Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Spirit Kings: Breaking Maddening Shout

Our guild is a little behind the curve, we are just now getting to Spirit Kings. But we seem to have trouble when it comes time to break Maddening Shout - I know it's only 40k to break, but we seem to end up nuking ourselves. Could I get some examples of what other groups do, as far as how many assigned to break it and which classes/spells work best? This is on 10 man. Thanks!

Anything but dots really. Everybody stacks before it, and you aoe.

So I am using Spinning Crane Kick personally.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

It's actually extremely easy and pretty straight-forward. If you have anyone with AOE that doesn't leave a DoT (Windwalkers, Boomkins, properly talented Warriors, Mages, Warlocks, etc) you assign that person to be the "breaker." That person should be marked visually with whatever symbol is easiest to see (Green "V" or Star work pretty well) and then everyone groups up on that person when the timer for Maddening Shout is coming up. The moment CC breaks you should spread back out.

EDIT: Also, do not use defensive CDs and for the love of Thrall don't have any absorption shields going out before hand.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Watch the timer for the ability and call it out 7 seconds before hand to stack.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 10:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    It's actually extremely easy and pretty straight-forward. If you have anyone with AOE that doesn't leave a DoT (Windwalkers, Boomkins, properly talented Warriors, Mages, Warlocks, etc) you assign that person to be the "breaker." That person should be marked visually with whatever symbol is easiest to see (Green "V" or Star work pretty well) and then everyone groups up on that person when the timer for Maddening Shout is coming up. The moment CC breaks you should spread back out.

EDIT: Also, do not use defensive CDs and for the love of Thrall don't have any absorption shields going out before hand.
    Everyone AOES not just one person. Why do you need a mark? Just collapse on the melee,tank,boss. If only one person is aoeing it will take much longer and people will die. Just have everyone pop their AOE ability. As a warlock I either harvest life or RoF.

Deleted
    On heroic our Windwalker monk just uses Rushing Jade Wind + one Spinning Crane kick tick which always instantly breaks everyone within 1 second (Rushing = ~45K on each, Spinning Crane = ~15K on each for a tick). On normal just one Rushing Jade Wind will suffice to clear everyone's debuff.

from what I've seen absorption doesn't effect anything. our Disc would sometimes have spirit shell rolling and they'd still get broken out during it

Deleted

Just to clarify, on my Disc priest I spirit shell every1 just b4 maddening shout and no1 takes any damage at all, so you can shield people, dunno about peoples individual defensives tho.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Everyone AOES not just one person. Why do you need a mark? Just collapse on the melee,tank,boss. If only one person is aoeing it will take much longer and people will die. Just have everyone pop their AOE ability. As a warlock I either harvest life or RoF.
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I was getting the impression that when we all AOE, it was doing way more damage than the 40k needed. Does the effect break right at 40k taken or is it possible to go beyond that if you hit too hard?

Quote Originally Posted by shoooter View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I was getting the impression that when we all AOE, it was doing way more damage than the 40k needed. Does the effect break right at 40k taken or is it possible to go beyond that if you hit too hard?
    MC doesn't break until 40k damage taken, but it does not make you immune to damage exceeding 40k while MCed, nor does it clear dots/debuffs.

The important thing here is to assign 1/2 ppl to AoE. The answer is in your OP "we seem to end up nuking ourselves" Seems like the answer is pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You need the mark because it helps people know who is going to be doing the AOE. Stacking melee is oftentimes not possible because of a Flanking Order or a sudden Pillage.

Also, you don't go into a full blown AOE frenzy because:

Quote Originally Posted by shoooter View Post
    I know it's only 40k to break, but we seem to end up nuking ourselves.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    Bear in mind the Cowadice debuff can rape the entire raid if you're DPSing him at high energy just before Maddening Shout. Also bear in mind the dot from Maddening Shout ticks for loads too, and if your raid is spread you will take a lot of damage. Usually it's not doing too much AOE, it's a mix of those two factors which kills your raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Halaberiel View Post
    Bear in mind the Cowadice debuff can rape the entire raid if you're DPSing him at high energy just before Maddening Shout. Also bear in mind the dot from Maddening Shout ticks for loads too, and if your raid is spread you will take a lot of damage. Usually it's not doing too much AOE, it's a mix of those two factors which kills your raid.
    QTF.

Except if you're the tank. As long as the healers are MC, they can't heal you. I use my def cd and Shield barrier at each Shout. I'm usually the last one to be un-MC, but at least I take almost 0 damage from the boss meanwhile.

You need the mark because it helps people know who is going to be doing the AOE. Stacking melee is oftentimes not possible because of a Flanking Order or a sudden Pillage.

Also, you don't go into a full blown AOE frenzy because:
    Soon as you take 40k damage the MC breaks. No one has ever died from everyone aoeing in my group. Just reg aoe though not like pop cds and aoe.

We use two DKs to drop DnD right as it ticks off they take the 40k and its over withing a second or two, if need be we get a mage to hit an arcane explosion at most. usually the double DnD works.

Apply weakened blows to the raid.

Hug on the boss a few seconds before the shout. Usually we have myself (a warlock) and a mage aoeing. If it's too low then just add one more person nothing more. Having everybody aoe ends with dead people and grey-haired healers. If there's someone left out from the aoe a couple of Arcane Blasts should do the trick. I guess you got a mage right? :P

Make sure none is doing any big nuke because if that person is the last to get out of the Maddening Shout, the nuke will severely hurt the raid (Glaive toss, chaos wave, howling blast, halo, dragon's roar... etc).

Also, important, if you have a:
    priest - tell him to do a quick mass dispell before the shout is up if people have the cowardice debuff, will make it way easier (kinda important only on heroic)
    monk (healer) - revival dispell is OP for this, it will top everyone off and also dispell cowardice
    warlock - usually there is a high reflect % cowardice synced with Maddening Shout, this is a perfect scenario to use a HS.

I can't say on top of my head since I mostly only play warlock but AoE spells like Hellfire (7-10k tick) and Harvest Life (5-10k tick) are the best for that. There are the obvious ones like Death and Decay, Hunter Fire Trap, Arcane Explosion, Thunderclap (altho avoid using this last once since it applies Weakened Blows to the entire raid)..

Things like arcane explosion and the spinning crane kick will do. Any direct damage aoe as long as it doesnt put dots on anyone.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

if you have a dk in your raid make sure he doesn't have the talent roiling blood as it will trigger pestilence if he uses blood boil which will result in diseases being thrown around like STDs in a brothel, i myself is a sinner then it comes to that but i secretly enjoy watching all my disease spread to the rest of the raid!