Page 12 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Earth naturally goes through periods of heating and cooling. I have seen nothing that convinces me that with out a doubt this is any different then one of the many heating periods we have had in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayier View Post
    The Earth naturally goes through periods of heating and cooling. I have seen nothing that convinces me that with out a doubt this is any different then one of the many heating periods we have had in the past.
    Could somebody link the massive body of evidence again? Posts like these make me sad.

Because of threads like this that try to stifle debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Could somebody link the massive body of evidence again? Posts like these make me sad.
    I always feel like this is a pretty good start: http://climate.nasa.gov/key_indicators/

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm wrapping up a course on Science and Pseudoscience, and one of the topics we're ending with is Global Warming. And man, this entire debate is so fucking fabricated it makes me mad.

Are you talking about solar activity? It's down, not up. That's one of the big points that lets us know that our GHG emissions are relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Most people will agree that climate change -- the increased average temperatures with more severe weather -- is occuring.

Not everyone will agree that climate change is caused by global warming -- mankind's activities on earth are causing climate change.

That is the difference that many people don't understand in this debate. It's not that people debate climate change, it's that people don't believe humans are causing it.
    If they aren't climate scientists their opinions don't matter, that is the real issue that people don't understand.

Its a read herring anyhow to distract from the real issue, regulating pollution. Even if there is no man made effect on the climate, we know CO2 pollution acidifies the oceans and causes coral reef bleaching which impacts the food chain further on down the line. No one debates this, yet action is cock-blocked over climate change is a myth.

400 thousand years ago is the oldest sample for the global CO2 level?

Well that's like me counting how many hairs are on a 95 year olds mans head 2 days in a row, and creating a correlation from those data samples that describe his hair when he was 2 years old.

In all honesty, we don't know the extent of our effect on the climate.

Still I'd rather get food/money/resources distributed more evenly around the world before we worry about something we can't even measure properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe I saw a study where they said that global temperatures had only increased 1 degree Celsius in the last 10-20 years(can't remember which) so it's not as drastic of an effect as people believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    I believe I saw a study where they said that global temperatures had only increased 1 degree Celsius in the last 10-20 years(can't remember which) so it's not as drastic of an effect as people believe.
    Except that's one study. Against the multitudes of others that say otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Except that's one study. Against the multitudes of others that say otherwise.
    well out of all the global warming studies i've seen, hardly any state how high temperatures have risen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Global temperatures haven't gone up a single degree in 100 years: https://www2.ucar.edu/climate/faq/ho...last-100-years

Being a climate change scientist just gives you perspective - it does not mean people lacking that background cannot understand evidence and draw their own conclusions. Math is math.

Doesn't mean global temp. change isn't occurring or that pollution isn't the real problem. Got to ask though what is an appropriate response.

Bigger issues:

1. pollution killing food supply/poisoning water supply

2. growing scarcity of drinking water.

3. Increasing fluctuations in rainy seasons across the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    How in the actual fuck do you believe that to not be a large effect?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    How in the actual fuck do you believe that to not be a large effect?
    Small numbers man! It's only a big change if it's in the double digits!

Read your own fucking link.

The fact is that around 1970 there were 6 times as many scientists predicting a warming rather than a cooling planet. Today, with 30+years more data to analyse, we've reached a clear scientific consensus: 97% of working climate scientists agree with the view that human beings are causing global warming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    This isn't a statistical thread proving that scientifically, global warming must be true. However, it's just become so clear in my eyes that global warming has been occurring that it just seems obvious.
    How ,you say? I live in Canada, and I'm 21. When I was smaller (the age where you loved building snow forts and playing in the snow) I distinctively remember huge mountains of snow piling up in my front yard...I mean huge, 7-10 feet piles that had to be plowed consistently from my driveway. I also remember halloweens where there was snow ( although not every one).
    Fast forward to they past two years, living in the same neighborhood, in the middle of December....barely two inches of snow. Whereas 8-10 years ago there was probably upwards of 2-3 on the ground, with a mountain 8 feet high on my yard.
    Thoughts?
    People do believe in GW. Even the ones that say they don't. People that talk about the threat of Global Warming are usually on the liberal side, and that alone makes people who are on the extreme right to deny global warming. It's part of the immaturity of politics.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't believe it, now what? do i go back to the end of the line.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    well first things first...
    less snow definitely doesnt mean less temperature... the lower the temperature the lower the air humidity -> the less snow can build.

Then there is no way that YOU can tell any difference... unless you live in antarctica or other... hotspots... (har har) where the average temperature is rising steadily...
    But in countries like mine the average temp grew from 9.5°C to 9,6°C within my current lifespan... which is only a tiny bit higher than yours (OP).
    So from my perspective, my objective perspective! its not warming (+-0,1° is estimated error-tolerance).

Thus I can only tell from a subjective view that the globus is warming up, because I can only tell by other sources than mine. (I never went to antarctica to check it myself)
    And I dont believe everything coming from the internet or TV.

And still I believe in global warming, even though I have enough reasons to doubt... and after all, I also believe that 90% is natural, 9,9% caused by industry and cattle-farms and only 0,1% by the average human society... thus... YOU cant do anything about it but move away from coastal areas...
    Last edited by Draqson; 2012-12-11 at 04:36 AM.

I'll go with proven scientific data that is out there showing how the earth is now in a cooling stage and not warming up. The earth goes through a cooling/heating up cycle.

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow...192334971.html
    The new NASA Terra satellite data are consistent with long-term NOAA and NASA data indicating atmospheric humidity and cirrus clouds are not increasing in the manner predicted by alarmist computer models. The Terra satellite data also support data collected by NASA's ERBS satellite showing far more longwave radiation (and thus, heat) escaped into space between 1985 and 1999 than alarmist computer models had predicted. Together, the NASA ERBS and Terra satellite data show that for 25 years and counting, carbon dioxide emissions have directly and indirectly trapped far less heat than alarmist computer models have predicted.
    http://www.newsmax.com/marcmorano/ev...0/24/id/415507
    The Antarctic sea ice extent has been at or near record extent in past few summers; the Arctic has rebounded in recent years since the low point in 2007; polar bears are thriving; sea level is not showing acceleration and is actually dropping; Cholera and Malaria are failing to follow global warming predictions; and Mount Kilimanjaro melt fears are being made a mockery by gains in snow cover.

Furthermore, global temperatures have been holding steady for a decade or more; deaths due to extreme weather are radically declining; global tropical cyclone activity is near historic lows, the frequency of major U.S. hurricanes has declined, the oceans are missing their predicted heat content; big tornados have dramatically declined since the 1970s, droughts are not historically unusual nor caused by mankind; and there is no evidence we in currently having unusual weather.

Meanwhile, scandals continue to rock the climate fear movement, the U.N. IPCC has been exposed as being a hotbed of environmental activists and scientists continue to dissent at a rapid pace.
    I'm sure if you google you can find more infomation about it.