Need help buying a blu-ray burner

I want to purchase a blu-ray burner so I can start watching HD movies on my new 55" plasma. I have a bunch of hd movies on my PC but Im not an expert at making dvds none-the-less blu-ray dvds. Can any provide some key tips to remember when burning? What file type is recommended? I use my PS3 to watch blu-rays btw. And last, I need to know what to look for in buying a blu-ray burner. Not sure if you need to know my specs for my PC but here it is:

intel i5-2500k sandy bridge CPU

ASUS GTX560 1GB video card

750W PSU

1600 DDR 8GB Ram

Windows 7

nothing flashy but not crappy.

I already have a dvd burner but I think regular dvds only hold up to normally 4.7GB and I know HD movies require like 25+GB. Someone confirm that for me please?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by bamf775; 2012-12-11 at 12:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blu ray movies are around 6-7 gb I think for the movie alone without extras, definitely not as much as 20+gb I really don't think.
    Just for that infos sake anyway
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapetos View Post
    Blu ray movies are around 6-7 gb I think for the movie alone without extras, definitely not as much as 20+gb I really don't think.
    Really? only that much for 720p or 1080p quality? I have the lord of the rings trilogy on my PC and its 1080p mkv file. When i attempted to burn the 1st movie to a regular DVD+R disc it said it required like 24GB.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    Really? only that much for 720p or 1080p quality? I have the lord of the rings trilogy on my PC and its 1080p mkv file. When i attempted to burn the 1st movie to a regular DVD+R disc it said it required like 24GB.
    That seems a bit off, I don't think blu-ray movies are usually that big.

Anyways, what I would advise is looking into the media center functions built into your ps3. http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...nnectdlna.html

I believe you should be able to stream the movie right to your ps3 - no blu-ray required.

Another option I would suggest over blu-ray burning is getting a 32 gig flash drive (think they're like $25 now adays) and you should be able to transfer movies to that then play them back on your ps3.

I want to purchase a blu-ray burner so I can start watching HD movies on my new 55" plasma. I have a bunch of hd movies on my PC but Im not an expert at making dvds none-the-less blu-ray dvds. Can any provide some key tips to remember when burning? What file type is recommended?
    Bad idea. Making BluRay compatible video discs with DIY methods at home is complicated and requires using bunch of buggy poorly documented software for things like selectable subtitles, unless you're willing to pay thousands of USD for commercial tools or forget all special features like menus, multiple audio and subtitle tracks and stuff. If you start from poor skill and knowledge of making DVD compatible discs, it will take you weeks or probably months of experimentation and failed discs before you can learn the process of making real BD compatible movies.

I use my PS3 to watch blu-rays btw.
    Use your PS3 as a media center instead. Will save you from all the hassles.

HD movies require like 25+GB. Someone confirm that for me please?
    Yep, movies on commercial BluRay discs are usually 25-40GB depending on length and compression quality. There is a maximum allowed size even for very small programs which means the quality and file size can't be infinitely improved/increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapetos View Post
    No. Size of pirated BD rips or 720p broadcast streams has got nothing to do with filesizes on actual BD discs.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-12-11 at 09:08 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    No. Size of pirated BD rips or 720p broadcast streams has got nothing to do with filesizes on actual BD discs.
    Aka - they're compressed (sometimes lossy) to reduce file size.

I'm pretty sure DVD/Bluray movies are next to fully uncompressed because DVD/Bluray players have almost no processing power.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I'm pretty sure DVD/Bluray movies are next to fully uncompressed because DVD/Bluray players have almost no processing power.
    Those are strictly standardized to provide unchanging and predictable working environment for hardware makers.

DVD players can stream 10mbps maximum from disc, which includes all visible and non-visible audio and video and subtitle streams. Over 95% commercially released discs I've looked into have video compressed at exact 8mbps which allows easily DTS and AC3 soundtrack in addition to cap out the 10mbps. Or few different AC3 tracks to include fluff like commentary tracks.

BluRay movies stream at 25mbps maximum, but that is only for the currently playing video and audio tracks (afaik, but not 100% sure about that) so there's no real limits for alternate video angles, soundtracks and other fluff. Because there's plenty of room on standard 50GB dual layer BD disc most movies are compressed at that fixed 25mbps unless you're trying to fit very long video into one disc (like for example multiple episodes of some TV series) or some 4 hour long director's cut movie. Dunno if 3D movies allows higher bitrate or not.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.