Deleted

is it worth buying a 2012 gpu?

just wondering if you guys still think that it's worth it to buy a GPU? they've been out for a while now and I can get a 7950 for £200 along with the 4 awesome free games (all of which I do not yet own!) but I'm debating whether I should wait for the next generation. I currently have a 6870 so it will be a fairly substantial upgrade.

just looking for some opinions, cheers!

well its up to you if you want to drop the money into a new video card but there is a pretty significant jump in quality going from a 6870 to 7950. 6870 vs 7950 Unless you plan on saving for anotehr 6 months or so might as well get a new one now .
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 6870 also, waiting for the new gtx cards which should have 20-40 % higher performance over current gtx cards. I rather wait 2-4 months for a card that will hold a couple years then a card than can't run the newest game released now.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Depends if you really need the FPS. If you have more than 60 fps in WoW/other games, don't bother.

Deleted
    ya, the main reason for me considering it is the free far cry 3, sleeping dogs, hitman and dirt. those games plus half paid for by my mum for Christmas makes it a pretty cheap upgrade. my computer is getting so hot and loud recently and i doubt it's the CPU as it's cooled by a noctua in a 600t.

Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    ya, the main reason for me considering it is the free far cry 3, sleeping dogs, hitman and dirt. those games plus half paid for by my mum for Christmas makes it a pretty cheap upgrade. my computer is getting so hot and loud recently and i doubt it's the CPU as it's cooled by a noctua in a 600t.
    do you keep it cleaned out?

Quote Originally Posted by googz View Post
    do you keep it cleaned out?
    Possibly he just has a reference 6870, not with an aftermarktcooler.

I just bought a Gigabyte Windforce x3 7950, and absolutely love my choice. Over 80 frames all the time in BF3 ultra @ 1080p. Sold the bundle on eBay for $50, and my old 570 for $200 so I only paid $50 out of pocket for the 7950. I'll sell the 7950 next generation half way through like I did this time so that I spend a minimal amount for the new card. Constantly selling and buying new will keep your hardware up to date and cost less in the long run. I think you're probably a bit behind the curve that I used however, and you might want to wait until the next generation comes out. This current generation will be more than enough to last for quite a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    I have a 6870 also, waiting for the new gtx cards which should have 20-40 % higher performance over current gtx cards. I rather wait 2-4 months for a card that will hold a couple years then a card than can't run the newest game released now.
    a 7950 should last two to three years easy. the only game on the horizon that you would need the newest beefiest gpu for is crysis 3. and that's only because Crytek survives by drinking the tears of our poor machines.

I would consider waiting for the 8000 series. You already have a strong graphics card and single generation upgrades are approximately +40%.

While 6870 to 7950 is a pretty strong upgrade (since you're ranking up as well), imagine if you bought the 8950 with the +40% generation improvement. The 8000 series will probably also come with free games as well.

Deleted
    cheers for the opinions guys, I just went ahead and got it. I technically paid £100 for the card and all the games! hopefully I can sell my current 6870 hawk edition as well to make it even cheaper!