Where do you draw the line regarding animal cruelty?

I mean, yeah, we have to kill animals sometimes. But shit like -snip-, isn't it going a little too far?

Please do not link such videos
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-12-11 at 05:29 AM.

I draw the line at causing undue harm for no rational benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure finding enjoyment in the suffering of animals is a sign of a sociopath and the beginnings of a serial killer...

Any element of sadism makes it unbearable for me, like that sick fuck in the video you posted. I don't care if someone wants to kills a rat or mouse, but wring its neck or bash it with a club so it dies quickly. Like Tikaru said I think it must take some sort of sociopath to not cringe and feel horrible when you hear that rat screaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Causing pain to the animal at all.

A small spanking when they do something bad is obviously fine, but you aren't doing it to hurt them, you're doing it to let them know that behavior isn't ok. When your intent is solely to cause harm, it's too far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making bad puns before an execution, burning as an execution, yeah that guys a fucking serial killer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    About sums it up for me.

I wonder how many people will argue along the lines of "You'd better be vegetarian if you're opposed to animal cruelty" or pointless accusations of being "a PETA member".

10+ Year Old Account
    Really that, except for maybe massively undue harm for little rational benefit would be crossing the line as well, but I feel as though this was implied in his post.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Apart from using for food/clothing I have zero tolerance towards any form of cruelty (violent or otherwise) towards animals.

I really don't care all that much about animal cruelty. I would feel like a hypocrite if I started to play the moral high ground over something like shown in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Really that, except for maybe massively undue harm for little rational benefit would be crossing the line as well, but I feel as though this was implied in his post.
    Yeah, you're right, it's a balance rather than a binary. That's a better way of putting it. Animal research that has marginal benefits and inflicts massive suffering isn't OK.

Deleted
    Yeah, you're right, it's a balance rather than a binary. That's a better way of putting it. Animal research that has marginal benefits and inflicts massive suffering isn't OK.
    Cosmetic research I object to. Also I'm not a fan of drug research on animals when they are being used to make a "me too" drug which barely varies from the original.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 05:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    I really don't care all that much about animal cruelty. I would feel like a hypocrite if I started to play the moral high ground over something like shown in the video.
    Do you regularly burn animals alive? (Edit. That comes across as an attack I think. Was meant to come across as asking why you would feel like a hypocrite?)
    Last edited by mmoca9562f3cee; 2012-12-11 at 05:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside of research. You'll only incite my inner rage. Losing a dog during High School years really damaged my heart(Figuratively). I think after the last dog I won't have another animal pet again.

....Damn it there I go again...this is hard for me to discuss.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Well at least someone removed that link. I hate animal cruelty, and I'm against glue traps. If you're going to kill a rat, you should at least do it as humanely as possible. I hate to think that I eat meat. Even if I gave up meat, it wont save the lives of any animals. I'd rather I eat it, than it become garbage. Wearing leather is fine too, because at least you can use every part of the cow. We know more than enough to stop testing cosmetics on animals, as for medical research.... as much as I hate it, I have to remember the good it does.

I was having a discussion on with my friend the other day, who was shocked I havent hit any animals with my car. He went down the list asking if i've hit raccoons, or birds or squirrels trying to find something small and pitiful I may not have counted (other than bugs). Another friend chimed in and said "Oh yeah, Ive never hit anything either, I dont want that on my tires, its disgusting". Id rather slow traffic for a minute than choose to willingly hit something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayona View Post
    I was having a discussion on with my friend the other day, who was shocked I havent hit any animals with my car. He went down the list asking if i've hit raccoons, or birds or squirrels trying to find something small and pitiful I may not have counted (other than bugs). Another friend chimed in and said "Oh yeah, Ive never hit anything either, I dont want that on my tires, its disgusting". Id rather slow traffic for a minute than choose to willingly hit something.
    Yeah, I don't understand what the fuck is wrong with some people. People who don't slow when they see an animal. I mean, I make jokes about running over birds all the damned time but I don't think I would actually do it. I've even seen people speed up to try to hit an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    It's not hard to. I'm guess you're saying this because you're a meat eater? I don't see the correlation.

MODS: Why remove the link? If people flag the video it can get removed, which is the intention. Perhaps if I put up a warning this time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but 'rational benefit' is a grey area too lol. Though I have the same philosophy. Senselessly torturing animals just for the fun of it? No. Killing animals for their meat/hide/etc? Fine by me. But in that instance, do I care how it's done? Not really. I know there are probably tons of butcheries around the world who have 'cruel' ways of treating the animals, but you know, they're going to be killed anyway, there's really no sense in caring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Videos like that are not appropriate to link here.