Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ion Hazzikostas Interview, Method Interview, Dec 10 Hotfixes, Blue Posts, Holiday Art

Patch 1.0.6a Incoming, Scheduled Maintenance - December 11, Still No Plans for Holiday Events, Blue Posts

Ion Hazzikostas Interview
    Today's interview is with Ion Hazzikostas (Lead Encounter Designer) on ConvertToRaid. A summary of the main points is below, but listening to the full interview is worth it if you want to hear the full answers!

• Looking back at the daily quests, anything that rewards player power feels mandatory to raiders, but this has to be balanced with giving purely cosmetic rewards. There has to be enough of a reward to encourage players to do some quests, but not so much that it feels mandatory for everyone.
    • The Patch 5.1 daily quests took in to account the Golden Lotus daily quests that rewarded you with more daily quests and kept the number being added this time more reasonable.
    • Blizzard wants to keep delivering content and storyline progression through daily quests, because it gives you a better understanding and connection to the faction you are assisting. Tabards ended up with the player running dungeons for rep and never learning anything about the faction whose tabard they had on.
    • Valor Points being necessary for raiders due to item upgrades feels better than daily quests because of all of the different sources for earning Valor Points versus only being able to do daily quests for reputation.
    • Brawler's Guild is working out well, with the limited invites keeping queues reasonable.
    • Showing the number of LFR bosses that are dead was making it very slow to fill groups.
    • The addition of LFR has allowed Blizzard to target Normal difficulty more towards organized guilds that play together regularly and use voice chat. Previously, Normal difficulty was used by both organized guilds and PuGs, which made it somewhat easier than intended.
    • Staggering the release of the raids worked out well.
    • Heroic Sha of Fear was a worthy end boss in terms of the amount of time it took to defeat. It is almost impossible to make encounters that the best guilds won't be able to beat in a matter of days when they are spending so much time raiding. Only 28 guilds have killed Heroic Sha of Fear so far.
    • Larger patches in the past needed everything to be complete before shipping, which sometimes caused delays. With separate patches for raids and the other content, we are able to see more frequent patches.
    • Patch 5.2 is coming Soon™ and will include a large and more traditional raid tier. It has been a while since we had a raid zone that was as large as Ulduar or Icecrown Citadel. Blizzard will talking about what will be in it and how many bosses soon!

Method Interview
    Manaflask had the opportunity to speak with members of Method about their thoughts on the first set of Mists of Pandaria raids. They seemed happy with the staggered raid releases, pointing out that it worked as promised by allowing them to not have to try and do all of the bosses at once.

Method agreed with what Ion said in the interview above, saying "In my opinion the difficulty of these encounters are harder than ever, people are judging the content on the speed in which top guilds are beating these encounters when they shouldn't be. The quality of the guilds in the Top 10 now are so high it's impossible for an encounter to stay alive more than 1 reset unless its either bugged or impossible".

World of Warcraft Fast Patch 5.1.0A Notes
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Bug Fixes
    • Pet Battle Abilities that use a shoot or missile animation will now properly display their visual effect.
    • Disabling Loss of Control in the Interface menu will now also disable the red cooldown swipes on the action bar in addition to the notification in the center of the screen. Loss of Control Alerts can be disabled in the Game Menu by going to Interface > Combat > and un-checking Loss of Control Alerts.
    • When Loss of Control Alerts are enabled, the red cooldown swipes will not be displayed for abilities that were already on cooldown and in situations where that cooldown will last longer than the loss of control.
    • Night will now fall at the proper time on all realms.
    • Objective icons in Scenarios will no longer incorrectly persist until the Scenario is complete.
    • Fixed an issue that could cause crashes during Pet Battles.
    • Mac
      • Fixed an issue that could cause a crash to occur during in-game cinematics in OSX v.10.6

Patch 5.1 Hotfixes - December 10
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Classes

Quests
    • The Mechanized Fire should now be easier to reach in the course of completing "Dream of a Better Tomorrow".
    • Players that have completed "Better With Age" and "Crime and Punishment" can now properly acquire the quest "By the Sea, Nevermore" from Zer'ik in the Dread Wastes.
    • Players on the quest "Sentry Wards" will no longer be placed in the incorrect phase.
    • The quest "Enemies At Our Door" can no longer be shared.

Pet Battles
    • The Battle Pet ability Stone Rush now has a 1 round cooldown (was 0).
    • The Cinder Kitten is now has increased health. It looks like that armor helps a little after all.
    • Several Battle Pets now appear during times of day more appropriate to their ecology.
    • Singing Crickets are now considered Rare pets. This change does not apply to pets that have already been acquired.
    • Silithid Hatchlings should now be less elusive.

Brawler's Guild
    • Fixed an issue that could cause Zen'shar's Eyes of Warding to persist after he despawns.

Professions

Items

Creatures
    • Various Hozen rare spawn creatures are now less likely to evade and despawn.
    • Clawlord Kril'mandar will now be visible to players that have completed the quests "Domination Point" or "Lion's Landing".
    • Huntress Vael'yrie in the Krasarang Wilds now properly offers Stable Master services.

Dungeons, Raids & Scenarios
    • Normal and Heroic mode raid bosses now grant 40 Valor Points each upon being defeated.
    • Terrace of Endless Spring
      • Tsulong
        • Elemental Shaman will now always be properly eligible for loot after defeating the Raid Finder version of this encounter.

• Mogu'shan Vaults
      • The floor of Elegon's chamber should now always reappear after he is defeated.

Bug Fixes
    • Classes
    • Fixed an issue that could cause in-game cut-scenes to be skipped when sound is disabled.
    • Fixed an issue that allowed players below level 85 to see and loot certain Treasures of Pandaria.
    • Fixed an issue that could allow the Healing Ward provided by Vol'jin during the Dagger in the Dark Scenario to function outside of the instance.

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Monk (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    Patch 5.2 Monk Changes
    The following changes are currently on the table for 5.2:

• Life Cocoon will be undispellable and won’t interrupt the cast at the end of the effect (and players will also be able to jump as well).
    • We’re working to resolve the issues with Renewing Mist not being able to be used while mounted, though it will dismount the caster after it is cast.
    • Soothing Mist will no longer be able to be Purged, so it will work in a manner similar to the Priest's Penance. It will still be considered a periodic Heal.
    (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

CC in PvP
    CC in general is totally out of control, too much instant !@#$ going on
    We would very much like to make it so that more crowd controls start going back to having a cast time. We feel that instant cast spells should be something that's rare to see and we admit that they have become far too common. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

LFR Boss Counter Removal Feedback
    "oh no someone decided they didn't want to chaperone the mouth-breathing astounding idiots, we better penalise them for valuing their own time." Your logic, and apparently Blizzard's too.
    One of the reasons why the counter was removed was to reduce the amount of players fishing for a fresh instance. It was something that was becoming an issue for all the players that were stuck in on-going groups waiting for new players to join.

When those groups were waiting at, say 2/3, the queue would start looking for new replacements, those replacements would see the queue and decided to skip it in favor of a fresh instance, creating and endless loop for the guys inside the instance where more people would leave as they grew impatient, making it harder to complete the run.

As it is right now, if you enter an on-going run, you're pretty much guaranteed a fresh instance on your next visit. In addition, the developers are considering adding a buff that players in LFR might receive if they wipe on a boss that would boost their stats, which they also hope it might help those impatient players that will leave their current LFR run after a wipe. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Future Challenge Modes
    Will you guys ever consider adding more CMs, perhaps old dungeons like Ragefire Chasm/Wailing Caverns?
    Actually, the developers would like to add Challenge Modes to existing dungeons from previous expansions. No timelines or anything, though, but it's definitely something they're considering. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Bonus Roll Feedback
    While I understand that getting an item that you already have can be somewhat frustrating, this is actually nothing new, since the very beginning of WoW that players have been killing bosses and getting completely randomized loot.

The Elder Charms of Good Fortune are supposed to be an extra chance at getting loot, if anything, having this option the way it currently is, might be already too loot “friendly” in my opinion.

This option was added because we understand that sometimes players can be after a specific item (remember those Dragonspine Trophy hunting days…), this way they get to decide which bosses are the most important for their characters and have a higher chance of grabbing a specific item that they’re so anxious to get their hands on. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Character
    RE: Player Model Upgrade difficulty; Greg, can you elaborate for laymen what makes the project "huge"? Implies more than skin.
    Look at the Pandaren as an example. New textures need new models which need new animations. (Source)

I would say overall "too little to do" has not been feedback we have heard often for MoP. For Cataclysm, yes. (Source)

Can a new 90 alt catch up gear-wise this arena season with conquest being usable for item upgrades? MoP seems alt-unfriendly.
    We agree we need more alt solutions. MoP was designed to be compelling without alts. That means if you have alts, there's too much (Source)

Hey can we get an option to mail guild invites to alts?
    Would love to see that (with some kind of guildmaster control). (Source)

Yes that may be true but did you guys ever stop to think and listen to people saying gating isn't fun.
    Yes. The opposite of gating tends to be epic grinding followed by nothing to do. We try to strike a balance. (Source)

"There was no alternative to the head enchant. There are plenty of alternatives to valor gear." what are they?
    Killing raid bosses for one. (Source)

UI / Addons
    The new item tooltips are a mess. Whoever though this looked or conveyed information better was wrong. Please revert.
    We like it. Can you elaborate? (Source)

The addon that let us paint the world? That could've been fun, but you engineered the game to stop that.
    it wasn't to nerf fun. It took all the individual responsibility out of raiding. (Source)

Talent/Glyph + D.Journal taint bug is starting to drive me nuts. Reload UI 2-3 times to use stuff Bliz pushed as key features?
    Taint bugs are almost certainly caused by mods trying to access stuff they shouldn't. (Source)

Hey will WoW's taint detection be worked on? I am pretty fed up of my addons being blamed for things they don't even look at.
    If the addon goes after a protected feature, it gets the taint. It's pretty cut and dried as far as I know. (Source)
    75% of my raid has to /reloadui to change glyphs/talents. Taint spreads like defile! Very difficult to debug.
    I am sympathetic, but we can't debug all of the addons players develop. There are great sites out there that attempt to do so. (Source)

Why are UX /UI changes slow in WoW vs. system changes?
    Depends on the change, but UI often involves code changes while many class changes can be done through data (by designers). (Source)

Can we have a UI feature to show how much of an enemy absorb we have left to break through? Absorb Absorb Absorb isn't helpful
    Yes that's definitely on our wish list. (Source)

Holiday Desert and Card Gallery
    Blizzard is once again collecting holiday cards and deserts based on the Diablo, StarCraft, or World of Warcraft franchises.

Last edited by chaud; 2012-12-11 at 01:02 PM.

Tier 14 king? I'm sorry, did everyone miss that Paragon got world first?

Deleted
    Am I the only one with the Deja Vu concerning the ConvertToRaid interview?

I was like "YAY! NEW INTERVIEW WITH A DESIGNER" - but then i already listenend to it.

Hasn't it been on MMO before?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    Tier 14 king? I'm sorry, did everyone miss that Paragon got world first?
    "They've come out on top in the tier as a whole and confirmed themselves as the top guild in 25 man raiding". There's your answer, now don't turn this into a war between 10s and 25s.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    shouldnt be kings number #1, not 2?

the new models are going to look amazing. so cool they're not just going to be more polygons and higher res skins but will have expression and detail to match the pandaren. Can't wait to see a dwarf looking around with his actual eyes moving and his beard swaying and his lips peeling back from his chompers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    shouldnt be kings number #1, not 2?
    Seems pretty silly to try and invalidate the rest of the tier progress with a single kill, don't you think?

I love it how noone asked raid designers what's happening in Korea with 25men raids. Rogerbrown actually asked something about it but nothing specifical. Guess noone cares actually. GC is constantly stating "they love 25men and want to do something about it". I wonder if that means "we will do it next expansion".

Deleted
    you serious blizzard more mage buffs god this company knows nothing bout pvp, what about some dk survivability buffs i feel like im nude most of the time i go into pvp

Oh I hope they do something about alts and conquest gear! I gave up ret this season, as it's as good as impossible to find a RBG, and very hard to find Arena. So now I'm way behind with my gear as holy, only having t1 wep/shield as conq gear, rest as honor..
    And I hit lvl 90 with my alt yesterday, will soon be decked in honor gear - but will be behind by months with my conq gear.. Will be hard to keep up when I also need to upgrade my gear now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    you serious blizzard more mage buffs god this company knows nothing bout pvp, what about some dk survivability buffs i feel like im nude most of the time i go into pvp
    This isnt a buff to frost (the retarded op spec)..

Yep, now the frost mages will be even more op with the critical mass buff and being to spread their combustion to another target

Oh wait...

Inferno Blast now spreads Ignite, Pyroblast, and Combustion to 3 surrounding targets.
    Are they done picking on fire mages yet? Yeah fire was strong at aoe but it takes time to build up and they already nerfed the hell out of combustion 50%. There are plenty of other classes/specs that are still amazing at aoe and others that are not but none of them are being touched.

Back in classic every aoe spell had unlimited targets but few classes had aoe's. Then they put damage caps on aoe's that made them do a maximum amount of damage regardless of ap/sp (but crits didn't count toward the cap) so that aoe dps vs 10 mobs would be the same as vs 100 but that they would design encounters to never need to aoe more than ~10 mobs. Then they added aoe for every class so that nobody would be left out even though many of the aoe's were still garbage and have a min or max number of mobs that are needed to be effective.

Now we're left in this ridiculous situation where there's no consistency at all when it comes to aoe's and they put a few huge ~10-20 mob trash pulls in all the raids. Some classes/specs have aoe's that are uncapped and do huge damage often through dots (any tanks, dk's, ass rogues, sv hunters, etc.), some have uncapped aoe that does pathetic damage and doesn't become viable until the mob count is relatively high (combat/sub rogues), some have capped aoe that is usually mediocre at best for 5-10 mobs (things like arcane explosion, blizzard, rain of fire) and get terribly out-shined by uncapped aoe's as the mob count increases, while not technically aoe - some have multitarget "cleave" type spells (chain lightning, blade flurry, sweeping strikes) which excel at low mob counts.

While variety is good, the disparity between aoe's is far too great. They need to bring all true aoe's closer in line with each other and decide whether to uncap them all or to cap them all and stop designing encounters that exceed the caps. Cleave type abilities should also be reigned in to not provide such large dps increases because it makes class/spec stacking more mandatory.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 07:08 AM ----------

Critical mass is a fire spec passive that used to give 1.5x crit chance but was nerfed and is only getting a minor buff that is still much less than it originally was. Inferno Blast is a fire spec spell getting a HUGE NERF that cripples fire spec aoe and turns it into a spec that can only cleave 3 targets. Neither of these affect PvP much at all.

This taint-stuff is really driving me nuts. And it says the cause is another addon every time, and sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes /reload fixed it, sometimes you have to reload multiple times. Ugh, so annoying.

paragon #1 for me. others opinion in this case are no matter whatsoever
    13/13

Monk

Quote Originally Posted by phuzi0n View Post
    [/COLOR]
    Critical mass is a fire spec passive that used to give 1.5x crit chance but was nerfed and is only getting a minor buff that is still much less than it originally was. Inferno Blast is a fire spec spell getting a HUGE NERF that cripples fire spec aoe and turns it into a spec that can only cleave 3 targets. Neither of these affect PvP much at all.
    Are you daft?

The inferno blast change is a buff. It used to affect 2 nearby targets with our dots, now it does 3. Totaling 4 targets now instead of 3.

4 > 3

Also fwiw, if you are trying to help down 10 target adds, change up your bomb to Frost Bomb. Ya ignite spread is still limited but this helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    That mini Asmodan both scares me, and makes me go Aww

This

Quote Originally Posted by Kiore View Post
    Are you daft?

The inferno blast change is a buff. It used to affect 2 nearby targets with our dots, now it does 3. Totaling 4 targets now instead of 3.

4 > 3

Also fwiw, if you are trying to help down 10 target adds, change up your bomb to Frost Bomb. Ya ignite spread is still limited but this helps.

What is wrong with people ? lol. So many people crying about being nerfed more.. This hotfix is making me want to log on my mage ASAP because it is actually a buff in both aspects.

Deleted
    Ok, so instead of 0.25 nerf to critical mass we have a 0.20 nerf. Yeah, FUCK U blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by blaxter View Post
    Ok, so instead of 0.25 nerf to critical mass we have a 0.20 nerf. Yeah, FUCK U blizzard.
    I dont know about you but i was still doing fine as Fire. I mean i was very pissed when the nerf hit but I still get ridiculous strings of Pyros. Anything helps at this point.