View Poll Results: How do you watch your HD movies on TV from PC?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Burn them to a blu-ray dvd

1 4.17%
  • use a VGA hookup from my PC

6 25.00%
  • Other

17 70.83%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

The Patient
    I have little USB stick that has a HDMI plug instead of USB and it just plugs into my TV. Gives me the generic Android 4.1 interface and it allows me to connect to my file server and watch movies. They are maybe $30 to get and another $50 for a good remote.
    i7 3930k // ASUS Rampage IV Extreme // Corsair Dominator 32GB
    EVGA GTX 680 FTW // 2x OCZ 128GB SSD // Cooler Master Cosmos II

Quote Originally Posted by Honzi View Post
    I've got a western digital media player ( link ) for that purpose. Just copy your movie onto an usb stick plug it in and watch it. The media player makes absolutely no noise, that's why I got it since my PC is quite noisy.
    I also have one of these (an older model, I believe), and it works excellently. You can also choose to use an external drive instead of a USB stick. I use a 3TB external drive I picked up for 120 bucks or so, simple and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the "best" way is to build a HTPC and Media Server combo

movies are stored in ISO format on the media server and then streamed to the HTPC over network, the ISO formatting retains all the special features and does not lose quality

you use windows media center on the HTPC and Windows Home Server on the Media Server, and the software MyMovies to facilitate the ISO mounting and streaming as well as cataloging and ripping

i've looked into tons of different options and after see this in action at my friend's house it really is the best if you are serious into digital home media
    And subtitles then?

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    And subtitles then?
    yes, it's exactly like putting a DVD or Bluray disk in the drive, it's just streamed over network

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    You can yea but I tried this method first and the movies skipped and jumped due to the USB being a cheap shitty thing it was not able to feed the movie fast enough. At least that's what the guy at the shop said ^^
    Yes it could be that your USB stick wasn't fast enough . A normal USB 2.0 can do 1.5 MByte/s and a 1080p movie can use up to 4.5 MByte/s. A highspeed USB 2.0 stick or HDD can do 60 MByte/s which is enough and the second best method to watch HD movies. Best way would be to buy the bluray and watch it with a blurayplayer because rips in the internet (that's what you people want to do aren't you?) don't have the same quality as the bluray because people don't want to have big files so instead of 36MBit/s they do a compressed rip with only 5MBit/s.

Another method would be to just connect the TV with the PC via HDMI or DVI + sound but keep in mind that the longer the cable, the better quality you need so that a strong enough signal will reach your TV. Furthermore you could stream movies via the built in DLNA software or your Xbox360 or PS3 but your PC will have to decompress the files first before it can send them to the TV and when you have a 1080p MKV with HD sound you need a strong CPU to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    yes, it's exactly like putting a DVD or Bluray disk in the drive, it's just streamed over network
    Owyeah :P disks being bought :P

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Owyeah :P disks being bought :P
    cough, netflix/redbox

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

HDMI>AMP>HDMI TV
    No video quality loss and lossless 7.1 sound ( DTS HD, Dolby true HD )

PS3 + PS3MS
    If you're like me and the PS3 sits on the same gigabit switch as your PC, it's completely seamless and simple.

Note: PS3MS works on 360 as well. No Live required.
    CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.9GHz | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 670FTW LE 2GB (SLI) | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 MHz | Case: NZXT Switch 810 White | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro | CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 CLC | SSD: Intel 520 160GB | HDD: 3xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB | PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W | Displays: 3x Dell U2412M E-IPS | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Tactile | Mouse: Razer Deathadder/Naga Epic | Car: Andromeda