Protection for RBGS

Currently lvling a paladin to 90 and I kind of want to go protection in RBGS. Is it viable/something people want in their group? How would I go on about doing this? Stats/gemming/gear?

Played since vanilla with breaks every now and then, MoP brought major changes to the game so I feel kind of lost.

Any advice is appreciated, tyvm.

Not sure about how much you'd be taken (possibly as a flag carrier), but a prot paladin can pretty much totally lock-down a caster, between Fist of Justice, Rebuke, Avenger's Shield, Arcane Torrent as a blood-elf, Blinding Light there isn't much that can get casted successfully.

So I'll have a hard time to find a team/group for RBG as prot?

I don't PVP but even I can tell you that Prot is dead in the water in all current battlegrounds/arenas.

Simply put, without vengeance we have nothing.

For a prot pvp class try Warrior.

Deleted
    Luciferiuz is right. It's very frustrating but Blizzard just does not want to bother making tanks viable in pvp. And worse, will hammer them whenever they show signs of being viable. (Bye bye blood DKs.)

But if you really want to play a paladin and like protection, and I certainly share that tilt, there are two consolations:

(1) Retribution is rather fun to play now - nice burst, decent self heals, a lot of utility. I played a lot of prot pvp casually and finally called it a day when MoP nerfed zero vengeance tank dps to the ground. However, I then tried Ret and it feels not so different - a little more fragile, but a little more potent too.

(2) Retribution pvp gear is rather good starter gear for pve tanks. We want hit, expertise and haste. PvP gear - esp. malevolent - can often provide that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    (2) Retribution pvp gear is rather good starter gear for pve tanks. We want hit, expertise and haste. PvP gear - esp. malevolent - can often provide that.
    Just saying I'd be fairly scared tanking I a full pvp set.. sure hit exp haste is the top of the reforge prio.. but erh only those stats.. I'd feel a liiitle bit squishy
    not saying its bad.. but i wouldnt like to go without a little bit of tank pieces.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haaz View Post
    Just saying I'd be fairly scared tanking I a full pvp set.. sure hit exp haste is the top of the reforge prio.. but erh only those stats.. I'd feel a liiitle bit squishy
    not saying its bad.. but i wouldnt like to go without a little bit of tank pieces.
    PvP pieces got perfect tank stats. They are basically tank pieces. Not to mention that pvp 4p is the strongest set bonus for protection paladins at the moment. If it was not for pvp gear being lower item level than heroic raid gear, pvp set would be a no brainer BiS for prot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    PvP pieces got perfect tank stats. They are basically tank pieces. Not to mention that pvp 4p is the strongest set bonus for protection paladins at the moment. If it was not for pvp gear being lower item level than heroic raid gear, pvp set would be a no brainer BiS for prot.
    Yep agree. pvp gear is in many cases far superior to traditional tank (dodge parry /spit) gear. Not squishy at all.

I think I'll go holy then... Don't feel like playing DPS again, always played DPS and I've always had to struggle BIG TIME to get into groups for anything. Been reading the forums for a couple of weeks and Rets don't seem to be very popular anywhere atm. But thank you very much for all the answers, I appreciate it. Really sucks prot isn't "up there" with other tanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechania View Post
    I think I'll go holy then... Don't feel like playing DPS again, always played DPS and I've always had to struggle BIG TIME to get into groups for anything. Been reading the forums for a couple of weeks and Rets don't seem to be very popular anywhere atm. But thank you very much for all the answers, I appreciate it. Really sucks prot isn't "up there" with other tanks though.
    Prot is (somewhat debatably) the best PVE tank almsot purely because of how well we scale our damage and healing with vengeance. Without vengeance, we fall below the pack by an equal but opposite margin. We can be annoying to casters and lock down a healer with ease, but you're no threat to burst anyone, and our survival and mobility is less than that of a guardian or prot war.

That said, HPal is damn near invincible and a huge asset to the team in terms of CC as well as heals. Ret still remains a BG hero, but bastard child of competitive PVP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Thank you once again, seems Hpala is the way to go for me. Alot of good threads on that topic on the forum so I guess I got all the information I need.

I guess this is all the information I need out of this topic. Thanks alot guys!