Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    I'm not exactly defending the guy who made the original "worthy death" post, but being an assumptuious prick who just thinks that anyone who says they'd go out of their own safety to protect an innocent is just some skinny/fat nerd who watches kung-fu movies is, well, no better than being a fat/skinny nerd who watches kung-fu movies.

Granted, of course, it's likely that 90% of the time the person talking about how they'd jump in and try to save someone's life IS in fact just talking out of their ass to try and look cool, it doesn't mean everyone is some big teddy bear who wouldn't do anything to help someone else if it meant putting their own life in danger, and it sure as HELL doesn't mean that that person is "insane" for going against some incredibly primal instinct as if humans are just animals that have no real control over how they behave in situations of danger.

But, again, Mmochampion forums.
    Funny that, most peeps *with* some form of training, aren't going to go in blind, into a situation they know nothing about, with no form of back-up, awareness of the entire situation/potential threats, and whether or not they could make a difference anyways. Let alone being unarmed themselves, with little or no training or understanding of the culture/area/people. Chances are, you go in gung-ho, you will suddenly find a further 10-15 peeps deciding they don't like some arrogant westerner coming along dictating to them how *they* should or shouldn't act. regardless of morality. It's a highly charged situation, but you do sound very muc like the exact people I am talking about.
    I am not being an assumptious prick, thanks, but merely pointing out the guy *is* talking horses**t. No one knows how they would react in a situation like that, as it can flare up in a heartbeat with no understanding of how/why. but hey, thanks for assuming everything because Captain Awesome decides he is the single greatest thing, and is like, Batman and can kick ass anywhere in the world without any form of assistance or back up, and I make a little statement you take completely out of context because your head is up your ass as well.

Seriously, your talking shite here as well, its funny. But to be completely expected from peeps here
    Last edited by Howlrunner; 2012-12-10 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Funny that, most peeps *with* some form of training, aren't going to go in blind, into a situation they know nothing about, with no form of back-up, awareness of the entire situation/potential threats, and whether or not they could make a difference anyways.
    I am not being an assumptious prick, thanks, but merely pointing out the guy *is* talking horses**t. No one knows how they would react in a situation like that, as it can flare up in a heartbeat with no understanding of how/why. but hey, thanks for assuming everything because Captain Awesome decides he is the single greatest thing, and is like, Batman and can kick ass anywhere in the world without any form of assistance or back up, and I make a little statement you take completely out of context because your head is up your ass as well.

Seriously, your talking shite here as well, its funny. But to be completely expected form peeps here
    Holy shit, sorry. I didn't know I was getting into an argument with DA SMARTAST MAN ALIVE!!!!11 (especially when what I was saying wasn't even really directed towards you, but hey.) I've learned my folly and will concede to your crippling levels of intelligence.
    Last edited by JimPaladin; 2012-12-10 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Well, you probably just would have gotten yourself killed had you gotten involved, so no, I'd say you weren't a bad person.
    Basically. You would've done nothing but get two people killed that day, OP. There was nothing you could have done. You're not a bad person and yes, your actions were reasonable for that situation. Even if we assume you would've been able to save the man and come out alive yourself, the individual who is that selfless is rare and a lack of that selflessness doesn't make you a bad person either.

*hugs *comfort

In a country where the biggest bully wins, either by way of bribery of corrupt officials or large numbers of gangs who operate daily via sheer pointless, vicious violence among many others horrible things I'm sure go on, what is a single 20 yr old or even a few innocent ppl supposed to do?!

I am so terribly & sincerely sorry for what happened & what you witnessed, but you were not part of it. It feels awful not to step in but we all know you'd be dead as well now & most likely made to suffer greatly before your death simply for standing up to these monsters, as they see a selfless act against their tyranny simply as a hostile move instead of an heroic one.

Even if you'd been armed it is very unlikely you could have saved Anwar & as nice of an honest man as he sounded he would not have wanted you to die alongside him. And if the gang found out your name or who you're related to, your remaining Family members over there would then be tormented & pursued by that nasty gang of mindless heartless thugs.

Those stupid thugs wouldn't have yielded to your gun, they would have just shot at you & unless you could have somehow shot them all Waco Kid style in Blazing Saddles, you'd be dead.

I don't mean any insult or anything by showing a comedy vid but sometimes a little levity can relieve a bit of the immense pressures of what I'm sure you must be experiencing; PTSD & some survivors' guilt. Please try to remember that through no fault of your own you were thrown into this. None of which is your responsibility.

I wish you would consider seeing a therapist or speak to someone as I suspect you may have PTSD. Let a professional help you so this isn't the defining moment (in your view) for the rest of your life <3
    *hugs *comfort
    Last edited by sugarlily; 2012-12-11 at 12:11 AM.

Allot of hate going on in here, well eighter way, not risking you life in a situation is the standard way of acting.
    Is it the correct way? In a way, no, because if everyone stood up to this, it wouldn't happen,atleast in theory,the world could use more bravery.
    But one person can only do so much, so don't beat yourself up over it, not everyone is a hero.

I don't agree with the people who say it's insane or stupid to do so tho, and I HOPE that I would have the courage to go in and help even if it gets me killed. I'm braver thene the average guy sure, but I've never faced a gang that's really out to kill people, only just random bullies and jerks. So I don't know if I would eighter. Chances are I'd freeze too, but I would beat myself up later for not doing anything, it goes against everything I stand for as a person.

Being outnumbered like that doesn't help tho, and having seen what they did to the taxidriver must be harsh.
    You're not a bad person at all for having made the choices you made, you're acting like a normal human being has always acted.
    Last edited by glowzone; 2012-12-11 at 12:05 AM.

The Patient
    Quote Originally Posted by Omgodzilla View Post
    So what I really wanted to ask you all is that were my actions reasonable? Was I a bad person for walking away like that?
    You were in shock. Perfectly natural reaction to seeing something like that.

From Wikipedia:

The symptoms show great variation but typically include an initial state of "daze", with some constriction of the field of consciousness and narrowing of attention, inability to comprehend stimuli, and disorientation.

This state may be quickly followed by either further withdrawal from the surrounding situation (to the extent of a dissociative stupor), or by agitation and overactivity, anxiety, impaired judgement, confusion, detachment, and depression. Autonomic signs of panic anxiety (tachycardia, sweating, flushing) are also commonly present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusi...responsibility

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Also look up Piliavin's Bystander-Calculus Model and Latane and Darley's Cognitive Model.

How you acted is the same as pretty much everyone else. You are not a bad person, you simply found yourself in a high risk situation that could have put yourself at risk. Evolution wouldn't work so well if every creature threw itself at possible danger to save another.

This reminds me of in Seinfeld the final episode they get in trouble because of Good Samaritan laws.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Build yourself an Iron Man suit.

i find this thread really funny after the responses to the one about the elderly former SS guard. why should that man have killed himself to fail at saving some of the jewish prisoners while this guy did the right thing by saving himself?

Life is very cheap in places like pakistan sadly

You did the right thing not getting involved and i think the police prolly wouldnt have been much help had you called them

Yep, Pakistan is sure an awful place. Good thing we're busily whacking the worst of these fiends with impunity from the air.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Being killed in a gun fight with the purpose of having a small yet realistic chance of saving an innocent? I call that a worthy death.
    A Worthy death? no offense man but you've been watching too many movies and playing too many games.
    Bane

You should always take your own safety infront of everyone elses, exceptions would be family. Rather get one killed than two.

Bootstrapper throws a delicious chocolate filled cookie at you!

Don't feel bad. I don't think anybody on these forums would have played the hero, even if they'd like us to believe they would. There's a great deal of difference between how you would like to think you would act, and how you really do act in those situations, you can prepare yourself mentally for these situations and even truly believe yourself that you could handle it, but when push comes to shove, its a whole different ballgame and nobody can predict how it will affect them.

I don't know if it's a fair comparison, but my friend's cousin talked about how he thought he would act fine in combat during his time in the military, he thought he was prepared and that he would perform just fine, but when it all went off around him for the first time, he didn't handle it anything like he had thought. You are not a bad person, and frankly, if you had played the hero, we'd just have yet another dead person on the side of the street.

The moment I've read Pakistan I knew that what you did wasn't bad, but rather self defense. I do not want to bash your nation, but some parts of this world are simply more brutal than others.

Those people are not your average drunken Joe. They will kill you, too. Don't get yourself killed, it's a shitty thing to do.

Also, DEATHETERNAL, just stop it please. I think you've got no idea what you're talking about. One does not mess with (drug) gangs, especially not in Pakistan.....

I would even believe you that you'd try and stop a fight (even a knife fight or HELL even a GUN fight) in America, or just about any other place on this planet, but Pakistan? Comon'
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-12-11 at 01:04 AM.

No one wants to die, you did the right thing. Anyone who wants us to believe they'd throw their life away for silly notion of protecting innocent people or heroism is either just trying to seem tough, or really hasn't thought much about what death truely means. Life is precious, and it is a terrible, terrible thing to have witnessed that man lose his, but it would have helped no one if you had lost yours as well. Anyone who has been in those kinds of situations will tell you it's not cowardice to run when the odds are stacked heavily against you, in fact its plain stupid to pointlessly throw away your life.
    "I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Issac Asimov

Pandaren Monk Silhouette of Seraphim's Avatar
    Congratulations, you're not stupid.

Kudos.

Now go live life like a boss.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Thats really traumatizing. I think no matter what most people say, the toughest of the tough would have done the same. I'd like to think i wouldn't but i probably would. Just be thankful you have a civilized country to go back to.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

Realistically though in a country like Pakistan you did what you could to survive, and the quote doesn't say you must confront every fight head on.

Posting here raises awareness of the area, even that is a small battle in itself.