on the exact reason why but wanted to point out that, likely, that is the reason why you do not have large mounds of snow in your front yard any-more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    Thoughts?
    Most people will agree that climate change -- the increased average temperatures with more severe weather -- is occuring.

Not everyone will agree that climate change is caused by global warming -- mankind's activities on earth are causing climate change.

That is the difference that many people don't understand in this debate. It's not that people debate climate change, it's that people don't believe humans are causing it.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Deleted
    Global warming is a scientic theory (at least the part about co2 being the cause of it). Like other science it's based off a series of qualified guess', therefore you should have doubts, even if they are very limited. What we could be seeing could just be the beginning of a warming cycle (which has happened many times before).

Also pullying on personal experince in a global event is like saying you have no clue what you're talking about.

Too many variables and earths own natural cycles are the reasons i believe it is an open debate.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's actually real simple, once you get your brain around the majority of those people who don't believe, realise that their life is not infinite and therefor, couldn't care less about how much or how little was left after they have left, nor are they interested in any progress of evolution as a whole, they are never going to change, and simply don't care about the facts. Then you will also realis it doesn't matter if they believe or not, they are married to their own beliefs and no amount of evidence they are going to allow to change it.

well, here in denmark, we have, for the first time in 500 years, had 3 white winters in a row. I could use some global warming right now, it's freezing cold out there!

on the other hand, we are heading towards a new ice age, so i'm not really surprised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    This isn't a statistical thread proving that scientifically, global warming must be true. However, it's just become so clear in my eyes that global warming has been occurring that it just seems obvious.
    How ,you say? I live in Canada, and I'm 21. When I was smaller (the age where you loved building snow forts and playing in the snow) I distinctively remember huge mountains of snow piling up in my front yard...I mean huge, 7-10 feet piles that had to be plowed consistently from my driveway. I also remember halloweens where there was snow ( although not every one).
    Fast forward to they past two years, living in the same neighborhood, in the middle of December....barely two inches of snow. Whereas 8-10 years ago there was probably upwards of 2-3 on the ground, with a mountain 8 feet high on my yard.
    Thoughts?
    Very limited "evidence". Also, what Lenonis said.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Garkanh View Post
    well, here in denmark, we have, for the first time in 500 years, had 3 white winters in a row. I could use some global warming right now, it's freezing cold out there!

on the other hand, we are heading towards a new ice age, so i'm not really surprised.
    Bullshit! It was all green last year. At least here in the Copenhagen-area.

10+ Year Old Account
    this thread again... its cold as fck here as it always have been during the winter, some mild climate shifts maybe but its far from tropical land i've been promised 10 years ago^^

people desperately want to believe global warming is not caused by humans so they don't have to change their lazy ass habits or do anything differently and still be able to sleep soundly at night. so they believe the like 4 oil industry paid "scientists" who's best effort is "it's inconclusive" instead of the entire scientific community.

they're the same people that would have been swearing up and down that the world was flat in the medeivel ages.

Deleted
    Its called climate change, which is also more accurate anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    this thread again... its cold as fck here as it always have been during the winter, some mild climate shifts maybe but its far from tropical land i've been promised 10 years ago^^

And the fact that you make this ignorant quote clearly suggest you don't know the first thing about global warming, what it is, how it is actually effecting the earth and the fact WE are causing it.

Maybe you are trying to be funny, but you aren't. and it isn't cute it is willful ignorance, and its doing a lot of harm.

Cherry picking, cherry picking everywhere up in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

It's because people are so quick to throw out personal anecdotes to back it up, which usually demonstrate that you don't even know the magnitude of the temperature changes, so it's unlikely that you've ever done any critical skeptical thinking about the data.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it isnt just climate change, its Global warming, and to call it climate change is just an Ultra lazy PC Buzzword used to make typically right wingers feel less guilty than they should about their ignorance concerning the matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anecdotal evidence is not evidence for or against global warming. There is a phenomenon known as weather cycles. Sometimes the planet or a region trends warmer or cooler in a span of years. Sometimes there is drought. Sometimes there are floods. The REAL question of global warming is not whether it occurs or not (obviously it does, just as global cooling does) but whether the change is caused by man made pollutants or not. Are we accelerating warming to the point of possible catastrophe? Or does Mother Nature compensate for cyclical changes from whatever cause? The real question (world changing question) is if humans ceased to create any "greenhouse gases" would the earth continue to warm anyway? Or would there be a noticeable reversion of the current trend? Quick answer: we may never know. Ceasing all operations that produce these "pollutants" would crash the world economy faster than you can say "Bingo"! Personally I tend to disbelieve all the sky is falling pundits, but I have not made up my mind in respect to this issue with a comfortable margin of error. Besides the world ends on 12/21/12 anyway according to the Mayan calendar...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes, she would destroy me and my raging boner.
    In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Global warming is a scientic theory (at least the part about co2 being the cause of it). Like other science it's based off a series of qualified guess', therefore you should have doubts, even if they are very limited. What we could be seeing could just be the beginning of a warming cycle (which has happened many times before).

Also pullying on personal experince in a global event is like saying you have no clue what you're talking about.
    Theory in science doesn't mean guess, in fact it's far from it. Gravity is a theory, but there is a 0% chance of you, or anyone else, randomly floating away for no reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Deleted
    Lol its just the fucking planets fucking cycles..there are cycles when it cools down alot and heats up alot... our little shit on this planet only speeds the process up... but its inevitable either way :*

EDIT:Governements and people just use this to milk alot of money from people..

I believe in climate change caused by natural cycles of Sun and Earth. We're still recovering from the latest Ice Age period and planet's gonna get warmer regardless what we do.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    A volcano produces more bad stuff than humans do for a whole year in a matter of days when there's an eruption.. I'd believe it's more nature changing the climate due to volcanic activity. Just watch yellowstone when that has an eruption, then we can talk about climate changes..