Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Professor Charlie Sheen In the house to educate y'all
    Fact: The Earth is currently way below average temperature, due to recovery from the previous ice age
    Fact: Sea levels are currently one of the lowest they have ever been
    Fact: The earth goes through cycles of hot and cold (similar to Katy perrys top hit song)
    Fact: We are leaving a cold cycle and entering a hotter cycle, thus temperatures will increase
    Fact: Humans are contributing to global warming
    Debateable: How much humans are contributing to global warming, personally I believe it is very little in the grand scheme of things

Consider yourself educated tiger blood style
    (Sources - An Education in Geography and Geology, and generally not being an uneducated idiot)

Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    This isn't a statistical thread proving that scientifically, global warming must be true. However, it's just become so clear in my eyes that global warming has been occurring that it just seems obvious.
    How ,you say? I live in Canada, and I'm 21. When I was smaller (the age where you loved building snow forts and playing in the snow) I distinctively remember huge mountains of snow piling up in my front yard...I mean huge, 7-10 feet piles that had to be plowed consistently from my driveway. I also remember halloweens where there was snow ( although not every one).
    Fast forward to they past two years, living in the same neighborhood, in the middle of December....barely two inches of snow. Whereas 8-10 years ago there was probably upwards of 2-3 on the ground, with a mountain 8 feet high on my yard.
    Thoughts?
    You know that Global Warming makes Summers warmer and Winters colder, do you?

Additionally, there are even scientists who believe that the flatulences of dinosaurs have caused more CO2 emissions than humans nowadays.
    It's a continuous cycle, and humans are accelerating it a bit.

I couldn't care less about global warming and here's why;

Unless you all are willing to live the life style of a Cuban you will never be able to control it. Cap and trade has already proven to be ineffective in the E.U. and turns out to be just another market for some people to get rich. don't fool yourself. to save the planet you have to give up your modern lifestyle.. until you all come to that conclusion and act on it I'm just going to enjoy my modern life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    Thoughts?
    Easy.

We don't know enough about the history of the global temperatures to know just how far and how fast things have gotten warmer.

I'm not saying it's not happening, I should point that out, but I'm just saying the models used to show us we're doomed are horribly flawed and have been proved to be so:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...aggerated.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestay...ming-alarmism/

Accurate records for temperature only go back about 100 years, before that you start having to use proxies and some of those used (especially for the Hockey Stick) were a bit suspect to start with.

Again it's worth pointing out that it's not that I don't believe it's happening, I just think we don't know enough to call it so surely and more work (open and honest work) needs to be done to look into it.

Only complete loons believe in "man-made" global warming.

O sure, Earth's been here for like, forever, and we humans have changed the climate in a matter of a couple of centuries? Righttttt!

10+ Year Old Account
    What man needs to do is start ADAPTING to the changes and stop crying about them
    Recognizing trends, discussing and interpreting them as well as working towards solutions IS adapting in it's purest form.

The real issue is mans greed. Technology could be a lot greener right now if fossil fuels weren't so damn tempting easy and cheap.

Just ask yourself why the EV1 was crushed, despite positive reactions of the testers.
    Just ask yourself why they always promise you Hydrogen fuel cell cars but never really deliver. (They don't really plan to, that technology is far more difficult to implement than a simple Akku+electric motor.)
    Most peoples "car needs" could be easily fulfilled by an electric car. They don't need huge PS, they don't need huge range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    I'm not saying it's not happening, I should point that out, but I'm just saying the models used to show us we're doomed are horribly flawed and have been proved to be so:
    No they haven't. Besides, a couple of sensationalist news articles doesn't "prove" anything. The current scientific consensus on climate change exists, because that's what the science says is most likely correct. Or else you'd be linking actual studies Not that anyone is claiming we're "doomed" other than the skeptics who have apparently went from:

1) "Earth is cooling!", to
    2) "Earth is not cooling or warming!", to
    3) "Earth is warming naturally!", to
    4) "Earth is warming and humans have an influence, but we don't know how much!", to finally
    5) "Earth is warming and we're causing it, but it's too late to stop it so fuck you all!"

Incidentally most skeptics, like you, are still on stage 4. Despite the fact that, regardless of what you want to think, we do in fact know a great deal about this through very open and honest work that have established the current scientific consensus. The fact that you linked an article attacking a graph from way back to when science first tried to figure this thing out, says a lot about how you've not kept abreast with science in the past decade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    A volcano produces more bad stuff than humans do for a whole year in a matter of days when there's an eruption.. I'd believe it's more nature changing the climate due to volcanic activity. Just watch yellowstone when that has an eruption, then we can talk about climate changes..
    I think the Ocean, Volcanos and animals in general produce about 98-99% off the co2, I think it's even in that order. While 1% is still a decent amount, considering how many humans are out there and how many bad stuff we do I think it's fair to say that 99% natural co2 is worse. :P

However we can be thankfull for global warming bullshit that some politicians are spreading...even if it is with the wrong arguments, it can't be bad to make our our life style more healthy.

The earth goes through warm and cold phases, millions of years ago before man even had all these "greenhouse gasses" and shit, there was an ice age. how the hell do you think all of that ice melted if the earth does not warm up naturally.

anyone who believes that CO2 is causing the climate change is stupid and hasn't looked at ALL of the facts, only the small selection of facts that has been sensationalized by politicians and the media
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I think the Ocean, Volcanos and animals in general produce about 98-99% off the co2, I think it's even in that order. While 1% is still a decent amount, considering how many humans are out there and how many bad stuff we do I think it's fair to say that 99% natural co2 is worse. :P
    This is such a shallow and wrong understanding of things. First of all, human emission is more like 4%. Secondly, the carbon cycle of nature is roughly in balance. Simplistically speaking, human carbon emission is adding 4% on top of what is otherwise a balanced equation, every year.

Just that little extra may not seem like much. But it adds up. What's 4% extra per year, after 100 years?

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    anyone who believes that CO2 is causing the climate change is stupid and hasn't looked at ALL of the facts
    All the facts say increased CO2 is causing global warming. This is what scientists say - not politicians or media, many of whom very loudly and incorrect claim global warming isn't real without any evidence.

only the small selection of facts that has been sensationalized by politicians and the media
    How ironic.

I think everyone can agree that the world naturally goes through these climate cycles. Yes to some extent we may be hastening the process but by no means is it out of the normal things that happen on earth. Humans may have speed things up but the world isnt all of a sudden going to become mars because things warmed up a bit. We may yes lose some species but those species would have been lost when this happened naturally. I dont hear anyone freaking out about the last end of an iceage when the world lost the mega fauna. Yes we may have speed things up minutely but not to the ending of the civilized world. If it were tracking to an ice age we would actually be in trouble. Yes maybe dont really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    I think everyone can agree that the world naturally goes through these climate cycles.
    No, not really. The Earth's climate change when factors emerge that causes it change, for instance a change in orbit, a change in atmospheric composition for whatever reason, a change in the Earth's tilt, and so on and so on. It is not however an actual cycle that the planet follows. Earth is under no obligation or law of nature to warm up and cool down and then warm up again. It just does whatever based on the situation.

Yes to some extent we may be hastening the process but by no means is it out of the normal things that happen on earth.
    We're not hastening any process. We are creating a a new factor (anthroprogenic carbon emissions) that is directly changing the Earth's climate at a rate that is not seen in nature. It is in fact by every means out of the normal.

I dont hear anyone freaking out about the last end of an iceage when the world lost the mega fauna.
    Maybe because we don't live then? We live at now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just on an unrelated side note: I find it quite hilarious that everybody is so concerned about a little CO² but back in the day we detonated countless "testing nukes" in earths oceans just "for the lulz".

I wonder what the fallout of that procedure is / will be. (pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Just on an unrelated side note: I find it quite hilarious that everybody is so concerned about a little CO² but back in the day we detonated countless "testing nukes" in earths oceans just "for the lulz".
    Atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration is now at its highest level since the dawn of our species. It is not "a little" by any reasonable measure (from the perspective of humans).

but back in the day we detonated countless "testing nukes" in earths oceans just "for the lulz".
    And that's why we had the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, way back in 1963.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, according to wikipedia
    "Effects significant to humans include the threat to food security from decreasing crop yields and the loss of habitat from inundation."
    Why should i care? It's not that UNEXPECTEDLY some people stop getting food and die. It's that sloooowly some regions may become uninhabitant due to lack of food/water or due to critically high/low temperature. So what? People will just move to other places, less chilldren will be born, what's so bad about it? The population of our planes is already too high. I should decrease, naturally, not by wars. And it's not a problem.
    I'm fine with that.

It is very easy not to believe in global warming, or to be more precise it is easy not to believe in global warming caused by humanity.

Temperature has gone up and down in earth history. What we expierience now is not off the scale and within the limits the temperature on earth had changed in the past.
    So from this point of view, what he have now is nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Temperature has gone up and down in earth history. What we expierience now is not off the scale and within the limits the temperature on earth had changed in the past.
    So from this point of view, what he have now is nothing special.
    Except it is happening with speeds that are in fact quite special. Because it is not a natural change, it is a changed caused by human activities.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBrems View Post
    Bullshit! It was all green last year. At least here in the Copenhagen-area.
    Lucky Copenhagen guys, we here in Aalborg have been frozen for the last 3 or 4 years. Sucks big time.

Anyways, climate changes are happening, but not to such a sick extent that it hasn't happened before, so I don't really care.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Because people have to use the word "believe". The evidence for an accelerated global warming based on human activity is quite interesting and compelling. The body of research is extremely well reviewed and founded.

From my perspective, I feel that the extent and focus on human activity is greatly exaggerated within certain quarters. You'll often find it goes back into Green Industries. By all accounts I agree we have a real influence on global weather patterns and conditions, but this idea that we're 'destroying the planet' is absurd. We need significantly more funding into research that examines the long curve of temperature patterns on Earth.

I do however support all policies that are of a direct benefit to the ecology of the planet, which includes the move towards "green" industries.
    I agree with this.

I think we're affecting the planet a lot, but I simply can't see half the planet as a sandy wasteland in 20-30 years, though I wouldn't be surprised that by the 22th century it'll be. That said, I still feel we need to move towards greener industries not due to global warming, but due to the upcoming shortage of oil, though I'm convinced that technology will come up with a solution rather fast were we to almost empty our entire oil reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I think we're affecting the planet a lot, but I simply can't see half the planet as a sandy wasteland in 20-30 years
    Yes but nobody says it will be. Except for the global warming deniers trying to straw man science.