Breaking News: Manning wins Person of Year 2012 in landslide

http://www.examiner.com/article/brea...2012-landslide

Bradley Manning has won the Person of the Year 2012 contest conducted by The Guardian with a landslide 70 percent of the votes.

Although the Guardian has not made the official announcement, WikiLeaks and Anonymous were among the first to tweet the news that Bradley Manning has won the Guardian's Person of the Year Award 2012
    Haha, take that Washington. Take that Obama.

Good job Guardian voters. More people need to realize whistleblowers help us

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to Google both Bradley Manning and The Guardian.

I generally enjoy the Guardian, but this makes me think their readership consists mostly of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I generally enjoy the Guardian, but this makes me think their readership consists mostly of idiots.
    It's biased to the left but the readers aren't braindead goons like Huffpo readers. You see the comment section there? Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Raidenx View Post
    It's biased to the left but the readers aren't braindead goons like Huffpo readers. You see the comment section there? Ugh
    Yeah, PuffHo is pretty much the biggest piece of crap this side of the middle of politics. Well, at least among things that are considered somewhat mainstream. Some of the dregs on the left verge into absolutely lunacy of a sort that seems nearly as WTFish as what I see on the other side. Not quite though. Nothing tops Freepers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, take that Washington. Take that Obama.
    Take what exactly? You think they give two shits if Manning was voted person of the year by The Guardian?

Manning isn't a whistleblower, by definition. A whistleblower is someone who reports an employers illegal actions to some type of oversight committee. Manning just leaked a shitload of classified material at his own discretion.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Take what exactly? You think they give two shits if Manning was voted person of the year by The Guardian?

Manning isn't a whistleblower, by definition. A whistleblower is someone who reports an employers illegal actions to some type of oversight committee. Manning just leaked a shitload of classified material at his own discretion.
    Of which contained US soldiers killing civilians for sport.

Indeed, and anyone that works for the government is quite clear on what the consequences of such actions are. He really should be facing very severe consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Of which contained US soldiers killing civilians for sport.
    Yes. He released one video of a helicopter attack. He also released 260,000 diplomatic cables, and 90,000 intelligence reports. Hence, not a whistleblower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who?
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Bradley Manning has won the Person of the Year 2012 contest conducted by The Guardian with a landslide 70 percent of the votes.

Although the Guardian has not made the official announcement, WikiLeaks and Anonymous were among the first to tweet the news that Bradley Manning has won the Guardian's Person of the Year Award 2012
    While I believe this would be true... I... um... want to wait for an official announcement rather than news from Anonymous...

...speaking of which, having Anonymous (a very well established hacker group) post it before the Guardian does make it pretty damn suspicious... (meaning I hope they didn't hack in and adjust the votes to make it a "landslide victory". =/)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Who?
    The American serviceman who gave the huge leaks to wikileaks. He's been detained and arguably tortured for a long time in solitary confinement as a result. He wasn't given a trial until recently.

10+ Year Old Account

The general public IS the oversight of the government. What's the point in telling a government agency that the government done wrong?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The general public IS the oversight of the government. What's the point in telling a government agency that the government done wrong?
    We have congressional oversight for a reason. They can get shit done, the public can't.

Do you think the public should have access to all classified documents? Should nothing be classified?

10+ Year Old Account
    We have congressional oversight for a reason. They can get shit done, the public can't.

Do you think the public should have access to all classified documents? Should nothing be classified?
    It's not that black and white. And "congressional oversight committees" are generally established because the people throw a fit about something that got leaked.

I think all documents should be declassified at some time after the end of their service. Maybe 10ish years after they are no longer being used.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Read the headline, immediately thought "Peyton Manning".

On topic, I support Wikileaks and anyone who helps them expose our government's shifty behaviors, but "Person of the Year" is a bit hyperbolic.