Page 61 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Seriously, it would help if you actually factchecked your own sources. Since you apparently read the same Daily Mail article, and didn't catch that the Met office had responded and called it out for misleading the public as to what their report actually showed.
    It's almost as if these people are not even trying.

End game for pro global warming people = $8 light bulbs bought from ge, who funds these bias studies. They restart the study if they dont get the results they were paid to find, they dont publish them.

Inc, wacko scientists who's livleyhoods depend on it being true.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    End game for pro global warming people = $8 light bulbs bought from ge, who funds these bias studies. They restart the study if they dont get the results they were paid to find, they dont publish them.

Yea all the wacko scientists in every single science academy in the world, versus your opinion. OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm pro global warming (whatever that means), and I don't want to see $8 light bulbs.

The truth is, results can be fabricated (picking and choosing start and stop dates), but the actual science cannot.

Remember when big oil (Koch) funded an AGW study? The science confirmed humans as a cause. Ooops.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

15+ Year Old Account

I bought a large pack of those energy efficient lightbulbs that are guaranteed to last 10 years 12 years ago, they're all still working and not a single one has blown out. Usually blew at least one light bulb every 2-3 months before that. I must refer back to the "what if GCC turns out to be a hoax and we make a better world for nothing" comic.

You can still buy the $1 light bulbs that last 6 months... don't see why you'd want to though when you can buy $8 light bulbs that last for 12+ years. It's just common sense economics, especially when they use less power.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2013-01-14 at 09:09 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    I bought a large pack of those energy efficient lightbulbs that are guaranteed to last 10 years 12 years ago, they're all still working and not a single one has blown out. Usually blew at least one light bulb every 2-3 months before that. I must refer back to the "what if GCC turns out to be a hoax and we make a better world for nothing" comic.

You can still buy the $1 light bulbs that last 6 months... don't see why you'd want to though when you can buy $8 light bulbs that last for 12+ years. It's just common sense economics, especially when they use less power.
    It would be, except that I've bought literally hundreds (my house, fully stocked, needs about 80 bulbs) of those bulbs, and they rarely last a even year.

I guess what we have have here is a case of conflicting anecdotes.

(Oh yea... The light from a couple 40-watt standard soft-white bulbs is soooooo much nicer than a compact fluorescent. I have CFL's throughout the house, but I have standard bulbs in my office and reading area.)
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    It would be, except that I've bought literally hundreds (my house, fully stocked, needs about 80 bulbs) of those bulbs, and they rarely last a even year.

I guess what we have have here is a case of conflicting anecdotes.

(Oh yea... The light from a couple 40-watt standard soft-white bulbs is soooooo much nicer than a compact fluorescent. I have CFL's throughout the house, but I have standard bulbs in my office and reading area.)
    Because like all modern technology, its made to fail.
    Loads of things are made to fail, laptops, printers, cellphones, cars...
    We have tech to make things last almost indefinitly but its "bad for the almighty market" so instead of persuading people to upgrade with actual developments and innovation, they force them due to made to fail fabrications.

Look at this for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light
    Or just noticing how you still have working cars from the 60, 70. 90s and somehow modern cars seem to start having problems after 5 years.
    There are some companies that get a lot of flak for that, apple being one of the biggest (their bateries are made to die after 2 years if i recall?) and they are stupid-expensive.

There are (were?) several sites actually with how to prevent things from failing or how to fix them, one of the most hilarious examples are printers and printer ink, to the point where it had a reset button on them that you could access after mild disassembly, that would make it suddenly have a lot of ink again (it had a timer to make it notify the printer that its out of ink after a while).
    Or how old printers you could print so darn much, modern seem to get out of ink real fast somehow
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-01-14 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Who needs to fact-check sources when you're "right?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Not trying? I'll have you know it takes me a lot of effort to ignore 90% of the articles!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    It's also interesting to note that a lot of deniers, who originally denied the "conclusive date," now accept said data, and have moved the goal posts to positive feedback loops. This way they can accept that humans do cause warming, but that it won't be as bad as we think, so therefore we shouldn't act.
    The evolution of Climate Change Skepticism Denialism:

1. It's not happening and we aren't causing it!
    2. It's might be happening but we aren't causing it!
    3. It's happening but we aren't causing it!
    4. It's happening and we might be causing it, but I'm too ignorant to be sure!
    5. It's happening but we only cause a little of it, so don't do anything!
    6. It's happening and we are causing it, but it's not bad enough to need action!
    7. It's happening and we are causing it and it's terrible, but it's too late do anything about it so fuck us

Deleted
    The problem with most hippies in this thread is that they want to destroy the world to save the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    The problem with most hippies in this thread is that they want to destroy the world to save the world.
    We want to destroy the world by convincing people that anthroprogenic climate change is real?

No ones even talking about solutions in this thread. We're too busy combating debunked claims.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might want to provide something more meaningful than hollow rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    To the scientists, they're not. To the advocates and politicians, they might as well be.
    Scientists and advocates are not mutually exclusive groups.

15+ Year Old Account
    Been a long time since I limited this issue to US<->rest of the sane world.
    Sad part is we had our shot in the western world, it is hard to deny the developing world their chance to prosper by telling them NO - dont polute!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Been a long time since I limited this issue to US<->rest of the world.
    Sad part is we had our shot in the western world, it is hard to deny the developing world their chance to prosper by telling them NO - dont polute!
    Actually, if anything the developing countries are bigger polluters (when accounting for size and total power used) than the developed world, an effect of having energy-producing technology from the developed world without the infrastructure in place to streamline and maximize the energy gained. That and in areas where there is instability, setting up renewable energy-utilizing systems is simply unfeasible.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-01-15 at 12:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    The evolution of Climate Change Skepticism Denialism:

1. It's not happening and we aren't causing it!
    2. It's might be happening but we aren't causing it!
    3. It's happening but we aren't causing it!
    4. It's happening and we might be causing it, but I'm too ignorant to be sure!
    5. It's happening but we only cause a little of it, so don't do anything!
    6. It's happening and we are causing it, but it's not bad enough to need action!
    7. It's happening and we are causing it and it's terrible, but it's too late do anything about it so fuck us
    lol so true

if only everyone could realize this

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Actually, if anything the developing countries are bigger polluters (when accounting for size and total power used) than the developed world, an effect of having energy-producing technology from the developed world without the infrastructure in place to streamline and maximize the energy gained. That and in areas where there is instability, setting up renewable energy-utilizing systems is simply unfeasible.
    Yea, that is my point. We in the western world had our "trial run", did they?
    They are already behind by definition, then what happens? We tell them stop and freaking relax and use measures they cant even afford cos their current solution polute too much.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

If these "hippies" can destroy the world with efficient light bulbs and good mileage then give up, you already lost.

Welcome your new hippie overlords.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think people are stuck in a time warp of 40-50 years ago when the only people that wanted to "save the earth" were pot smokers. These days it's scientists and most of the developed world. Some people are just behind the times.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    This isn't a statistical thread proving that scientifically, global warming must be true. However, it's just become so clear in my eyes that global warming has been occurring that it just seems obvious.
    How ,you say? I live in Canada, and I'm 21. When I was smaller (the age where you loved building snow forts and playing in the snow) I distinctively remember huge mountains of snow piling up in my front yard...I mean huge, 7-10 feet piles that had to be plowed consistently from my driveway. I also remember halloweens where there was snow ( although not every one).
    Fast forward to they past two years, living in the same neighborhood, in the middle of December....barely two inches of snow. Whereas 8-10 years ago there was probably upwards of 2-3 on the ground, with a mountain 8 feet high on my yard.
    Thoughts?
    OP posts like this make me NOT want to believe in global warming. 1st, "This isn't a statistical thread proving that scientifically, global warming must be true." But with said title, "How could you NOT believe in global warming?" Definitely seems like a horrible way to start a thread.

2nd, point to the evidence "at my house 8 years ago...." has zero basis in fact and as thus can be completely disregarded.

There have been many threads about global warming in this off-topic forum, and it usually has the pro-global warming saying "give me a study to back up your claims or gtfo." Now we have this thread with no evidence, just 1 subjective observation from somewhere in Canada...