Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

PC Gamer's GOTY Nominations are up

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/11/pc...year-nominees/

Seems like a pretty weak mix in most areas, GOTY in particular. I'm expecting Dishonored will win it because it's a Bethesda game and it's commercial journalism (how the fuck else can you explain ANY of their other games winning that status?), but none of the other contenders are, IMO, particularly strong. I'd say X-COM and Walking Dead are the best choices since X-COM showed everyone you can make a modern reboot that stays faithful to the original and still be financially successful, and Walking Dead's been an interesting take on the adventure genre.

None of the multiplayer titles have what it takes to be GOTY. None of the three are at all friendly to newbies, and at least two of the three (Tribes and Planetside) still have some kinks to work out, and maybe some balance issues. Dota 2 would be an immediate GOTY winner if it was more newbie-friendly... maybe next year, since it'll probably be officially released by then.

Strategy feels like it'll go to X-COM with Crusader Kings II being a runner-up. CK2 is an amazingly fun game and a very interesting departure from the 4X genre you might associate it with initially, but X-COM... man, it's great.

MMO? Pff, who cares? Probably World of Warcraft because it's Actiblizzion and a commercial gaming journalism, but Planetside 2 has been extremely fun so far. Haven't played GW2 or the other one, but I seriously don't see them being able to compete with Pandaland.

Diablo 3 is gonna take the RPG award, maybe because there apparently haven't been many decent RPGs this year... and because it's a fucking Diablo game, even if it sucks ass compared to the other Diablo games, it's still leagues ahead of anything else.

I'm gonna be pissed if Spec Ops doesn't take the single-player shooter category. It's the first shooter in a LONG, LONG time that actually makes the player consider where they are and what they're doing, and it actually works really well. It's not that there aren't other good entries in the category (Far Cry 3 is supposed to be really good), but that Spec Ops is really unique and REALLY deserves the award for making it work.

Multiplayer shooter... that's a tough one, honestly. I want to hand it to Natural Selection 2, but I've heard there are some bad balance issues right now. Planetside 2 is like Battlefield on steroids and reminds me a lot of how good Battlefield used to be before consoles fucked everything up. I want to hand it to Tribes simply because it has the highest skill ceiling and best overall gameplay of any of the options, but... man, it's a tough one. I'll probably be happy with any of them winning it, they're all deserving of it in their own way.

eSports? Automatic win for Dota 2, it's not even a fucking race. League of Legends is complete trash compared to it, and while Starcraft II is still strong, Blizzard's handling of it in regards to eSports leaves a fuckton of a lot to be wished for. While Valve is active and interested in making sure Dota 2 receives wide recognition, it feels like Blizzard blew their wad out of the gate and then left it there to congeal and rot and I'm gonna stop this analogy now.

Black Mesa's probably gonna take the mod award. DayZ's pretty impressive in its own right... but it's a fucking zombie mod. No, just... no. You're gonna hear a story on the news about some crazy guy stabbing people with those plastic sporks you get from Taco Bell if they give it to that fucking Game of Thrones mod for CK2... so goddamn sick of hearing about that shitty show.

Pretty sure Walking Dead's the only contender for adventure. Lone Survivor was an interesting experience in making a sort of 2D Silent Hill, but it's just that - an experiment. It doesn't feel like a full-featured, complete game.

I'm not even sure what "short-form" means but I guess it's a more politically correct term for "indie." In that case, I'd say it's an even tie between FTL and Grimrock. FTL is basically Rogue in space while Grimrock is in most ways a modern reboot of Ultima Underworld. They're both amazing games, and everyone should pick them up when they inevitably go on sale for like $1.99 during this year's holiday sale.

And, like usual, literally no one gives two shits about the simulator category so they can give it to whoever and the only reaction people will have is "huh?"
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    [url]

Diablo 3 is gonna take the RPG award, maybe because there apparently haven't been many decent RPGs this year... and because it's a fucking Diablo game, even if it sucks ass compared to the other Diablo games, it's still leagues ahead of anything else.

I'm not convinced. The other three games are all ALL vastly superior to D3. I guess they could buy the award but D3 is a pile of dog shit imho.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-12-11 at 02:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    I'm not convinced. The other three games are all ALL vastly superior to D3. I guess they could buy the award but D3 is a pile of dog shit imho.
    Well, it's commercial journalism. The game that wins isn't necessarily the best, just the one that received the most hype and/or handed out the most free goodies to the various publications.

That said, I don't feel any of the entries in the category are very strong. Torchlight 2 didn't do anything new, etc.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Well, it's commercial journalism. The game that wins isn't necessarily the best, just the one that received the most hype and/or handed out the most free goodies to the various publications.

That said, I don't feel any of the entries in the category are very strong. Torchlight 2 didn't do anything new, etc.
    yeah but alteast TL2 stuck with the arpg fomula rather than butchering it and dumbing it down to the masses.

You haven't played torchlight 2 then.

Tl2 was a 15 dollar game that continued the tradition abandoned by the bigger developer and it's 60 dollar title and included support for 48392043920 features that the bigger guys have all but abandoned. It is vastly superior in that sense alone and deserves the win.

Personally I like all other 3 games ahead of Diablo and would probably grant the award to either Mass Effect or Torchlight 2. Of course saying I enjoyed mass effect 3 will likely get me flamed and will cause an avalanche of posts telling me why it's shit and why I'm shit for liking it.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-12-11 at 02:43 PM.

D3 better not take the RPG award, because it's not even a finished product.

10+ Year Old Account

doesnt need to be something new everytime aslong as its fun and gives you something to do for awile its a winner in my book

and i wish people would stop thinking a shooter with a big world is an mmo planetside might be big but unless your always with your team it can be very barren and lonely

and dude dota 2 is the complete trash everyone ahs a key or game copy by now its not funny

dayz is a joke just an overhyped zombie survival with a ton of lag bugs glitches and hackers constantly "nuking" the server
    Last edited by Achaman; 2012-12-11 at 02:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... The most noticeable part of that list? How weak just about all the nominees are. Surprised Assassin's Creed III nor Hitman Absolution are no where to be found.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

On the mmo part it's a tough say between rift storm legion and Gw2. Both are amazing.

MoP was really just the same old same old. Level up to max, grind dungeons, do raids, grind dailys to do raids.

dayz is a joke just an overhyped zombie survival with a ton of lag bugs glitches and hackers constantly "nuking" the server
    This is just a retarded statement. DayZ put the punch back in Zombie Survival games, revived a shitty ARMA franchise, and spawned about 4 other copycat games. I played it and its a breakthrough in immersion.

Deleted
    For Esports

for me it's between SC2 And LoL

i don't think Dota 2 can even compare to those two and the game isn't even released yet

(even though everyone and their unborn sister got a key)

10+ Year Old Account
    Persona 4 Golden for RPG of the year, shame it's not even mentioned.

I'm not quite okay with Dark Souls and D3/Torchlight 2 being in the same category they're so vastly different its an impossible comparison. That being said Dark Souls was probably the best game I've played in years, it really is a throwback to the "good days" of gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    For Esports

for me it's between SC2 And LoL

i don't think Dota 2 can even compare to those two and the game isn't even released yet

(even though everyone and their unborn sister got a key)
    You kidding? Dota 2 has a much larger following than LoL. I haven't compared it to SC2 recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's larger, too. Hell, Dota has more followers in China alone than LoL has on the entire planet.

Deleted
    ... inb4 not long ago it was proven that Lol have 24 million monthly players.. and is the game with most hours played each month..

Dota2 got 300k on peak time where as Lol have millions... where do you get your facts from?? Starcraft used to be the biggest Esport in china but now it's Lol with Sc 2 after it... haven't seen anything about Dota 2

Also on all streaming sites there's minimum 3 times as many watchers on Lol than on Dota 2

Disregarding esports entirely is there even an actual game besides something random on facebook that has a higher player count than LoL?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    Disregarding esports entirely is there even an actual game besides something random on facebook that has a higher player count than LoL?

Not officially.. not what i've seen

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The walking dead will win an award just due to the fact it won the spike game of the year award. Usually what ever wins that gets a few more trophy's to put on the shelf. Personally I think its a great game that deserves game of the year. It has been a very long time since I played a game that brought out any type of emotion or longing to keep replaying to see different outcomes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Tl2 was a 15 dollar game that continued the tradition abandoned by the bigger developer and it's 60 dollar title and included support for 48392043920 features that the bigger guys have all but abandoned. It is vastly superior in that sense alone and deserves the win.

Personally I like all other 3 games ahead of Diablo and would probably grant the award to either Mass Effect or Torchlight 2. Of course saying I enjoyed mass effect 3 will likely get me flamed and will cause an avalanche of posts telling me why it's shit and why I'm shit for liking it.
    i didn't hate mass effect 3 so much as i was severly dissapointed in it. didn't care for the story ending. and the over dlcification of the game came across as ea trying to milk it till the cows came home dead from overexertion. also a few design choices i did not agree with were somewhat offputting but overall i thought it was an ok game. is it something i would replay again? maybe once but not twice.